LegacyGT.com

How many people do their own work

antny

Do you wrench on your own car???  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wrench on your own car???

• I do my own work
    • I am afraid to get my hands dirty and pay someone to do it

This isn't brain surgery. Working on cars is so easy, I don't know why some people are afraid of doing it. Its all plug and play, and can mostly be done in a weekend.

If there is something that is a warranty replacement, I really have to think hard about letting the dealership do it. I hate to say it, but even being a novice, I'm a better wrench than most of the tech monkeys at the local Subaru dealership. I have a hard part putting my trust in them.

I think what scares me is that if I screw up, it is an expensive oops. The whole point of me doing this is to learn more about my car, and take pride in its proper care. I'm learning, but I'm sure you triple checked stuff too after your first few oil changes too. I just happen to be starting now instead of when I was like 6, like the rest of you gearheads :lol:

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just did the UP/DP on my car yesterday.

I did springs last year.

I will tackle most jobs short of serious bodywork or a engine/tranny rebuild. It is rewarding and great to learn more about the car.

Also, having done this type of thing for a long time, I can tell you that sites like this are invaluable. Any job I do I plan extensively based on researching on here, and so far it has paid off - I go in knowing what to expect and where the pitfalls are.

It was a heck of a lot harder before the interweb came along, and you had to do figure it out on your own...

:lol:

How about 16 bucks out of 86 is mine to keep......yippee. overhead my ass.

Hence why freelance guys charge around $40/hr, but they keep...um...all $40 of it.

Like I said earlier, my parents used to use this Ex-Honda Mechanic, he did freelance work for $40 an hour, less than half of what Honda charges. And he did better work.

BUT, I do my own work as well :)

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

• 2 months later...

I pay someone to do it. For me it's a time issue. I look at it like this, any time spent on the Subie, is time that could be spent either on my Impala or my Bug. They both need a lot more TLC than the Subie.

Also the dealership is about 1/2 mile from work. I drop it in the AM, and pic it up in the PM.

Also, I have a 2 1/2 year old. so I'd rather pay someone so that I can spend more time with her.

For me it's not a "I'm afraid to get dirty" thing, it's a time management thing.

Just got my LGT about a month ago all ive done thus far was filters, oil, modified my shifter length, and installed an aux input for my MP3 player. I have a feeling that this car will be a bit more challenging to work on mechanically than my Jeep was. On the Jeep I did u-joints, brakes, radiator, fuel pump, wheel cylinders, water pump, distributor, plugs, AC conversion, misc wiring, leaf springs, shocks, replaced the fuel tank...the list goes on. I have a feeling that my LGT will be a bit more of a challenge. We shall see.

I use to work as a tech at a Honda dealership and Sears so I have plenty of tools and experience. Not to mention I've been playing with DSMs for over 17 years now so when it comes to these cars I have a very good idea of how things work.

A lot of times when I hear about people doing their own work it makes me cringe. It's not so hard to take a nut/bolt off a car and put it back on. It's not that hard to read a manual or DIY book and follow instructions either. But a lot of times these DIY books or manuals aren't very complete or inclusive and it's the small details usually that can cause big problems.

I've known way too many instances where people that have tried to put a motor together for the first time screw up a tiny little detail and throw thousands of dollars away as their motor takes a dump really quick.

But it's not limited to motors. How many people actually know how to torque their lugnuts properly, or install brakes so they don't fall off. You'll be surprised!

The funny thing is when I was a lot younger I thought working on cars was easy and everyone should be able to do it. I even taught countless DSMrs and other friends how to do things like timing belts and brake jobs, etc. Ultimately, it has been my experience after watching these people I've taught or hearing about their experiences or experiences of others on-line that have sought help from car forums that has led me to my current opinion.

It is easy for some but sometimes it is much cheaper and safer just to get the job done right the first time. And experience is a great teacher but repetition teaches perfection.

Or as my wife use to say practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice leads to perfection.

BTW, I'm a stay home dad now and only like to work on my own cars so I'm not saying any of this to try to get more work.

Archived