LegacyGT.com

Growling/Clunking noise in rear while accelerating hard in 1st or 2nd ??

I just replaced it with a new one on the 24th, last Monday.

Now did you do the work yourself, Did you replace it with one from a wreking yard and did you compare shafts? I'm surprised Subaru redisigned the shaft.

I don't know when this redesign took place, but the new one I got based on my VIN number is definately different...

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its the rear diff clutches making noise doin their limited slip thing since it happens in high tourqe scenarios when one of our rear wheels would normally spin if we had an open rear diff.

Ive, gotten the rear diff to make a noise before. It was definately more a clicking noise then growling/clunking when I had a flat tire and the diff had to compensate. I thought I blew a half-shaft or wheel bearings, then I noticed the rim was almost hitting the road. Put the spare on and the clicking went away! Got a new tire and it's never made that noise again.

I would be carefull, Inspect your driveshaft first before you start ordering. There are other things back there that can make the same noises, and without a video of someones car making the noise its very hard to pinpoint the issue. I took my drive-line apart and inspected everything. I found 1 issue, repaced the part and I have no more issue.. I can see it coming back because we have a very week driveshaft, but seeing there was some changes in the design I have my fingers crossed!

You got it done under warranty then! Its expensive otherwise. It cost me $600 just for the part. I don't know if they are different between the 5EAT and 5MT for sure. They claim they have different part numbers so I needed to give them my VIN to figure out wich one was for my car.

Yeah but sad to say. I got on it this morning and I heard it again!!! I'm really not liking this! It's not as intense as it once was when my drive shaft had issues but its still there.

Next up, replacing the rear half shafts!!!

I will post what that does if anything...I'm pissed and now possibly looking at getting a different car...

Edited by Thourbow

• 4 weeks later...
I've been humbled. Now the noise is lowder and when I downshift abruptly, I get new noise and both the of the noises are coming from the rear driverside axle. I'M still looking for a cheaper option to replacing the rear half-shaft. I haven't found any and the steallership wants $320!

• 2 weeks later...

About a week ago I replaced the stock rubber drive shaft center support bushings on my '05 LGT with solid billet aluminum ones from Torque Solution, purchased from FredBeanParts.com.

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/t/s/tscarrierbearing_1_1_1.jpghttp://www.fredbeansparts.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/t/s/tscarrierbearing2_1_1.jpg

While I'm recently just out of the 1000 mile break-in on my new build engine (ringlang failure of OE pistons) and still have not fully thrashed on the new engine, these did seem to add to the solution of eliminating the infamous "growl".

These are not a single solution to the problem. As anyone who has followed or read through the entire thread knows the fix is to eliminate as much of the built in "softness" of all of the drive train and rear suspension bushings. Remember, the Legacy was designed to be a "near luxury" sedan so the engineering, especially for the NOAM market, focused on limiting NVH as much as possible, thus the cushy bushings.

Other mods I've made to remove slop, and in the process eliminate the "growl", include:

RalliTEK poly AT mount insert

Beatrush rear differential front member

Whiteline rear differential bushing stiffening inserts

Spec-B rear lower arms (stiffer bushes than GT)

• 3 weeks later...
Okay - I've lost track in this long-winded thread. Has anyone posted up one sound clip of their noise under the varying road, acceleration, deceleration, turning conditions? I'm off for the next couple of days, so will see if I can get an assist and record some of the sounds from my wagoon.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

How does it feel when DD? Any increased noise?

Leo

About a week ago I replaced the stock rubber drive shaft center support bushings on my '05 LGT with solid billet aluminum ones from Torque Solution, purchased from FredBeanParts.com.

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/t/s/tscarrierbearing_1_1_1.jpghttp://www.fredbeansparts.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/t/s/tscarrierbearing2_1_1.jpg

While I'm recently just out of the 1000 mile break-in on my new build engine (ringlang failure of OE pistons) and still have not fully thrashed on the new engine, these did seem to add to the solution of eliminating the infamous "growl".

These are not a single solution to the problem. As anyone who has followed or read through the entire thread knows the fix is to eliminate as much of the built in "softness" of all of the drive train and rear suspension bushings. Remember, the Legacy was designed to be a "near luxury" sedan so the engineering, especially for the NOAM market, focused on limiting NVH as much as possible, thus the cushy bushings.

Other mods I've made to remove slop, and in the process eliminate the "growl", include:

RalliTEK poly AT mount insert

Beatrush rear differential front member

Whiteline rear differential bushing stiffening inserts

Spec-B rear lower arms (stiffer bushes than GT)

mine does it HORRIBLY in first and second gear

Same. :(

It's pretty embarrassing when the situation comes up at the track with a passenger. "Wanna taste some pooowa?", "YEAH!", "1st - GROOOOOWLLL, 2nd - GROOOOWLLLL".

I don't know, just my opinion. It really is upsetting that there's no definite cure for this.

How does it feel when DD? Any increased noise?

Leo

On my car, which is used as a DD off and on, concerns about NVH went out the window with all the modifications I've made since I bought it new in early '05.

Even with the addition of a pair of powered sub-woofers in the trunk a few months ago I still find myself more often than not leaving the stereo off and just enjoying the symphony of sounds emanating from the engine and the heavily modified intake and exhaust systems. I have two pair of new 6 1/2" mids waiting to go in the doors but even after that I'll probably still prefer the tune played by the car over that by the stereo system much of the time.

That said, I have not noticed any additional NVH from these billet bushes but remember that's probably because if any actually is occurring it's likely masked by the multitude of other aural inputs that result when squeezing the go pedal on my GT.

Even if your mods are nothing more than a bit louder/aggressive exhaust than stock, I really don't think these will cause any noticeable increase in NVH.

• 4 weeks later...
Same. :(

It's pretty embarrassing when the situation comes up at the track with a passenger. "Wanna taste some pooowa?", "YEAH!", "1st - GROOOOOWLLL, 2nd - GROOOOWLLLL".

I don't know, just my opinion. It really is upsetting that there's no definite cure for this.

LMAO. dude when its 0 degrees out here and im romping the piss out of it (yes its been driven for 30 minutes prior to this) my friends panic like WTF was that?!!?!. it sounds like a bunch of rocks are being tumbled in the rear end.

• 3 months later...
Well - changing out my exhaust hangers for some PU ones diminished the clunking significantly. Something must have been going on under there.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I wonder if the engine rotation/motion under hard accel causes angle shifts in 1. the driveline and 2. the exhaust, over time both of these can slowly work it's way more harsh as bushings get flexed and bored out. I don't have this issue but.... just a thought.

I think its the rear diff clutches making noise doin their limited slip thing since it happens in high tourqe scenarios when one of our rear wheels would normally spin if we had an open rear diff.

I agree I had an 05 LGT 5MT that did this all the time... Well only when I was hard on it... I always thought it was the traction control.

• 2 months later...
I started hearing that growling noise when decelerating (lifting my foot off the gas) after I got the STI tranny mount installed. I think Paul (GTTuner) had the same issue - noise when decelerating after STI tranny mount was put on put on his car. I have WL rear diff inserts ready to go on the car, we'll see if the noise is reduced after that. May give exhaust poly hangers a try but my feeling is this is more due to stiffened MT mounts and rear suspension still being on stock bushings.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K