Do you wrench on your own car???  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wrench on your own car???

• I do my own work
    • I am afraid to get my hands dirty and pay someone to do it

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There should be more options in this poll. I'll do a lot of work, fluids and maintenance mostly, but I'm saving the subybucks for jobs like spark plugs (which I could probably do, but it's a pain) and timing belt replacement. Hey, this funny money has to be good for something.

:whore: Some poll topics need more choices and this is one of them.

It is still ugly.

We're lucky in the Seattle metro area to have Dave Wise over at www.solar-reflections.com/solar-reflections.html (shamless plug). Dave is a highly skilled Subie mechanic who does great work at fair prices. My mechanical skills are limited by my extreme lack of patience. I'd rather make a donation to a locally-owned & operated small business that's pulling for the cause than spend extra hours in my garage fixing my mistakes.

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

I only wish I had a few tight LGT buddies around me to have install meets. It seems I'm the only Central Valley dude on this site, all the others are either in the Bay Area, Sac town, or LA. Sounds like fun to have though.

We can have a mini install meet if you want to come up to Sonora over New Years. I will be installing my STI UP, Invidia full length catted DP(w/TDC stage 2 FTW), Worx pulley, and Crucial T-stat:)

The Northeast guys can drive a few hours and cross state lines, I drive a few hours and I'm in Fresno, Frisco, or Sac.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Most of the modding stuff is Plug and Play IMHO...I didn't even look at any of the install threads...

But more of the involved stuff may need some help such as a FMIC, or turbo swap (just to make sure I don't mess up the oil feed lines or something), or clutch (though when the time comes I think I'll just figure it out cause it looks fun :icon_wink)

think you will find around the country a few tight LGT communities. I know the preferred way to do it in Chicagoland is to have "install meets". There are things one does by himself and a few things that really need a shoop but usually the preffered way is to get your buddies to lend you a hand and in turn you help them with their project.

I scratch your back you scratch my back type of relationship gets most LGT projects done, I would imagine.

Well in Oklahoma there arent too many Subaru enthusiast in whole let alone a LGT. I am the first LGT in the OK crew. We have meet/work days about every 2 months. Just by reading some of the for sale add's I have seen alot of people saying when the parts get off the car from such and such shop. So that brought my question about. I did every bit of wrenching of my WRX and so far the LGT. I did springs, brakes, sway, headers w/integrated up, Dp,axleback, STS, cleared and painted headlights, HID's and some other goodies with having 2k on the odometer. the local guys here are great and pretty much have general wrenching abilities (righty tighty lefty loosy) and some pretty good subaru knowledge. Luckily we have someone that can tear apart a tranny and put it back together in 4 hours. I know I plan on doing the turbo, fmic, injectors, tgv's and fuel pump on my own. i figured once you have taken one turbo off before you can take any subaru turbo off.

So far i have done my own UP,DP,Catback,Boost Gauge, Turbo Timer, Brake Pads, TMIC, Clutch, Flywheel, and currently doing a Turbo Swap, Catch Can and probably fuel pump. Only things i have not done were my Springs and stereo upgrades mainly because i didnt have time and didnt feel like doing them.

Early life lessons that I have absolutely no talent or ability for it. All I'm good for is getting something started and not being able to finish. So to the shop it goes. I love it that there are great and talented people who want to do the things I'm either not good at or don't want to do.

i do most of my own work. but a friend of mine works at a shop so the lift and air tools come in handy! plus, his general automotive experience is a big help too. i'm an hvac mechanic so troubleshooting anything really isn't a problem. doing the work isn't really a problem. but the more electronic stuff i'll probably bring to someone else.

• 2 weeks later...
I can't justify working 5-6 days a week to hand my check off to some over-paid mechanic (no offense to guys here that are just that). I used to have a Civic that I did all my own work on. I think that doing your own work teaches you a lot about automotive in general. If you can't do your own work, seems that today you can find a friend that can help. I used to meet guys on forums that were local and I had never met before and were more than happy to meet me and help. ::tears of joy::
Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

I do my own work most all the time. If I don't have the directions, some help, or proper tools to do the job, I'll take it to a professional.

Sometimes when I do something I'll mess something up or take double the amount of time it would if I had a professional do it. In the end I save a lot more money and am able to put it toward other things like more upgrades!

It's true. Sometimes it's not even about the money, though. Maybe I just like the satisfaction of knowing that I did it (and even more satisfaction when I don't end up with extra screws/bolts). I used to read a lot of tuner magazines, and their top cars were always cars that a shop did. Where is the pride in handing over your car to a shop, paying them $5k-10k, waiting a month, and having a winning show car? I never understood why the reports were always on cars that a guy/girl never even turned a wrench on their own, where is the honor in that? Why read about a car that some guy sent to a shop for 6 months when you can read about some kid who did an STi swap in his garage by himself in a weekend? What's the point?

im a mechanic. of course i do my own work

I have to ask, how are you paid? For instance, if I'm paying a shop $80+ per hour to work on my car, how much is your cut? It would make me feel better to know that you're still not making that.

Maybe I'm just in an over-priced area, but my local mechanics make $80-90 per hour. How in the heck is that justified? And they charge by the hour (AkA if it takes them 10 mins, you still pay the full hour) How do these guys sleep at night?

Shoot, my school cost $43k a year to go to and I won't even make $80 - 90 per hour......

my shop is 76.50 and hour and i can make $22 and hour book time

my last job the labor rate was 110 or so and the top rate was $24 an hour

How did you feel knowing that they charge people that? Don't get me wrong, certain things are very hard work....but at the same time, other things are a piece of cake and get charged the same rate. I still think it's amazing the rates they charge these days.

When I had my Civic. Every once and a while when I needed a hand, I would call an Ex-Honda Mechanic who did routine maintenance and work for people for less than half of what the dealerships charged, but he was certified just like them. It was funny the stories he would tell about changing headlight bulbs, air filters, etc. The things that he would get paid full price to do....amazing...

I just started doing my own work on the legacy. Oil changes, tire rotations, air filters, and other normal service things. I still don't have enough confidence in myself to do much else. Mostly its because I don't have anybody else to help me, you know, like anybody who has ever done this stuff before :lol:
The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

This isn't brain surgery. Working on cars is so easy, I don't know why some people are afraid of doing it. Its all plug and play, and can mostly be done in a weekend.

If there is something that is a warranty replacement, I really have to think hard about letting the dealership do it. I hate to say it, but even being a novice, I'm a better wrench than most of the tech monkeys at the local Subaru dealership. I have a hard part putting my trust in them.

This isn't brain surgery. Working on cars is so easy, I don't know why some people are afraid of doing it....

Yet, the majority of people in this country dont even know how to pop the hood let alone know how a 4 stroke engine works. You may find it easy as do alot of us on this ENTHUSIAST web site, but for most, the only thing they know about a car is that it can be driven. ;)

Archived