LegacyGT.com

HELP! AP v2 car wont start!

integroid

the issue with not turning over is strange.... with my bad flash the car would not turn over for anything, then after having my ecu benchflashed, the car would only not start because it had been sitting for two weeks with the XM radio on :lol: but with a jump and having the car in gear (because of borked neutral/clutch interlock switch) it started up....

Where did you get a bench flash?

Wondering just in case I screw something up.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I have a question, considering this is the first time I have ever done any type of serious modifications to a car, should I have a tune shop install my AP? I really don't want to screw something up to where I wouldn't have a car. I have Mach V up the road and AMS Tuning in Maryland. What do you guys think?

So I have a question, considering this is the first time I have ever done any type of serious modifications to a car, should I have a tune shop install my AP? I really don't want to screw something up to where I wouldn't have a car. I have Mach V up the road and AMS Tuning in Maryland. What do you guys think?

the whole point of the AP is so the user can basically reflash without the need of a professional....

the whole point of the AP is so the user can basically reflash without the need of a professional....

As long as there are precise directions, I should be fine, but just thought I would ask. Mine is still in the mail from TDC. I ordered in on Dec 13th

Well, just got a tracking number from Cobb for my AP v2 and my ECU. Apparently, a faulty AP caused this whole ordeal. The ECU and AP will be at APR tomorrow morning and should have my car back tomorrow night. It was very nice of Cobb to send my stuff UPS Next Day Saturday Delivery. I will keep everyone updated when I get my car back.

Just so everyone knows.. Colby did ship my ECU when he said he did. I just recieved it today, a month and a half later!! DHL screwed up somewhere. It shows on the waybil that it was picked up Nov 21, 2006. but there was no tracking of it at that time as if it was never picked up. On the tracking website right now it shows picked up Nov 21st and then next entry is January 2nd. Weird! IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A NEXT DAY DELIVERY!!

It cost me over $500 because of that! At least I have a spare ECU...

I wonder if it would still work as far as the immobilizer goes.. Would it have the same code as they programmed into my replacement ECU?

If I can only get yebokmj to refund my money for the broken ECU he send me that would be great!

Well, bad news, got everything in my car and same thing. ER HC in odometer display and the car won't turn over and crank. Hell, the fuel pump doesnt even initalize. ANyone have any ideas on what else it could be? Do you think the BIU got fried during the bad flash with the AP?

Just so everyone knows.. Colby did ship my ECU when he said he did. I just recieved it today, a month and a half later!! DHL screwed up somewhere. It shows on the waybil that it was picked up Nov 21, 2006. but there was no tracking of it at that time as if it was never picked up. On the tracking website right now it shows picked up Nov 21st and then next entry is January 2nd. Weird! IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A NEXT DAY DELIVERY!!

It cost me over $500 because of that! At least I have a spare ECU...

I wonder if it would still work as far as the immobilizer goes.. Would it have the same code as they programmed into my replacement ECU?

If I can only get yebokmj to refund my money for the broken ECU he send me that would be great!

wow, I apologize to colby for casting any bad light on him.

Consider anything negative I said about his handling of this incident null and void, it really wasn't his fault at all.

Well, bad news, got everything in my car and same thing. ER HC in odometer display and the car won't turn over and crank. Hell, the fuel pump doesnt even initalize. ANyone have any ideas on what else it could be? Do you think the BIU got fried during the bad flash with the AP?

No, the BIU is not involved in the flash process at all. If your ECU had been bench flashed then you need to load a map onto it first, then marry the Accessport.

PM bmorrisj for more info on what's involved after having his ECU bench flashed.

Have you tried just marrying the accessport?

You may want to find someone with the Openport cable and get them to flash a base stock image to the ECU. This should clear the ER HC message. Also, check the fuse for the ECU. It maybe blown. Also check the main relay. If your car was boosted the main relay and the main fuse may have went.

I can tell you that finding a used ECU is a nightmare. I searched for over a month and came across 1 05 Manual Tranny ECU at a junkyard. All others turned up to be for Auto tranny. Mine is from a 05 Outback XT with a different part number but works fine.

