LegacyGT.com

Rebuilding a 5mt..wanne see?

PaulFWMotorsports

Also, Paul, I don't deal with this type of transmission ever (I deal a lot more with straight cut spur gears, rack, straight cut bevel gears, and worm reducers).

Trying to figure out exactly how this works ... it looks like the gear teeth are always meshed but run idle until they're engaged by something like an internal spline (where the synchros appear to mesh). I guess I've never given too much thought to exactly how our tranny's REALLY work.

I think mccorry posted this up recently (have to give credit where its due). I had no idea what was going on inside the tranny, now I have a pretty good idea (I think:)),

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission.htm

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nope, you just swap in an STi 6MT. If you look at the Bayley's profile, it looks like he's done that already.

:woowoo:

I'm just a lowly WRX guy... yet all my friends (three of them at least) all have LGT's. Not sure what that says about me... :confused:

Anyway, one of these LGT friends plans on dropping in an 18G with STi intake setup. He's got all the parts lined up to drop in, he just needs to put his busted Jeep back together. :lol:

I'm sure after a few months of 18G driving, he'll be looking for 6 speed swap ideas.

How much does it cost to rebuild a 5MT with a high performance gear set?

The WRX guys are paying about $4000 for a PPG gear set. Add another $1000 if you plan on having someone build up the case for you.

...that 6 speed swap is starting to sound a whole lot better, isn't it?

You'd be amazed what I see in the field!

People mix and match gears with the wrong pressure angle all the time and say it's fine, or they'll have their center distances off and can't figure out why their gears are binding. That's the joke at work. Or on sprockets "that looks fine. just tighten your chain and it should be good!"

:lol:

anything to save a buck!:lol:

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

How are you supposed to adjust the distance between the two shafts?? (distance between the center of opposing gears?? I thought that was non-adjustable??)

Have you really heard of someone trying to use two different gears together?? Come on!! Do any different gears even mesh together?? None that I've ever seen.

How are you supposed to adjust the distance between the two shafts?? (distance between the center of opposing gears?? I thought that was non-adjustable??)

Correct. The center line of the shafts is not adjustable. You can adjust gear depth by shimming the input shaft (see the shims on the left most input shaft), but you are also changing the pinion depth for the front differential since the pinion shaft runs inside the input shaft. This is when adjust the Subaru transmission REALLY gets fun. :icon_wink

Have you really heard of someone trying to use two different gears together?? Come on!! Do any different gears even mesh together?? None that I've ever seen.

It's a joke.

And as far as your questions on the gears, yes. There are many many types of gears, and there are dimensions on those gears you'd never even think about. One of them is called the pressure angle, and it relates to the actual shape of the profile of the tooth. Changing your pressure angle can affect the amount of noise from the gears, it can affect the amount of torque the teeth can handle, and all kinds of other stuff. In some cases, the teeth will have a slight spiral to them as well. It looks to me that these teeth are just straight helical gears, but it's hard to tell sometimes. Even the angle on the helical gears can vary, so in some cases, it might look like they fit, but they really don't. They'll mesh, but you'll have problems soon.

Anyway, more importantly, the shaft thing was a joke, more relating to the industry I work in and some of the backwoods engineering solutions I see. ;)

Just out of curiosity - exactly _what_ do you have to do to make that happen?

Drive it like you stole it.

Car is stock & the owner is immature.

Hopefully, a $4k repair bill will mature him right quick.

But specifically, he was drag racing light to light, shifted into 3rd, and dumped the clutch/hit the gass too hard too many times.

I have noticed three seperate times now when I am beating on my LGT it has "mis-gated" 3rd. Driver error? Maybe... but methinks there is somethin' fishy with the LGT tranny and 3rd gear.

Hmmm. 6 speed. Neato. Too damn bad it takes so many parts in order to make that change. I'd be on that like flys on a rib roast.

Drive it like you stole it.

Car is stock & the owner is immature.

Hopefully, a $4k repair bill will mature him right quick.

But specifically, he was drag racing light to light, shifted into 3rd, and dumped the clutch/hit the gass too hard too many times.

Car is Stock :spin::icon_eek::spin:

I hate to say it, but maybe they should give this kid a beater until he grows up a bit! That is damn crazy!

...that the damage is caused by operator error. They were cool with that & realized that this RA gearset is no fix for dumb.

1. You can't fix stupid.

2. there is no amount of engineering to compensate for a loose nut behind the wheel.

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

...that the damage is caused by operator error. They were cool with that & realized that this RA gearset is no fix for dumb.

1. You can't fix stupid.

2. there is no amount of engineering to compensate for a loose nut behind the wheel.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Archived