LegacyGT.com

SPEC vs RPS clutch

Silverstar

After a botched shift my legacy decided that my next mod will be transmission work. I figured as long as the tranny is out, might as well upgrade the clutch.

I plan on one day doing a 18G/meth so I'll need something to hold up to the power. I have narrowed down my choices to a SPEC 3+ or the maryland RPS setup.

My wife occansionally drives my car so pedal effort is important.

Can anybody that has driven with both setups post up a comparison?

Thanks!

I was under the impression after the last groupbuy that they were not dealing with RPS in the future.

This is correct. After getting screwed around by rps I am pretty sure rob is done with them. I could be wrong though.

The pedal effort is much harder than stock. I would like to have a clutch with the stock feel but the rps performance.

I can tell you, that it is a nice clutch, but the pedal effort is definitely higher on the RPS clutch.

+1

had the chance to work the clutch on BURNU2's GT and it was some little work out. but i'd guess you'd get used to it. the wife on the other hand....

I wouldn't put a Spec clutch oin my lawnmower, but that's just me :)

I have driven Phil's with the RPS and the pedal pressure is indeed sky high and the pedal travel is best measured with a micrometer.

I vote for stock.

I've driven Phil's too, and I'm lovin it :lol:

RPS give a lifetime warranty on the pressure plate, so all you need to do is replace the clutch disc when required, and skim the flywheel if needed.

Is it heavy ? Yes

Is it sensitive ? Yes

When I drove Rob's car, it feels like the clutch pedal just isn't connected to anything, maybe there is a happy medium between stock and the RPS setup, but it's not available yet.

I've driven Phil's too, and I'm lovin it :lol:

RPS give a lifetime warranty on the pressure plate, so all you need to do is replace the clutch disc when required, and skim the flywheel if needed.

Is it heavy ? Yes

Is it sensitive ? Yes

When I drove Rob's car, it feels like the clutch pedal just isn't connected to anything, maybe there is a happy medium between stock and the RPS setup, but it's not available yet.

And you dont think the clutch is related to THIS thread?

I have the spec stage 3+ for over a year now and i have no complaints issues or problems. its a great clutch.

I've driven a LGT/GT35r Car with a Spec Stage 2+ clutch...i thought it felt great (way less effort then the a ACT Setup)

~Sucka-Duck~

I've been on the RPS clutch for some time, and my wife drives the car every day. The pedal effort is higher, and the engagement takes getting used to (IMHO, much of that is the lighter flywheel), but the overall package is so much better than the stock setup it's worth it...

Even my wife likes it much better than the stock clutch...

this is my clutch after its second time down the track . This happend in 3rd gear around 5k rpms. I am going to call rps today about this super weak and stock like clutch disc.

http://img1.putfile.com/thumb/12/3471348229.jpg

http://img1.putfile.com/thumb/12/34713391481.jpg

http://img1.putfile.com/thumb/12/34713391240.jpg

WOW! IS my 1st response......but my second one is.....:icon_surp that the tranny is still holding together!!! I know it doesn't make it any better when you have clutch parts splattered about, but once it is replaced, you can then appreciate the strength of this 5mt....

RPS, looks to be on the hook for this one, as an install error should have shown up almost immediately. Hopefully RPS can work it out with you amicably.

Holy exploded clutch! Just be glad the belhousing is strong and you still have both feet.

I've decided to go with the RPS setup (found someone with one to sell on the forums). Hopefully mine will holdup better. I'll post some impressions once it's installed and I have first gear again...

Thanks to all for the info!

I called rps today and they were very cool about it and I will be sending the clutch in for warranty work. The pressure plate has a life time warranty and beings this happend so soon they too believe this was a build error. They also told me this is not thier disc, it is an xeddy disc . Instead of them making the disc I guess it was much cheaper to get the xeddy. They intern told me I should upgrade to a 6 puck beings it is much beefier .

The only real damage caused buy this was the flywheel and flywheel inspection cover which has a 4" gash through it .

I will keep you guys informed on how this goes... Wish me luck.

Trent

WOW...

Looks like the clutch disk itself failed? I wonder if Rob can find out if this particular disk is the one they've always been using, or if they supplied something different with your batch. I don't think anyone else has experienced this kind of catastrophic failure, so I would assume its a new part, or simply a defective part.

I hope your trans is OK after all that mayhem...

Archived