LegacyGT.com

AEM CAI vs Stk Airbox w/AVO Panel Filter.....

edmundu

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No drilling/cutting the fender well is required...? correct?

No, not at all! Simply remove the stock airbox/resonator, along with a bracket. Then install the AEM. Under an hour start to finish.

I think your setup can benefit from one as well:icon_wink

So I've looked at AEM's site and they only have a CAI for the 05' LGT's. Would that same CAI work on an 07' or have there been changes to the engine bay? Thanks for the help!

I'm sure they haven't changed anything....Just be sure to get tuned for it, unless your ECU is stock. This increases airflow, and changes the metering of the MAF, so with an OTS or a map intended for the stock airbox you would be running lean.

Where can I get one cheap and quick. Like by next thursday...

JSCspeed or MDTurbo. Check with them, both are local, so shipping would be only like 1 day or so...Last I checked Rob@MDTurbo had a Red one left, and great pricing!

Where can I get one cheap and quick. Like by next thursday...

Don't know about the quick but I got a real good deal from the tirerack.

I would have preferred to use a forum supporter, but the price was better at the tire rack (Sure Rob would have matched) and I ordered other stuff at the same time.

MDTurbo's price on it was a lot better than what TireRack list's it at on their site....And he's a site supporter:icon_bigg !

Just checked again, and tirerack is $17 cheaper. I am sure Rob would discount a little.

I would have supported Rob, but I needed other things, and living in Canada I didn't want to clear customs twice.

MAF (V) & Grams/sec(Here, the higher the volts/grams, the more air the engine is ingesting, hence more power.)

----------------Stock Airbox----AEM CAI

--(V)&G/sec---4.86/291.08------4.90/336.14

In your tune, did you adjust the MAF scale by a constant 14.5% to account for the larger pipe diameter? Or is it trickier than that?

Thanks for the really good info.

In your tune, did you adjust the MAF scale by a constant 14.5% to account for the larger pipe diameter? Or is it trickier than that?

Thanks for the really good info.

Unfortunately it isn't quite that simple. I did start out from a tweaked stock MAF scaling, because the factory curve isn't perfect. So from that, I needed to add 10% or so across the board. I then started trimming some in the mid volts, adding a lot down low, and staying with about 10% up top.

Also, that data reflects the MAF scaling w/alky. In order to get to target afr's of 12.4-12.1, you have to manipulate the maf scaling, as the ECU doesn't allow inputs of leaner than 14.7 in the fuel table. And since we are adding fuel with the alky, it has to come out from somewhere....

So, in reality, the true amount of air being ingested is about 4-5% higher than those #'s:icon_mrgr !

Curious if you did the back-to-back testing on the same day at similar temps, as my LGT varies by 1 second 0-100mph with less than a 20 degree ambient temperature change.

A 50 degree day makes the car feel like a whole different car than a 70 degree day...

Curious if you did the back-to-back testing on the same day at similar temps, as my LGT varies by 1 second 0-100mph with less than a 20 degree ambient temperature change.

A 50 degree day makes the car feel like a whole different car than a 70 degree day...

No, not on the same day, but the temps were real close! I didn't mention it, but the IAT temps were 48 & 50 degrees, and actually favored the stock airbox. All other weather data was comparable Ie; dew point, humidity, air pressure.

I don't have higher IAT data on the Avo 450, but with the SR40 I had a worst 40-120mph of 12.126 with 80 IAT's. My best was 11.55 with 43 air temps. And this was with the stock airbox, which looking back on it now, undoubtedly was a restriction, particularly when the air temps rose, as the air thinned out....

The vf40 is much more susceptible to air temps, because it barely has enough air to make 250chp, let alone anything higher in warmer air temps.

Alky injection does wonders in keeping your power output consistent. Yes, cooler air will make more power, but the swing in power output is greatly decreased:icon_bigg !

edmundu - Good stuff! I missed this when you first put it up... Between your analysis and Jon's dyno plots from my car, it is easy to see that an upgraded turbo really opens up with a new intake. I know that I'm quite happy with the intake noise levels. Not stock quiet, but not too loud either. Besides... At some point there is no way to not make noise while sucking in 350 g/s.

Good results, thanks for sharing!

It does only make sense that if you are trying to flow +40 or 50% more air through the box, it will become a restriction... Just like our exhaust system, fine for a stock car, but crank it up and the air needs to get out!

It would be an interesting thread to start about how to modify the stock airbox to achieve better flow (without hurting intake temps).

Jeremy

I am noob... I am wondering if these "free flowing" intakes do actually harm the engine by letting some extra crap inside the engine?

While I cannot directly speak for the AEM "dry filter", the AVO panel filter is similar in construction, and I had a UOA performed on my oil w/AVO panel filter on.

It showed Silicone as 13 ppm, whereas previously with oem paper filter, I was getting 9-11 ppm. This is well within acceptable limits, and likely even real close to margin of error. I only had the Avo tested once.

I will be doing a UOA on the AEM intake in about a month or so, and we'll see what the data shows on that setup....

Archived