LegacyGT.com

Reflashing 2005+ 2.5i/3.0R

Given the dearth of aftermarket performance options for the normally-aspirated engines in the 2.5i and 3.0R Legacy/Outback models, I'm very surprised that nobody has yet investigated whether an OpenPort cable and OpenECU software can be used with these ECUs.

I know that the 2005 Impreza 2.5RS ECU can be read and reflashed with these tools. I have high confidence the same is true for 2005+ Legacy/Outback NA ECUs. We need a couple of people to step up and verify this.

These brave souls would already have a laptop running Windows XP with an available USB port. They would purchase an OpenPort cable from http://www.tactrix.com/product_info.php?products_id=31 for ~$85 including S&H. Once the cable arrives, they'd download a free copy of EcuFlash from http://openecu.org/index.php?title=EcuFlash and follow the instructions at http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.php/Knowledge/ReadingAndReflashingECUs.

In the unlikely event that the OpenPort cable can't read or reflash these cars, it can still be used to datalog important information using the free software at http://www.tari.co.za/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl. And it can also be used as an OBD-II scan tool with the free software from http://www.aktivematrix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=957.

So the only downside is that you might only get a data logger and scan tool for the $85 cost of the OpenPort cable. The upside is the ability to change target A/F ratios and spark advance and to turn off pesky trouble codes like P0420 when your cat disappears.

Any volunteers?

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=846826&postcount=15

been there done that. the problem is that the ECU exploder won't recognize the ecu. it just shows as blank. you can do the ignition advance/retard, you can reset the ecu, and you can adjust the idle vales with the ecu explorer.

You attempted to use an AccessPort cable to read the ROM, which is incompatible with the EcuFlash software that reads and rewrites the ROM. So you haven't "been there done that." The AccessPort cable is suitable for logging, but an OpenPort cable is necessary for reading and reflashing the ROM.

yea but by reflashing our ecu...what gains do/would we attain?

reflashing is not just for turbo cars. any egine mods on any cars can be tuned since it changes the way the engine runs even if it just alittle. this will help get the most out of your intake and exhaust, or anyother engine work you may do in the future. Getting the AFR, ignition, etc.... tuned on any car with mods turbo or not will give more gains than the same mods on a car with no tuning.

Apparently Cobb has developed an AccessPort for the NA, however none of us really want to spend that $$ when we could do it ourselves for less and have more room to play. RalliTEK also has their PP6 for the NA that works quite well

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

RalliTEK also has their PP6 for the NA that works quite well
Does the PP6 cost less than $85? Unless that PP6 has some special feature(s) like launch control, flat shift, water-injection control, etc., it is inferior to simply updating the OEM ECU calibrations.

Apparently Cobb has developed an AccessPort for the NA, however none of us really want to spend that $$ when we could do it ourselves for less and have more room to play. RalliTEK also has their PP6 for the NA that works quite well

Agree, who would spend $1k on a system like that.

Anyone working on the OpenPort and have success already? Me want!

I am new to this field. so... by using the laptop, is it capable of restoring original maps? and unlimited reflashes?

You know... a GT member point this out to the NA crowd.. how reliable and Do-able is this source?

(I mean thanks for your info, but if something goes wrong and i dont know who to ask, it means trouble... i am in toronto, not in the states, where i can just ask for help, nobody cares here in toronto)

I definitely think there are gains to be had on the NA platform by tweaking AVLS maps. I wish my GT had AVLS....

as to the safety and reliability of the flashing software/hardware, I have flashed my car many times and haven't encountered any problems at all.

its Jon [in CT];

he transcends trim levels!

not to mention our ECUs are quite similiar; slightly different wiring harness, but the internals are most likely the same.

I am new to this field. so... by using the laptop, is it capable of restoring original maps? and unlimited reflashes?

You know... a GT member point this out to the NA crowd.. how reliable and Do-able is this source?

(I mean thanks for your info, but if something goes wrong and i dont know who to ask, it means trouble... i am in toronto, not in the states, where i can just ask for help, nobody cares here in toronto)

Guest subiecity
im really curious to kno a rough idea of "gains" by reflashing ECU or doin sum plug and play stuff anyone kno off hand i understand chainging settings like ignition and wat have u im just not a computer person my favorite is bolt on :)

Notice that the category for that product is "LegacyGT." I'm certain that AcessPort 2.0 will NOT work with all 2.5L models.

But, feel free to spend $595 for the AP 2.0 and $195 for the StreetTuner and let us know how well they work on your Legacy 2.5i.

If i have an automatic, is it possible to over-ride both sportshift mapping and normal "automatic" mapping?

That will be great news!

The shifting strategy for automatic transmissions is controlled by another box called the Transmission Control Module. At the moment there is no device available for any amount of money that lets you customize the TCM's calibrations.

Archived