LegacyGT.com

Ever get that feeling someone is outta control?

BigT

So I've been noticing this for a couple of months now. I don't want to mention any names, but it seems like certain moderator(s) are a little harsh when it comes to executing their duties. I'm all for following and enforcing the rules, but some people are really just jerks about it. When they first post in a thread where someone is a little out of line they often immediately threaten and give ultimatums - flexing their power. I feel like often times people are banned for expressing opinions that the moderator doesn't agree with, and that threads ore often closed because someone doesn’t want to listen to any more discussion on the matter. And, if another thread is started because someone else has something to say they are sometimes banned.

I look at the Forum as a community, and I'd like to think I have some say in it. I look at any position of power in a community as an opportunity to serve, and that it is an honor to have such a privilege. However, I wonder if anyone else feels this way, or if there is some sort of monitoring system for the moderators?

Hopefully this thread won't be closed or deleted :(

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Forums are not democracies. Mods are not elected. This is a dictatorship and not all opinions of the members matter. 98% of what the mods actually do is crap work, for which they are not paid. Tax dollars do not go towards their sallaries.
ignore him, he'll go away.

Forums are not democracies. Mods are not elected. This is a dictatorship and not all opinions of the members matter. 98% of what the mods actually do is crap work, for which they are not paid. Tax dollars do not go towards their sallaries.

True, but not all elected officials are paid. Also, the forum is pretty much

US-centric which is a democracy. Ultimately I think the site is US-based so it does conform to US rules, but that is besides the point. I was just saying it would be nice if certain people weren't hard ons all the time.

US-centric which is a democracy. Ultimately I think the site is US-based so it does conform to US rules, but that is besides the point. I was just saying it would be nice if certain people weren't hard ons all the time.

Huh? Wha? :icon_conf:lol:

I keed I keeed

I think they do a good job.

there is a lot behind the scenes like older threads, nasty PM's etc.... many times the forum mods are responding to that PERSON not necessarily the post. The post might just be the icing on the cake.

plus the internet is full of as$hats and you must treat them accordingly. :icon_bigg

Say what? I don't care if the forum was based in the People's Republic of China or who the speaker of the house is at the time this post was made. This forum doesn't have to do sh!t. It sucks that you feel you were mistreated. This is not your job or a family member with a drinking problem. Walk away, take a break for a month, grow thicker skin, but crying about it won't get you anywhere.

Say what? I don't care if the forum was based in the People's Republic of China or who the speaker of the house is at the time this post was made. This forum doesn't have to do sh!t. It sucks that you feel you were mistreated. This is not your job or a family member with a drinking problem. Walk away, take a break for a month, grow thicker skin, but crying about it won't get you anywhere.

Maybe there is a miscommunication here. I'm not saying that I was mistreated. I'm saying that I've seen some people act like jerks when they deal with other people on the forum, and just because your a moderator on the site doesn't make you some sort of Internet God. We should hold these people accountable for their actions. If they are hostile with people right off the bat it just takes things to a level where they don't need to go. I've actually seen many people whose opinions I value put on time out. I'd like to think we're all adults here, but maybe not.

In response to your legal remarks: there are lots of laws about the internet.

Actually more laws have been passed about the internet in recent years than about most things. You should check it out.

I'm aware that this isn't a life or death situation or really anything that serious, but I feel like I have a right to express my opinion. I'm not ranting or crying. I just though something, and wrote it down. Not a big deal. I'm not trying to get anywhere. I'm just throwing it out there. If you don't like it throw it right back. (quote from a fantastic movie)

Thanks for the advice man, but I really don't think you know where I'm coming from with this.

I'm just throwing it out there. If you don't like it throw it right back. (quote from a fantastic movie) Thanks for the advice man, but I really don't think you know where I'm coming from with this.