One thing to remember is that if you have to find a used ECU make sure that the last letter in the part number (like 22611AJ17 (a) (b) © (d) ) is at least a (b) unless your original one is an (a). Subaru removed a sensor in the gas tank in the (b)

Ohh, You did unplug the green test connector right above the ECU right?

Thanks zuczek for the advice.

Supposedly, Cobb benchflashed the ecu and put a stock base map on it. I will have my friend try to marry the AP and send a base map to it again.

I wish bjmorris would chime in:(

That s*cks.

Hope you get your car fixed soon.

One thing that I didn't understand was Trey@Cobb's comment regarding the engine cranking over. I was under the impression that an LGT (not all cars) with a corrupted ECU ROM will not turn over. He said that it would turn over because the starter was independent of the ECU.

zuczek and bmorrisj, did your cars crank over when your ECUs were in need of a bench flash?

That s*cks.

Hope you get your car fixed soon.

One thing that I didn't understand was Trey@Cobb's comment regarding the engine cranking over. I was under the impression that an LGT (not all cars) with a corrupted ECU ROM will not turn over. He said that it would turn over because the starter was independent of the ECU.

zuczek and bmorrisj, did your cars crank over when your ECUs were in need of a bench flash?

NO! It behaves like you didn't press the clutch in to start. No cranking, no fuel pump activity.

If the only problem with the ECU is that the immobilizer is not programmed in to it, then the car will crank over and even start for a brief moment but there will be no ER HC message. But if the ROM is corrupted then it just shows ER HC and it's dead.

i was able to drive my car with Er HC after i got my ecu back from Colby... i just had to start the car in gear w/ the clutch... the map i put on had the clutch interlock/neutral safety all wierd.... the main problem was that before the bench flash i could not communicate with the ecu nor a subaru tech with ssm tool....

oh and my starter wouldnt crank for anything when this first happened...

once again the main problem for us was that there was no communication to the ecu, like it wasnt there...

you need to check and see if you can communicate with the ecu... (ecuflash, ecuexplorer, subaru dealear/ssm) the easiest being openecu tools... you may get nailed checking with the dealer...

thanks bmorrisj. It sounds like I am having the same problem with my ECU/CAR. What was causing your car to not be able to communicate to the ecu? What did you do to fix the problem? Just a benchflash? If so, Cobb suposedly did that last week and sent me back the benchflashed ecu.

after Colby benchflased and sent me my ecu, it still had the bad rom and ErHC on it.... but he rewrote the bootstrap with all the communication initialization.... so subaru ssm was able to communicate, i paid my hour of labor to the tech and took my car with the interior in pieces.... i flashed to one of my known good roms, and that was the end of my problem...

after Colby benchflased and sent me my ecu, it still had the bad rom and ErHC on it.... but he rewrote the bootstrap with all the communication initialization.... so subaru ssm was able to communicate, i paid my hour of labor to the tech and took my car with the interior in pieces.... i flashed to one of my known good roms, and that was the end of my problem...

um,what?

beta testing FTL

um,what?

beta testing FTL

actually it was kind of an aviodable mistake on all parts:lol:

the software worked fine, it was just an incorrect rom revision that relocated parts of the ecu....

i just didnt notice that one of the addresses, when compared to another working rom, that was not normally written to was indeed overwritten.

hindsight says had i left the key on and reflashed, everything would have been fine....

from now on i will be transposing rom maps into my working maps if not modifying them myself, not just downloading from the web and flashing.... that was the first and last time i did that....

so dont let "Flash complete" fool you.... :lol:

actually it was kind of an aviodable mistake on all parts:lol:

the software worked fine, it was just an incorrect rom revision that relocated parts of the ecu....

i just didnt notice that one of the addresses, when compared to another working rom, that was not normally written to was indeed overwritten.

hindsight says had i left the key on and reflashed, everything would have been fine....

from now on i will be transposing rom maps into my working maps if not modifying them myself, not just downloading from the web and flashing.... that was the first and last time i did that....

so dont let "Flash complete" fool you.... :lol:

why do you think I am still on map revision 510C when 521C is out there?

my bootstrap shouldn't ever be overwritten :icon_cool

Archived