LegacyGT.com

convince me to get an '07 LGT

badbasser98

Currently I own a 2002 Legacy GT. I have been trying to mod it now for the past two years I've owned it. I have made slow steady progress. However it took me 6 months to get a good usable hood with hood scoop. It seems that everything I have done thus far has been a pain. Not to mention that the longer I own it, it seems I bought someone else's problem (although this is most likely the part of me that want an new GT :icon_wink ). I am now sick of buying used. I have the chance now to buy a new LGT, it will just limit my freedom slightly over the next few years (I will still have money, it just means I won't be able to afford to live by myself).

The part that is holding me back is that I have put so much time and effort to get the things I do have for the BE that it makes it hard to give all that up. On the other hand, I will have a new car that has many features that I would like to have on the BE but aren't feasable. For one, the turbo engine.

So I guess I need some assurance that I would be making the right decision in buying a new LGT.

I have a few questions to any current owners. I've noticed that the OE stereo is basically non replaceable as far as going to an aftermarket one. How is the sound quality over all? I have a $1300 system in my BE now, so take that into consideration. And no, there isn't 4 15" subs and 6 amps. I am a musician and like to have a good quality, well ballanced audio system... Also those that have an auto tranny, what is your overall opinion of performance? I have to do a lot of traveling for my job and some of it is in heavy traffic in which I think a 5MT is a pain in the ass. So I will be buying an auto, flame if you must.

I appreciate any suggestions you can throw my way!

-BB98

Since you have a $1300.00 sound system in your car now, I'd say you WILL be disappointed with the OE system in a new LGT.

I however find it very suitable and have had passengers comment on "how nice it sounds"

I have an Auto trans and have really enjoy it. I would however prefer a MT, but had to take the wifeys lack of skills into consideration.

I say go for it.

- The Mortgage Man

Hey man, you should get an 07 LGT

Well I was hoping for atleast a reason why, but thanks :icon_bigg

A note on the stereo... Does it seem to have a nice full range (ballanced high and low range)? Maybe with the OE sub? And do they have multidisk cd players?

I think I want to get a DGM car.. that color is amazing.

Thanks for the insight so far, it pretty much confirming my thoughts.

-BB98

Get a used one, save tons of money, will still be in good shape with warranty and you won't be dead broke.

Do not buy the worst depreciating asset if you can't really afford it.

Buy used, stay happy.

X

---

Get a used one, save tons of money, will still be in good shape with warranty and you won't be dead broke.

Do not buy the worst depreciating asset if you can't really afford it.

Buy used, stay happy.

X

I really want the SI-Drive feature... Not sure how big of a difference it makes, but any at all is worth it to me (fuel mileage concerns). Plus I want a DGM car, which I believe is only on the 07 models. I appreciate your opinion, but if I am going to sell/trade my BE I am getting a new car.

Thanks,

-BB98

I have the chance now to buy a new LGT, it will just limit my freedom slightly over the next few years (I will still have money, it just means I won't be able to afford to live by myself).

I'm a big time car guy, but I wouldn't buy a car if it meant I had to drasticly change my lifestyle. I don't know if you mean that you would have to move in with someone else, or take on a roommate. Either way, be careful. The last thing you want to do is commit to five years of payments, and then have someone flake on you. You could end up having to sell your new car at a loss if things went wrong. On the other hand, if your plans include people your REALLY trust and can count on, do what makes you happy.

An occupational hypno-therapist, huh?

3, deeper and deeper, 2, deeper and deeper, one... [keel-over]

Office Space, FTW...

And yes, you should get an 07 LGT. OR an 06, or an 05... Turbo is good, Turbo is GOOD!

Nah, just a computer shrink :lol:

Go find an 05 LGT w/low miles, screw the SI drive "gimmick". Take the $10-$15,000 you save and mod it the way you want, possibly pay it off alot sooner and screw living w/roomy/parents/GF/etc.
Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

Dude, wait for the '08's. June/July of next year and THEN I'll suggest to you to get a '08 Legacy. :)

What's the difference?