You're probably right and I think our conversation is going the wrong way. My personal philosophy regarding internet forums and what I choose to take from them is always going to be different than most. No hard feelings...:icon_mrgr

You're probably right and I think our conversation is going the wrong way. My personal philosophy regarding internet forums and what I choose to take from them is always going to be different than most. No hard feelings...:icon_mrgr

I feel the same way. As the infamous Tron would say One Love! :lol:

There is a report button on every post, just as it can be used to report spam, abusive members, it can be used to report a moderator. The way the system works is a thread is opened in the mod forum and all mods and admins can view and discuss the appropriate action. As much as I'd like to think everyone on this site shares a common bond that is this site among other things, I know not everyone will get along. That includes members to members, members to moderators, and sometimes even moderators to moderators. As long as people aren't disrespectful, disagreement is fine. Deliberately choosing to bait other members, isn't. If you don't like someone, then don't follow them thread to thread and poke them.

And try to remember what you see in a threaded discussion is probably only 10% of the whole story.

I am the only one who bans, and I don't ban people for expressing opinions. People get banned mostly by:

1) excessive violations of the rules of the site.

2) spammers

3) alter egos are banned if created to circumvent their probation.

So I've been noticing this for a couple of months now. I don't want to mention any names, but it seems like certain moderator(s) are a little harsh when it comes to executing their duties. I'm all for following and enforcing the rules, but some people are really just jerks about it. When they first post in a thread where someone is a little out of line they often immediately threaten and give ultimatums - flexing their power. I feel like often times people are banned for expressing opinions that the moderator doesn't agree with, and that threads ore often closed because someone doesn’t want to listen to any more discussion on the matter. And, if another thread is started because someone else has something to say they are sometimes banned.

I look at the Forum as a community, and I'd like to think I have some say in it. I look at any position of power in a community as an opportunity to serve, and that it is an honor to have such a privilege. However, I wonder if anyone else feels this way, or if there is some sort of monitoring system for the moderators?

Hopefully this thread won't be closed or deleted :(

Maybe there is a miscommunication here. I'm not saying that I was mistreated. I'm saying that I've seen some people act like jerks when they deal with other people on the forum, and just because your a moderator on the site doesn't make you some sort of Internet God. We should hold these people accountable for their actions. If they are hostile with people right off the bat it just takes things to a level where they don't need to go. I've actually seen many people whose opinions I value put on time out. I'd like to think we're all adults here, but maybe not.

In response to your legal remarks: there are lots of laws about the internet.

Actually more laws have been passed about the internet in recent years than about most things. You should check it out.

I'm aware that this isn't a life or death situation or really anything that serious, but I feel like I have a right to express my opinion. I'm not ranting or crying. I just though something, and wrote it down. Not a big deal. I'm not trying to get anywhere. I'm just throwing it out there. If you don't like it throw it right back. (quote from a fantastic movie)

Thanks for the advice man, but I really don't think you know where I'm coming from with this.

Lose Lose situation me thinks brother :icon_bigg

BigT: In all fairness to the mods and your opinion... I think it would actually help if you listed names of people you feel get the smack down with no warning. Here, let me list some that get it yet it may appear they don't deserve it: geddyup (cause he's an ass to many people via PM and attacks members), unclemat (cause everyone is sick of the LegacySTi Wagon threads and comments), and vimy since he wants to make love to a spec.B every time someone mentions one. :D Some of these smack downs are playful, others are real. If you feel that some are actually inhibiting the site, I say hit the report button. However, I think that many of the smack downs, while they appear to happen too early, are truly because the member has a history of being a total assclown. Yeah, I said it, assclown. :lol: So, would you mention some people you feel get it too early or is that getting too private? :)
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

ibtl

I don't think that this should be locked. So far I think that this is a good discussion about the forum. But.... lets not tap dance around. If you have a beef with a moderator or another member... PM them and work it out like adults. If that doesn't work... as Tide stated... there is always the report button.

I have screwed up from time to time and have had other mod's set me straight. We are human and are trying to interpret the correct course of action.

On the flipside... you don't always see the entire story. Often times there are PM's and Emails that get exchanged... leading to time outs. Some members just don't like to compromise and fail to accept any responsibility.

So... let it out... and we'll try to see your point. ;)

Archived