LegacyGT.com

2007 IIHS Safety Awards - Legacy Honored again.

Meltdown07

The mandate for ESC to win is crap. Well designed cars don't actually need ESC to avoid crashes. It's great in high-center-of-gravity SUVs, since it can help avoid a rollover, but are you going to tell me a Lotus needs to have ESC to avoid an accident??? Please. A Lotus might need some other safety features to meet the rest of the requirements, but handling is not one of them.

If they keep up with this crap, midsize sedans are going to weight 6000 lbs by 2025. It's already crazy how heavy small cars have become.

Make cars safer for idiots to drive, and make them more dangerous to other drivers by adding 1000 lbs of safety equipment. How about some more rigorous driver education instead?

If they keep up with this crap a nine year old will be able to drive a car down to the local Toys R Us in a snow storm lol :D

Our drivers ed sucks, thats why when my daughter is ready to drive in 15 years ;) i'll be doing the teaching in a stick shift car if they still exist :(

I like the ESC. It's just a safety feature, you can turn it off if you want. I think it's great to have the option. You can't compare the Legacy, as a car, and Legacy drivers to that of an Elise. The Elise doesn't need that stuff at all. I agree, we need better driver education, but it's a good technology that's getting better and I have the option to turn it off if I don't want it on.

In some vehicles you can't turn it off. In some vehicles, you can turn it off, and it only partly turns off. What really scares me about this movement is, someone will get it into their heads that ESC is right for everyone, all the time, and we will lose even the ability to turn it off.

Of course, by then I hope Cobb will have something nice for us to futz with the ESC programming, too...

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

The mandate for ESC to win is crap. Well designed cars don't actually need ESC to avoid crashes. It's great in high-center-of-gravity SUVs, since it can help avoid a rollover, but are you going to tell me a Lotus needs to have ESC to avoid an accident??? Please. A Lotus might need some other safety features to meet the rest of the requirements, but handling is not one of them.

If they keep up with this crap, midsize sedans are going to weigh 6000 lbs by 2025. It's already crazy how heavy small cars have become.

Make cars safer for idiots to drive, and make them more dangerous to other drivers by adding 1000 lbs of safety equipment. How about some more rigorous driver education instead?

Perhaps it will spur Subaru into making ESC standard on all Leggies by '08.

For god sakes why? The Legacy sedan/wagon always get high marks for drivablity because it DOESN'T have a computer that wants to drive for you.

I have to agree with DukeTrout on this one, the ESC and particularly the IIHS have gotten way out of control and im tired of it. If they wanted to do some real good they would mandate more rigorous drivers ed. and not try to fix the problem by putting more computers in cars that do the driving for you. They would also say we need to get rid of SUV's for people who don't need that high ground clearance ... DUH!

On a side note does anyone else notice perhaps some side movtives to cars that make and don't make the list??

Ever notice there are no dedicated sports cars on this list? No ESC is not a good enough reason to take the impreza off that list.

I love my car ... basically.

Archived