Buying the car isn't going to change my lifestyle, I just won't have as free of an option of going alone should I need to. I could if I had to, but it might be tight for a while. I would be taking a four year loan... That's long enough, plus going to 5 years doesn't reduce the payment that much (more interest).

I'd really like to know what's going on with the '08s now though :p

What's the difference?

Buying the car isn't going to change my lifestyle, I just won't have as free of an option of going alone should I need to. I could if I had to, but it might be tight for a while. I would be taking a four year loan... That's long enough, plus going to 5 years doesn't reduce the payment that much (more interest).

I'd really like to know what's going on with the '08s now though :p

Basically the '08's will be everything that the '07's should've been.

I feel sorry for '07 buyers since it's a lackluster year. If you can, just stash your cash for a bigger downpayment or mod money and keep the mait. up on your 2002.

Go check out the Rumors section on this site for '08 news. :)

You're going to let an internet forum "convince" you to spend $30K on a depreciable asset? Get a grip guy. You need to sit down to do the finances and decide for yourself what is important in your life. Think for yourself.

I'm not preaching my life style, but my wife and I drove econo-boxes and used cars until we turned 43. We make LOTS of money, but we decided financial security, e.g. a house and retirement came first.

This year at age 43 we hit a huge milestone in our financial planning. Sold off the old cars, bought myself the '06 Legacy GT and she got an '07 Forester XT.

These are great cars, but make sure you are doing something that makes sense. Trust me on this, the new car feeling wears off after 6 months. Decide in haste, regret in leisure. Is your '02 really that bad?

Be well.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

You are better off convincing yourself.

I am also on my third Subie. Like all cars and many things in life, there are "good and bad" things. It is how you enjoy the good and how you deal with the bad.

Trust yourself. Good Luck!!!http://legacygt.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif

"Remember..."MODDING is a HOBBY:icon_bigg, not a BAAAD HABIT";) .

A note on the stereo... Does it seem to have a nice full range (ballanced high and low range)? Maybe with the OE sub? And do they have multidisk cd players?

-BB98

Yes it comes with a 6 CD changer and Aux-in. You can pickup the OE Sub for $170 - and when you buy the car you can negotiate to get the dealer to install it for minimal cost.

I am assuming you are going to test drive the car? When you do be sure to hold in for 5+ seconds (until you hear the beep) the button that has the SRS label above it (2nd from left). SRS sound processing makes a huge difference. When I bought my car the salesmen were clueless as to turning SRS on/off.

I have the OEM subwoofer and can tell you that the sound difference with SRS in the 07 is huge versus the 05-06. When I was looking at the 06 models last year it was a given that I would have had to mod out the sound system. With that said - the $200 subwoofer does not equal $1300 worth of mods.

Dude, wait for the '08's. June/July of next year and THEN I'll suggest to you to get a '08 Legacy. :)

Hey SWP - Why not tell him to wait until 2010/11 when the real new models come out.:D

Yes it comes with a 6 CD changer and Aux-in. You can pickup the OE Sub for $170 - and when you buy the car you can negotiate to get the dealer to install it for minimal cost.

I am assuming you are going to test drive the car? When you do be sure to hold in for 5+ seconds (until you hear the beep) the button that has the SRS label above it (2nd from left). SRS sound processing makes a huge difference. When I bought my car the salesmen were clueless as to turning SRS on/off.

I have the OEM subwoofer and can tell you that the sound difference with SRS in the 07 is huge versus the 05-06. When I was looking at the 06 models last year it was a given that I would have had to mod out the sound system. With that said - the $200 subwoofer does not equal $1300 worth of mods.

Hey SWP - Why not tell him to wait until 2010/11 when the real new models come out.:D

Hey now!! Product refreshes are new models!!*

*may or may not be true. ;)

Archived