LegacyGT.com

AEM CAI vs Stk Airbox w/AVO Panel Filter.....

edmundu

edmundu .... Between your analysis and Jon's dyno plots from my car, it is easy to see that an upgraded turbo really opens up with a new intake.

Oh yeah, you bet your a@@ it did! I dropped close to 1 whole second in 40-120mph testing! That takes a rather large power increase to accomplish. This is about the equivalent of dropping .6-.7 at the dragstrip...

I know that I'm quite happy with the intake noise levels. Not stock quiet, but not too loud either...

I've got the MR catback, so I really didn't notice any intake noise increase over my Avo panel w/stock box! Although I think with any TBE, the exhaust note will overcome almost any intake...

Besides... At some point there is no way to not make noise while sucking in 350 g/s.

100% True! I tried to avoid it out of fear of having an awfully loud intake, but this AEM truly is a gem. Remarkably quiet for the power gains!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...
In your tune, did you adjust the MAF scale by a constant 14.5% to account for the larger pipe diameter? Or is it trickier than that?

Thanks for the really good info.

I was always under the impression that the AEM's diameter was the same as the tube that the stock MAF sensor fits in. So what's the truth once and for all here???

It's pretty clear that edmundu adjusted the MAF and I have heard the AEM will lean out your A/F unless you get a tune.

I was told that it was "almost" the same size. A 7% increase in diameter would mean a 14% increase in area. Most people wouldn't notice a 7% increase in diameter.

I was always under the impression that the AEM's diameter was the same as the tube that the stock MAF sensor fits in. So what's the truth once and for all here???

It is, from my crude measurements! But, it doesn't mean that the airflow going thru it will remain the same. Strictly speaking while the pipe diam. is the same, the restricition that the panel filter represents is much higher than the conical filter the AEM comes with.

The amount/depth of pleats, along with the filter size determines the amount of air it can flow. When you see the filter's side by side, it is clearly evident that the AEM's is much better! This is why the CAI can flow 10% or more air over the stock box.

Number's don't lie, so always trust the #'s.....

the pipe diameter isn't the only factor that changes the MAF scaling. the placement of the thin film sensor will also change the scaling. the flow in the pipe should still be laminar (at 600 cfm the air is moving at ~ mach 0.2) so the flow distribution will be roughly parabolic. if the sensor sits more off center than the stock position, the recorded maf voltage can actually drop quite a bit.

• 9 months later...
I know, old thread, but...seems like stock, sucking air from the front (almost like a ram air induction) is as good or better than sucking air from the well. Thoughts? I realize filter, diameter, etc, may allow for some more flow though.

Don't think a turbo benefits too much from a ram air type effect. The turbo will suck in what it sucks in.

So ultimately, "colder" air (from wheel well) is better then "warmer" from the front.

At least, that's what it would seem like to me. Nothing to back this up of course and I could be totally wrong :lol:

• 3 years later...

Archived