LegacyGT.com

Best Jack Point for Rotating Tires?

i have 2 harbor freight racing jacks and just use the factory jack points. i sandwich

a piece of wood to clear the verticle rails.

i was about to buy one Sears racing jack, but just got 2 new HF ones... imho,

they are pretty damn good for the price. make sure you lube the roller every

now and then as i had one that seized up.

yes, I put the jack stands where the car's jack would usually go.

My darn AC Delco jackstands have too deep a "V" to prevent damage to the car if put there, so I just used the framerails up front, and the tubular rear subframe pieces in the back. I cut up some old carpet for padding between the stands and the car.

-Ryan

i know we're only talking about rotating tires, but if you guys ever decide to work

under the car with jackstands, it's a good idea to lay your wheel/tires under your

car just to be on the safe side... could save your life if the car slips off. :)

I think most of us are confused as to the actual size of the jack point. I was originally under the impression was like 1.5-2" wide because that was the size of that notch in the pinch weld (just big enough to accomodate the stock "jack"). Perhaps he means that he is looking for a safe distance on either side of that 2" notch in which it is ok to jack.
The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

The fastest method here is to use the front jack point at the rocker panel pinch seam and lift the whole side of the car at once. It won't hurt the car, just do get under it.

Depending on the style of jack you have you may have a hard time fitting the jackstand under the reinforced area of the rocker seam. Using the reinforced area is the only option, or the seam will crush.

^^^Now that was something that I tried. The car seemed to be at such an awkward angle that I chickened out.

:lol: That is why I said do it quick, and don't get under it!

Someone else mentioned putting a tire under the car while its under the jack in the likely event it falls( always assume it WILL fall). If you have a spare wheel and tire hanging around, it is a good suggestion. I air tools at home so I can blast thru the whole thing in 10 minutes.

Quick story: I was 18 and had a parts car on a jack while I was getting some spare shift linkage clips off it. I was under the car, no jackstands (read, young and dumb). I got out from under to go into the garage and not even 60 seconds later I went back out and the car was lying on the ground:eek:

• 4 years later...

Pics anyone ?

I need to get down there to take out the oxygen sensors... with 170K it's past due and SES light came on..

Heh.. found the pics i need

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/12645-front-rear-center-jacking-points.html

My soobie is a 2000GT station wagon with the plastic trimings on the sides, so looks much more picky to jack it up or put the jackstand in there... aham... no owner's manual - used cars don't come with manuals ... well mine didn't :rolleyes:

thks guys.

• 4 years later...
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I am seeing different thoughts on actual rotation method...is it enough to swap the front driver side tire to the rear driver side or does the front driver side tire need to go to the rear passenger side?

i have the same tires ive been doing mine fronts to back and keeping them on the same side like they were directional.

The DWS is not a directional tire, but they have an outside and inside mounting orientation. In other words, they can be mounted on either side so long as they are properly oriented on the wheel(s). That being said I rotate front to rear on the same side.

Can you elaborate more on this orientation? Also, have you guys been going front to back (without crossing) on these tires for a good amount of time with no wear? My dws tires are wearing almost perfectly even and I don't want to mess it up

Can you elaborate more on this orientation?

I'm pretty sure he's referring to this.. Some tires will have "outside" stamped on the sidewall of one side of the tire.

I'm not sure if tire companies stamp both "outside" and "inside" on the sidewalls, or just "outside".

Either way, you should see outside when you're outside your car looking at your tires, and you might see "inside" stamped on the sidewall of the the tires that faces the engine.

Conti DWS tires will be marked both as "inside" and "outside". This comes in handy when you pick up the new tires for your daughter's car and the "inside" is on the wrong side. The head writer at my local shop ensured me that lessons would be learned that afternoon (I've been with this place for 20+ years with the same 2 writers and they know I just chuckle about this and let them do what they've gotta do).

From the looks of it, with my specific tire I can do front to back and back to front OR front to back and cross backs to front... seems like the 2nd option is marginally better. I had already crossed front to back and back to front so I'll leave that be for a while and see how they wear

Archived