LegacyGT.com

2007 IIHS Safety Awards - Legacy Honored again.

Meltdown07

Also, IIHS news release at:

http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr112106.html

Three of the 13 winning vehicles for 2007 are from Honda, including an Acura SUV. Three winners are Subarus.

Some manufacturers improved their vehicles specifically to earn TOP SAFETY PICK awards. Audi redesigned the seat/head restraints in the A4 and A6 to improve performance in the Institute’s rear test. Subaru accelerated plans to offer ESC on some versions of the Forester and Legacy. “But ESC isn’t on every version of these two Subarus. Initially it’s only on the sporty or pricier models. It’s disappointing that Subaru didn’t add ESC across the board,” (IIHS President Adrian) Lund says. The company plans to expand ESC availability later.

Recent Institute research found that ESC reduces the risk of serious crashes involving both SUVs and cars. The largest effect is in single-vehicle crashes, which were reduced 40 percent with the addition of ESC. Fatal single-vehicle crashes went down 56 percent, and fatal rollovers of cars and SUVs were reduced by about 80 percent.

They are going to have to make ESC standard if they want to continue being the golden boy of the IIHS ;) I think IIHS, with this new list, just served notice to car manufacturers that within the next 3 years they are going to make it into a requirement to win the top safety pick instead of just an option.

the local news was running this story last night with the tagline "13 safest cars - none made in America". :mad: That kind of ignorance and outright hatemongering pisses me off. What's an "American made car" anymore? The GM that's built in Mexico? Or, the Chrysler that's built in Detroit? Neither, technically speaking.

I saw a news item on these ratings on CNN. They show a clip of an SUV making an emergency turn with and without ESC. Of course the ESC run is successful and the non-ESC results in a spin. What was glaring to me in the non-ESC example was that no effort at all was put into countersteering. If you have seen the clip, you'll notice that the front wheels remain straight as soon as the back end breaks loose which, of course, results in a spin. ESC is a good system no doubt about it but they shouldn't have purposely fudged the non-ESC example.

the local news was running this story last night with the tagline "13 safest cars - none made in America". :mad: That kind of ignorance and outright hatemongering pisses me off. What's an "American made car" anymore? The GM that's built in Mexico? Or, the Chrysler that's built in Detroit? Neither, technically speaking.

Yeah, that's stupid. But doesn't it seem that SOA does not want to advertise that Legacy/Outback is made in the US? Many import buyers (even this board members) believe imports are actually imported so they are "better".

In other words advertising that the cars are made here would put off an import buyer and would not attract the usual dimwitted patriotic buyer anyway. Such a buyer buys the domestic branded junk made abroad, thinking he/she supports American worker. :rolleyes:

And by the way, this "buy American" BS is truly stupid, especially with regard to cars. Without these patriotic buyers, big 3 would have to move their asses quicker and offer something competitive quality and feature wise.

I saw a news item on these ratings on CNN. They show a clip of an SUV making an emergency turn with and without ESC. Of course the ESC run is successful and the non-ESC results in a spin. What was glaring to me in the non-ESC example was that no effort at all was put into countersteering. If you have seen the clip, you'll notice that the front wheels remain straight as soon as the back end breaks loose which, of course, results in a spin. ESC is a good system no doubt about it but they shouldn't have purposely fudged the non-ESC example.

Do you believe in truth in advertising? :lol: :lol:

The mandate for ESC to win is crap. Well designed cars don't actually need ESC to avoid crashes. It's great in high-center-of-gravity SUVs, since it can help avoid a rollover, but are you going to tell me a Lotus needs to have ESC to avoid an accident??? Please. A Lotus might need some other safety features to meet the rest of the requirements, but handling is not one of them.

If they keep up with this crap, midsize sedans are going to weigh 6000 lbs by 2025. It's already crazy how heavy small cars have become.

Make cars safer for idiots to drive, and make them more dangerous to other drivers by adding 1000 lbs of safety equipment. How about some more rigorous driver education instead?

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

I like the ESC. It's just a safety feature, you can turn it off if you want. I think it's great to have the option. You can't compare the Legacy, as a car, and Legacy drivers to that of an Elise. The Elise doesn't need that stuff at all. I agree, we need better driver education, but it's a good technology that's getting better and I have the option to turn it off if I don't want it on.

Archived