LegacyGT.com

Best Jack Point for Rotating Tires?

I'm looking for the best way to jack up one side of my car, so that I can rotate my tires one side at a time. My thoughts were:

1. Just jack the whole damn thing up using the front jack point/rear diff - This is what I do for an oil change anyway, but as it happens the tires need to be rotated at a different point than my oil change (stupid fvcking NJ potholes). Time consuming, but guaranteed to work.
  2. Jack up one side using the front or rear side jack point - Thought about this too, but would it torque the frame too much to get both L or R side wheels off the ground by just jacking from the front or rear side jack point? Again, the answer is probably no, but I wanted to check.
  3. Jack it up under the B-pillar - My gut tells me that this is a bad idea, but I wanted to check since it seems like it would put more equal stresses on the frame than option 2.

Thanks guys. I know it seems like a dumb question, but I wanted to play it safe and avoid something n00bish that might damage my car.

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

If you don't have two jacks, use a jack and a stand.

Jack up one corner and support it with a jack stand. Move the jack to the other corner on the same side of the car and raise it.

Rotate tires.

Lower the jack and move it back to the other end. Lift the car off the stand to remove it, then lower the car.

Repeat the procedure on the other side.

Hmm, I had considered that. I didn't try it because my floor jack is a Craftsman 88lb. back-breaker jack. It takes up so much space that I would have to jack next to the jack point to get a jack stand under the same jack point. I guess I was too much of a wuss to do that but now that I know that others do it...why not? :lol:

As a side note, I guess this might be a good technique, because I've been looking for any way other than to use the front jack point (a real PITA to get to) for oil changes. Could I do the following:

1. Jack up near the front driver's side jack point, support that point with jack stand.
  2. Jack up near the front passenger's side jack point, support that point with a jack stand.
  3. Jack up the rear differential and support both rear jack points with jack stands.
  4. Profit.

Brilliant!

Wait, so all that I've been hearing on this site about jacking up using the rear diff is crap? Whitetiger, what do you suggest as the proper way of getting all four wheels off the ground (assuming that I just use a floor jack)?

^^^Yeah, that is what I was worried about. I had no idea if jacking up one whole side of the car (high enough to get jack stands under both jackpoints) using one jack was good or not.

EDIT: Oops, this was in response to mickeyd.

Just to confirm, if I jack slightly forward or behind the pinch welds, it isn't going to kill anything, right? I need to have enough space to get the jack stand under there once I've jacked the car up.

to swap wheels, i've been successful with your second method. I put my floor jack under the front side jack point and jack it up until the rear wheel is off the ground. Then swap that sides wheels, lower the car, repeat on the other side.

to swap wheels, i've been successful with your second method. I put my floor jack under the front side jack point and jack it up until the rear wheel is off the ground. Then swap that sides wheels, lower the car, repeat on the other side.

this is the best way to do it. id put a jack stand under the read pinch weld though, just in case.. ;)

using the front side hardpoint, you should be able to get one side of the car in the air with one floorjack. (don't jack on the seamwelds, only the points rao mentioned!)

What do the seamwelds look like? I know the pinch weld is the type of joint that leaves a little ridge of metal sticking out (fits right into the notches in my jackstands), but I'm not sure what the other looks like.

the pinch weld is the seam where the trunk tire jack would normally go. look at your owners manual.

Oh yeah I know where the specific jack point is. I just wasn't sure if I can jack right next to that point so I can fit a jack stand at the actual jackpoint. I'm thinking about doing this for an oil change (getting all four wheels off the ground, a la post 932348 above), so I wanted to make sure that it is safe.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Oh yeah I know where the specific jack point is. I just wasn't sure if I can jack right next to that point so I can fit a jack stand at the actual jackpoint. I'm thinking about doing this for an oil change (getting all four wheels off the ground, a la post 932348 above), so I wanted to make sure that it is safe.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

this is how i jack cars up for all the installs i do. its the best way and gives you all the room you need.

Two jacks on one side...

+1. You can get a second jack on sale at Sears for under $50.

Also, I did this once, but I don't remember if it was a Legacy or some other car. You jack up the front at the jack point, then insert a smallish jackstand at the rear jack point. As you begin to lower the jack, the rear wheel will lift up. There's a sweet spot where both wheels are off the ground.

this is how i jack cars up for all the installs i do. its the best way and gives you all the room you need.

Are there some pics attached to your post and my web filter is blocking them, or are you saying that my quoted post is correct and I'm good to go?

actually, using the centrally located rear diff and the front lift points are the best ways to put the car on stands.

Do you folks use the seam/pinch weld points for the jackstands once the car is in the air? I've been winging it as far as where to put the jackstands...

-Ryan

Do you folks use the seam/pinch weld points for the jackstands once the car is in the air? I've been winging it as far as where to put the jackstands...

-Ryan

yes, I put the jack stands where the car's jack would usually go.

Archived