LegacyGT.com

Mitsubishi Evo IX

Hey everyone. I dont plan on selling my car because i truly do love it, but i was curious if any of the members on here have come from an evo backround or even better have an evo IX in their arsenal. I've been reading a bunch about them and i hear the new mivec along w/ the twinscroll stock turbo w/ just a test pipe delete and tune can put out near 320whp 330wtq. It just struck me as odd because of all the money it costs to get our cars even close to the same level of performance, evo 600 lgt 2k+. What are your opinions about these vehicles, im gonna go test drive on this week i think. I know the interior is nothing on par to ours, but just wanna get some feedback on ur opinions.

-Thanks,

Jeff

06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

As you mentioned above, it does cost a lot to bring the LGT to comparable levels to the Evo. This is also the same for the STi (sort of). What I mean is it's a lot cheaper to make the Evo go fast than the STi.

The performance and handling is amazing, and it's very easy to drive. (My experience is with an 8 MR)

-ben

The EVO is best compared to the STi.

As a track car, I don't think you can compare it. The EVO is better.

However, I don't believe all the whp numbers. It is cheaper to mod the STi then it is to mod the EVO. My friend has an EVO 9 MR and he doesn't make ANYWHERE near 320 hp on a mustang dyno on 91 octane and he has a lot more mods than a test pipe. You're going to want a new O2 housing and a catback at least.

I don't have his dyno sheets in front of me, but IIRC, the LGT makes more power between 3000 and 4000 rpm. The EVO may be twinscroll, but it is still short 0.5 liter displacement. That's not a problem for my friend since he drives between 4000 and 8000 rpm.

I forgot how much my friend paid for his EVO IX MR, but it was in the high 30's. I think that's about 13K dollars more than I paid for my LGT wagon.

Everyone has to respect the EVO, but it's really a different market than the LGT.

I drove an EVO IX MR last weekend with the Vishnu Stage 1, plus HKS cams and cam gears. This car makes 400 flywheel HP and put down 315WHP and about the same torque on 91 octane when tuned at Vishnu Performance. Car is capable of high 11's.

The Vishnu Stage 1 alone is good for a 1/4 mile in 12.1 seconds at 114mph for $1995 in parts!

Here's a link

http://www.vishnutuning.com/evoIX_Stage1_v400.htm

I think the car is awesome for what it is. It is cheaper to mod than the STi/LGT, mainly because the 4g63 has been around since the stone age. Insurance (even more than an STi for me) and Mitsubishi quality is the only downside.

I had a 4g63 powered Eclipse and will never go back. That is mainly the reason why I can't gives props to the EVO. Any car can be made into a performer, hell take a old 5.0 and throw a Nos kit on it. But how long will it continue to perform? The answer for my GS-T was, not long at all!

Have you guys priced out a turboback for the evo? Don't forget the O2 housing.

There are a lot more options for the STi... including cheaper options.

My friend's evo 9 has a complete turboback plus upgraded fmic piping and he makes about 27x whp on a mustang dyno. Torque was less than stage 2 STi.

The only place where you can clearly save money is on the tuning. AFAIK, a lot of evos are protuned using opensource tools. My friend paid $500 for his initial protune plus $150 for updates on a dyno. He spends so much money at his shop that they will dyno his car for free most of the time.

Budget evo killer (in the straights at least):

Well if you do it real budget style (used) you could get an ap for 400, dp for 200, uppipe for 80, tdc's bb 18g 950 (with the vf40 trade in) +fuel pump 200, that would come out to $1830 for parts. If you did it yourself you would be done. If you had labor then it could run you $2400-2600. I think that setup could definately run with modded evo's because this setup would be over 300 whp. But this is definately a good setup.

But yes it does anger me how easy it is to make those darn evo's fast. Piggy bank ecu and dp and they run 12's for easily under 900. But that motor has been arounddd forever so it makes sense.

I was under the impression that the Evo was cheaper to mod than the STi. Maybe I'm wrong.. Anyone else care to share their thoughts?

The EVO IX can run 11's on pump gas with the stock turbo, the 2007 STI is close with a low 12 sec pass, but are kept out of the 11's without meth, race gas, or a bigger snail. The previous year STI's were not as fast as the 2007.

This thread is full of good info

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1166904

Makes me want a 2007 STI VF43 for my LGT

Notice a common theme here? All these turbo cars with a reputation for "easy speed" share one aspect: a large stock turbo. Of course it's easy to go faster when they already give you the hairdryer(s)!

Supra? Stock twins good for 117+ mph with a fuel system that can support it too. Even my 4000lb land barge (Stealth) did 109 on turbos so small they look like demo samples. The "plain" WRX would have an awesome reputation if it only came with something bigger than the TD04 they use now. Hell, the LGT would be flying off the lots if it was found to have some big untapped power.

I would certainly hope that a one-trick car that comes with a big 16g, FMIC, and runs 19 psi from the factory could run low 12s or quicker without much more work. John Shepherd had a Talon that ran high 11s with less work than that! He ran in the "stock appearing" class for years and it truly did look stock.

Ever priced Mitsubishi upgrades? They'd laugh a vendor out of town if they asked $1400 for just an 18g. Forced Performance is selling big 16g's for $450. Don't peek at their new oem-appearing EvoGreen either -- 10-sec timeslips, 127+ mph traps, all in a stock-looking housing. That's the kind of turbo I'd spend $1800 on.

not only that but rumor that the X is bigger, and will only be in paddle shifting, no stick. However suspension has some crazy yaw sensing abilities and is ridiculous from what i've been reading.
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

yea its a new awd sysyem thats supposed to be insane. There is a clip on the net showing the current system in the snow and then next generations, a huge difference. Very impressive since they did a real good job on the Evo awd.

But if there is no stick I'm saving up for something else :).........

Who needs tickets to the gun show?:eek:

i test drove the hell out of an evo IX MR.. twice. great car, very nice and well made. however, i have to say, hanging out with both the STI/WRX crowd and EVO crowd, when it comes to modding and reliability, the STI wins big time. i drove an STI Lmtd shortly after my crazy test drive of the evo9, and say it was very close in handling and performance. however, for us up here, the dealership and service dept make a big difference. i get support and help from the subie dealer vs no support and eager to void your warranty claims at the mitsu dealer. plus, since the hubby works in service at the subie dealer, i know all the mechanics and they know how to mod their own subies and cars. so far, most everything done to my LGT has all been done by a Sube mechanic or had one within reach if i had a snag.

qualitywise, i still pick the STI over the EVO, but the EVO is still a great car for performance and money.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Archived