LegacyGT.com

Nov 17's MotorWeek Show

malvic

people shouldn't obsess over the stock 0-60 times. bench racing FTL. the good thing about the 6sp is the ability to put a big nasty turbo on the car and not worry about the transmission. ;)

Are there threads on this site about guys blowing their 5MTs? If so, I haven't seen them.

are there threads about guys going beyond 450whp? nope. the weak point are the axles.....custom ones are needed. perhaps with the 6sp, more std stuff will work.

High HP cars are rare here, but more the norm with the modded STI crew. I see the addition of the 6sp as a bridge to that community. I suspect we'll see more cars soon that are pushing the boundaries.

Subaru's have never been drag cars. You are taking the expensive route to a low ET if that's all you care about.

whoah...just watched this..

they recorded a 0-60 of 6.2 seconds! :confused:

Oh Vimy, where are you? :lol:

They did really like the handling and braking.

but 0-60 in 6.2???????????? bizarre.

They question the price 34K plus for a 4 cylinder car.

"As long as they can overlook the Subaru logo."

What asses they are.

Don't worry about it. They use the same test driver as Edmunds.com

After talking to some transmission guys a few years back,,Their opinon of the 6speed was, using some of their words,"solid,durable,bulletproof,beefy etc" plus it has the strength to take some abuse and torque from high HP motors.

I've driven/had both and IMHO there is no comparison,,drive the 6speed fr awhile and you'l see what I mean.

Subarus has improved on the 5 speed over the years but not to the point of their 6speed.

it's good to have options, that's for sure. If I still owned a 5sp LGT and wanted high power, I'd just have Andrewtech put a PPG set in the box. Tailor the ratios to the power curve. Cheaper than a Spec B.

on second thought....this would hinge on actual useful clutch options, which are slim for the LGT box. The 6sp box opens way up. ;)

After talking to some transmission guys a few years back,,Their opinon of the 6speed was, using some of their words,"solid,durable,bulletproof,beefy etc" plus it has the strength to take some abuse and torque from high HP motors.

I've driven/had both and IMHO there is no comparison,,drive the 6speed fr awhile and you'l see what I mean.

Subarus has improved on the 5 speed over the years but not to the point of their 6speed.

Absolutely the 6MT is a heavier duty unit than the 5MT. However, is it necessary for a relatively light weight OEM car (heavy mods are a different kettle of fish)? I suppose we'll begin to get answers to that when the LGTs on this forum get up around 100K mile mark. That said, most of the owners on this forum are going to be taking ridiculously good care of their trannies compared to the general public.

My venerable J30t had a reputation of having a weak tranny that was somewhat deserved. The J had the same engine and drive train as the na 300Z (detuned from 220hp down to 210 and 30ft/lbs less torque) but weighed in at least 400-500 lbs heavier. Many of those trannies would begin to fail at 60-80K. What was interesting was that where the weather conditions were generally the warmest, the earlier the trannies would fail. Guys on the NICO site took to changing the tranny filter, going to synthetic AFT and, if they lived in really warm places like FL or AZ, installing tranny coolers. As a result, these guys are running the original OEM units well past 200K. I did the first two and mine was running perfectly at 185K when I traded it in on the Spec.

FWIW, the 300Ztt was equipped with the same tranny as the Q45. The tt's tranny was considered bullet proof while the same one on the Q was considered average.

Hey Vimy - guess this shoots down the Spec B is faster rumor - maybe it was spec b is slower? :D:D

Hey j/k ... it's a joke Vim!!!!

Test was done with the heavier 07 which has an extra shift in the 0-60.

Rumor has it that the 06 Spec.B is the fastest LGT ever produced. :icon_wink:lol:

Aaaaaaaannd people wonder why I always siad I'd like a 5MT if there ever was a Legacy STi... go figure...

You'd enjoy the right 6-speed, just not the ones Subaru currently uses. My last car could hit 70 in 2nd and top 110 in 3rd, yet choosing 6th allowed you to cruise at 100 mph at 3k rpm -- that's a useful 6spd!

I wonder why subaru doesn't drop the final drive ratio just a bit more on the Legacy Spec B version of the 6MT

0-62mph in 1st and 2nd gears, and lower rpms at highway speed, and the other benefits of the 6MT, like better clutches, and better shift quality.

I am really starting to get a bit annoyed with my clutch. it is vauge, and not very easy to modulate, and slips just after the pedal is fully out, if I am driving somewhat agressively.

I am debating on whether to have the dealer try to look into clutch work under warranty, or not... I am not sure that I trust them to do the work well. Aftermarket might be nice, but again, where to have the work done... I have a little time to ponder, though. it is far from a big problem.

I have this on my DVR at home, i hadnt watched it yet but I can make a rip of it and post it up this week.

How do you do that? I have a DTV TiVo DVR and always wondered if I could rip shows from it to my comp....and yes, i'm not very tech savvy

How do you do that? I have a DTV TiVo DVR and always wondered if I could rip shows from it to my comp....and yes, i'm not very tech savvy

He probably has the kind that has a DVD drive. Some of the newer TiVos have a DVD drive, but most are still just hard drive based. It takes some hacking to get the data to your computer with a HD TiVo. Not something I'm willing to do.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

First go to the TiVo website site and download the "TiVo Desktop" software. Here is theTiVo site link to get it and read up on it:

http://www.tivo.com/4.9.4.1-2.asp

You will also need a Series II or later TiVo unit and connect your TiVo to your network. I am using a netgear wireless G USB card with my box. You can then load programs from your TiVo box to your computer. It is a slow process as it seems to take as long as the original show so a 1/2 MotorWeek would take 1/2 to upload from the box to your pc.

Additionally, if you have Roxio 8 software you can then burn the TiVo programs to a DVD.

• 2 weeks later...
Nippon version most likely...

SpecB wagon was available in Japan since the begining...

If indeed SOA would introduce SpecB wagon in the US next year, that would be really a mega surprise.

While I am not conviced about SpecB being a best bang for the buck, I'd put down deposit for one right away.... yeah, dream on.

Archived