LegacyGT.com

Reflashing 2005+ 2.5i/3.0R

I definitely think there are gains to be had on the NA platform by tweaking AVLS maps. I wish my GT had AVLS....
Subaru's variable valve lift system is a two-stage system. At idle and low loads, one of the two intake valves opens only part way in order to impart swirl to the intake charge for better combustion. At medium and high loads, both intake valves open all the way. I doubt there's anything to be gained by messing around with the crossover point.

im really curious to kno a rough idea of "gains" by reflashing ECU or doin sum plug and play stuff anyone kno off hand i understand chainging settings like ignition and wat have u im just not a computer person my favorite is bolt on :)

im sure the gains will be reasonable like 5-15hp depending on the mods, but the real issue is the mods themselves. yes it helps to tune your intake and exhaust afer installing but the real gains will be seen when a reflash is done after new cams are installed. Mods like cams are when a reflash really becomes usefull. it will alow you to adjust the igntion tming and fuel to match the new cams and get more power and more revs out of the engine, no to mention throttle remaps for better response. with the right mods to complement a reflash, you caouls get your engine to have a 7-8k rev limit while making good power up there. The problem is that there are very few people nowadays buying a NA subaru for performance, so the market for a NA accessport or somthing similar will be very small.

and here I was thinking you could actually change the lift.

no valvetronic/variocam plus for subarus then.

;883859']Subaru's variable valve lift system is a two-stage system. At idle and low loads' date=' one of the two intake valves opens only part way in order to impart swirl to the intake charge for better combustion. At medium and high loads, both intake valves open all the way. I doubt there's anything to be gained by messing around with the crossover point.[/quote']

Guest subiecity
i wish i could find sum cams to fit my subaru im sure i can get em custom made but forget it all the time that would take and not beeing able to run my car until the cams are back it, as of right now outta all the mods cams would be the best for the NA section but idk i can keep dreaming right?

;883854']The shifting strategy for automatic transmissions is controlled by another box called the Transmission Control Module. At the moment there is no device available for any amount of money that lets you customize the TCM's calibrations.

Thanks for your info!

learn something new!

I am just wondering, lets put the mods aside, would a stocker be benifit by reflashes?

Guest subiecity
Thanks for your info!

learn something new!

I am just wondering, lets put the mods aside, would a stocker be benifit by reflashes?

hmm good one there....

iight whitetiger lets c if u can help me on this one like i said b4 im running knn filter, stock airbox but with aluminum piping the typical upgrade without throing a CEL, lightweight pulley, perrin muffs on this weekend...

by reflashing computer in my situation how would it help i mean i never threw a CEL so wouldnt/shouldnt my car be getting its optimum performance right now? or do i have to reflash and if so how would a reflash benifit me or help me out with my intake and lightweight pulley if at all? im just trya learn how this computer stuff werks......

and one more question a typical dyno place/garage wouldnt they be able to do a reflash ? what can they do besides dyno i kno they can "tune" but cant they tune our NA ecu's as well??? and again by saying the word "tune" what would they do u think to my ecu in my situation to provide gains? thanks again

hmm good one there....

iight whitetiger lets c if u can help me on this one like i said b4 im running knn filter, stock airbox but with aluminum piping the typical upgrade without throing a CEL, lightweight pulley, perrin muffs on this weekend...

by reflashing computer in my situation how would it help i mean i never threw a CEL so wouldnt/shouldnt my car be getting its optimum performance right now? or do i have to reflash and if so how would a reflash benifit me or help me out with my intake and lightweight pulley if at all? im just trya learn how this computer stuff werks......

and one more question a typical dyno place/garage wouldnt they be able to do a reflash ? what can they do besides dyno i kno they can "tune" but cant they tune our NA ecu's as well??? and again by saying the word "tune" what would they do u think to my ecu in my situation to provide gains? thanks again

Just like on the turbo models, the cars ECU is preprogrammed to run with the stock setup. one you start changing thinks like max intake flow and removing restrictions in the exhaust, the car will run richer or leaner depending on how the ecu reacts. The point of flashing the ecu is to get it so its running the right fuel and ignition maps(among other things) to get the most efficiant combustion and therefore the most power. the computer can adjust alittle to your mods on its own, but you will see the most gains if your ecu programming is made for your mods. this is true no matter what car you drive. The ability to have the corresponding ecu maps for the mods you own, will give you more HP per mod. Since you are NA, you wont see as much of an increase as you would will a turbo car, but you will see gains, and depending on what mods you do, the may be signficant.

Another benefit from the reflashing is you can eliminate certian cels that would occur with certian mods for example: If you decide to get full headers and a catless exhaust, Your car nder stock ecu programming will throw a Catalytic converter efficiancy CEL since you have no cats. a reprogamming would tell the ecu to disreguard that particular code and then it wont throw a cel. Reprogramming can also change or remove top speed and rev limiters.

When you get your car tuned, the tunners are just reprogramming your car as well after they monitor it on the dyno. So haveing a ECU reprogrammer would help you get tuned easier, and if they came out with "cookie cutter" maps for certian mods, there would be no need to get tuned on a dyno at all unless you wanted just to squeeze out the last couple of HP that the "cookie cutter" map wouldnt give you.

Guest subiecity

ahh thanks for the info, now the typicall dyno garage should be able to reporgram and reflash well i should just call then im dying to dyno, now what would be better now reprogramming or reflashing? shouldnt they work the same way? and do u have to reflash ever so often? and if so why?

thanks 4 the info, much apreciated

That would be the best bet. but if you only have an intake and mufflesrs for performace mods, its gonna be a waste of money. you are gonna be spending hundreds of dollars for 10-15 hp max. Id do more mods like a full exhaust and headers and lots of porting and polishing and maybe even cams before you get tuned.

Archived