LegacyGT.com

Perrin Y/Mid Exhaust

Abandonhope16

Can anyone with experience, provide some info on this setup. I guess I'm getting older, and I dont want anything really loud; but I'd still like to have some tone to the exhaust. It seems to be reasonably priced compared to other options, but is it still noticeable for what you pay/worth it?

Thanks in advance.

-A

STi UP + Cobb DP w/ HFC + stock mid/Y-pipe + Prodrive mufflers

That sounds exactly like the setup I want!

Do you also happen to know piping diameters are for the Perrin center section? Isn't it 3" and after the Y split it goes down to 2.5"? Or is it 2.25" after the Y? I know the Y portion bolts up to the stock axelbacks but does the 3" section that bolts up to the downpipe share the same donut gasket that the stock pipe does (therefore tapering down to 2.5")?

NM. I just read that you have the stock mid/Y instead of the Perrin one. Durrrrrrrrrr.

^ there was someone on the boards that installed Lachute mid/Y (similar to Perrin I think) and Prodrives and he commented that it was too loud. With my set-up, it is nice and quiet with just a bit of that boxer rumble...until you go WOT :D :D :D

Stock mid-y-pipe has a nice big resonator in it, as well, not just the pipe diameter difference. I forget, but perrin either has none, or a small resonator... that will make a difference.

I have a de-resonator-ed stock mid-y-pipe, and aftermarket mufflers, and it is VERY loud. Intrusively so. Nice sound. too much volume.

i have crucial complete dp setup (catless) w/ stock midpipe resonating section and stock y-pipe and perrin muffs. I have a perrin y-pipe i think im going to just weld in since the y-pipe is the most restrictive part i have left in my exhaust. Then get a perrin 3" catless dp for when I go big :p My brother thinks its too loud, my father likes it. My brother got a exhaust ticket for going WOT infront of a cop though. hes an idiot.
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

running up/cobb catted dp/perrin mid and y/stock cans

barely any change overstock. no one would ever notice. slightly deeper rumble at idle, but again no one but you may be able to notcie the change.

adds some shiny bling under the car. also from dataloging the perrin pipes allow about 8 more g/s through the maf, so its defintely making some more power. not enough for the butt dyno, but 5th gear is smoother on the highway and the turbo holds a little more boost to redline. not much.

best part is my car is still super quiet thanks to those crazy stock cans with the brick walls inside them :)

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

running up/cobb catted dp/perrin mid and y/stock cans

barely any change overstock. no one would ever notice. slightly deeper rumble at idle, but again no one but you may be able to notcie the change.

adds some shiny bling under the car. also from dataloging the perrin pipes allow about 8 more g/s through the maf, so its defintely making some more power. not enough for the butt dyno, but 5th gear is smoother on the highway and the turbo holds a little more boost to redline. not much.

best part is my car is still super quiet thanks to those crazy stock cans with the brick walls inside them :)

Same setup here except i have catless DP and an invidia upipe...with the stock cans you cant even tell the diffrence untill you step on then it growls.

Same setup here except i have catless DP and an invidia upipe...with the stock cans you cant even tell the diffrence untill you step on then it growls.

i still cant hear any change over the engine, turbo, and gear whine of the MT :)

it is also much easier to backfire under no load

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

^ there was someone on the boards that installed Lachute mid/Y (similar to Perrin I think) and Prodrives and he commented that it was too loud. With my set-up, it is nice and quiet with just a bit of that boxer rumble...until you go WOT :D :D :D

Yep, that's me. I kept the Lachute and reverted back to stock cans, blacked out, with Borla tips. I'm very happy with the results. Nice subtle growl, but never loud or obnoxious. SOMEDAY I want to dyno the car w/ and w/o the stock cans to see what the max gains are available from different mufflers.

rev it up with the door open...maybe it has to do with your cat also......mine f'in growls...almost sounds 350zish

i was actually at dinner with another member mmm def and shortly after I got home i get a call from him

"i heard you pull away out of the parking lot. sounds f@#$@$g mean!"

so i guess it did something :icon_mrgr

but seriously my gear whine is loud in 1st and 2nd, so i can't tell any difference from inside the car.

however i took my fam to dinner a couple days ago, so the radio wasn't on and on the highway there is def a very slight hum of the exhaust, but nothing they noticed. I know prior perrin mid/y all i had to listen to was the re92s and maybe some wind every now and then.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Thanks. So if you run this set up with a Cob Up & Down w/HFC how bad are we talking here for cat stink, since you'd only be running one HFC in the whole setup?

i never smell anything. no diffrent to me then when the car was stock unless its a colder or damp day when you just start it up. if you stand behind it there is a slight exhuast smell.

inside the car there is never a smell. never has anyone said anything either. cobb hfc is a good choice along with the perrin pipes and stock cans

seriously if i had to get a sniffer test for emissions i bet it would pass no prob

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

I have MR headers with catless up and perrin catless dp and stock mid and y with perrin axleback and I just had the resonator cutout on my mid and she sounds mean now just a tad bit louder then what my WRX was. But on my WRX I didnt have headers but had a 3 inch catless tbe. I like how my car sounds now pretty throaty and deep.

Archived