LegacyGT.com

Rebuilding a 5mt..wanne see?

PaulFWMotorsports

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:lol: at brady

You'd be amazed what I see in the field!

People mix and match gears with the wrong pressure angle all the time and say it's fine, or they'll have their center distances off and can't figure out why their gears are binding. That's the joke at work. Or on sprockets "that looks fine. just tighten your chain and it should be good!"

:lol:

what what?? how??? by what process does someone destroy gears like that?

by not fully or cleanly engaging the gear before releasing the clutch is one method.

But really, the thing is that once one tooth snaps, it's like snapping teeth off a comb. They just all kind of shear at the base. So you Power Shift and shock the tranny and one tooth snaps and they usually go in groups, or in deals like this, they all get sheared off.

by not fully or cleanly engaging the gear before releasing the clutch is one method.

But really, the thing is that once one tooth snaps, it's like snapping teeth off a comb. They just all kind of shear at the base. So you Power Shift and shock the tranny and one tooth snaps and they usually go in groups, or in deals like this, they all get sheared off.

yea the the gear thats doing the breaking has all the space to accel smack the next gear after the gap in the teeth (that text is brown for a reason :lol: )

DING!

DING!

DING!

We have a winner!!

Third is almost always the gear that gets shreaded.

Just to clear the air, this destroyed gearset is not an RA set...just the 2nd USDM set.

i wonder why? in my honda days 3rd always went on the b series, also 3rd would crunch on my lancer at near redline shift....

DING!

DING!

DING!

We have a winner!!

Third is almost always the gear that gets shreaded.

Just to clear the air, this destroyed gearset is not an RA set...just the 2nd USDM set.

Ok, so it's been a few years since I've paid any attention to shredded gears, but I thought it used to be on the subies that 2nd was the gear to get shredded (when the WRX was first released in the US at least) ... what changed? Or was it just the synchros that were going before?

Also, Paul, I don't deal with this type of transmission ever (I deal a lot more with straight cut spur gears, rack, straight cut bevel gears, and worm reducers).

Trying to figure out exactly how this works ... it looks like the gear teeth are always meshed but run idle until they're engaged by something like an internal spline (where the synchros appear to mesh). I guess I've never given too much thought to exactly how our tranny's REALLY work.

When you've broken your fourth 5-speed transmission, let me know:

http://webpages.charter.net/gbayley/misc/pic_01.jpg

Yes indeed, that's a wasted first gear yuo are looking at.

http://webpages.charter.net/gbayley/misc/pic_02.jpg

Time to adjust your driving style? :icon_tong

I've got the old lady's Oldsmobile to get the groceries... :lol:

Track days and ~300 whp horsepower WILL eventually destroy a 5 speed. I've seen motorcycle transmissions with bigger gears than the Subaru 5 speeds.

Archived