LegacyGT.com

more dealer sucking

groff

i expected it out of the dealer up at school though, even with a top institution in town, the townspeople aren't very educated or smart. I had higher expectations back in Binghamton though, but that didn't work out either

A woman friend of mine went to buy a car a few years ago, and the salesman told her to come back with her husband or boyfriend.

If it's any consolation, if you're a middle-aged guy and you walk into a performance bicycle shop, you learn what it is like to be a ghost. I walked out after 20 minutes without so much as making eye contact.

Keep in mind that most automotive salesmen have little or no sales training, and what training they have is using methods that were never very effective. Most salespeople in industry work 9-5, five days a week and have base sallaries more than those car "salespeople." And I'd fire one that couldn't sell our products at list price. There's this weird "macho" culture propogated by old-line owners and managers in the industry that preserves this horrible reputation and low productivity.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

very true, i may joke with my friends about women not being able to drive, or young punk kids or something, but in reality there are very many skilled drivers in both of those areas and dealers and salespeople combined are both losing money but trying to maintain this stereotype of the market, which serves no purpose whatsoever, just my .02

:attention:

And SOA wonders why Legacy sales are low...

short of the MINI dealer, I've never had a good experience at a car dealer. MINI is alot like Scion or Saturn - the price is the price. This weeds out the typical used car salesman mentality and you get down to business - buying what you want.

I spent a year working for a lobbyist for import car dealers - I used to have long arguments/discussions with the old guard about this same issue. Why do I need to deal with a local franchisee? Why can't I do a factory order for exactly what I want for a fair price and then take delivery from their agent (dealer)? The answer is a dirty one....anitquated franchise laws established when the car industry was in it's infancy almost 100 years ago. US laws keep most manufacturers from dealing with consumers directly. The dealer is the one who sets price - not the manufacturer.

If you want a used car, the salesman isn't going to search for you. If you want a new car, the salesman is only going to search for you once he's convinced that it's the only way he's selling you anything at all. The guys at my store sell the cars they have, not the cars the customers want. They think Parts can turn the car into something it isn't- all they care about is the sale.

Go to the factory website. "Build" a car and click on "get a quote." They'll call you and set up a time to see you. The internet sales guys love internet sales because almost all of the work is done for them... if they have that kind of car on the lot. If they don't, then they've got to look, but the point is that they see an internet lead as an almost certain sale and don't want to screw it up. That's worth more time than someone who looks too young, etc.

I got my 05 GT wagon with a manual for a price that 2 other dealers said was a lie- that nobody could sell one for that little. The store I went with saw internet sales as such a freebie that they felt Subaru had done the advertising, not them. Since they were moving a unit that hadn't cost them any advertising money, they could move lower into the "below invoice" territory than others could.

This works best when you're being honest and actually want to buy a new car, or will look at a used car that's on the lot. Good salesmen can smell when you're wasting their time, and they won't waste time on you if they don't see a sale.

^ Well said. :D My internet guy up here in Seattle is awesome! One car per request and only serious requests. After that, it's just a day for him to put together the offer and BOO-YAH :lol:, you're looking at the price of your new car. The deal he offered me when I was shopping for my buddy was $23.9k for an '05 Black/Taupe GT MT. Very nice! This was with the huge rebate of course and after the '06's were out but it was still a great deal on an MSRP of $29.5 or so I believe.

Keep plugging away at the interent guys. They're really are your best hope. Too bad you're not West Coast! Tons of options out here!!! :)

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

If dealers can trade around new cars, why not used ones? :confused:

Because used cars have different profit margins. What dealer "XYZ" pays for a 2002 Subaru Outback may very well be different than what dealer "ABC" down the road paid for a similar car. Similarly, all new cars have the same profit margin so no problems in dealer trading. Just my 0.02 cents. I hope you find a dealer that takes your business and money more seriously.

- A.K. Maloney

Farrish Subaru

Here's one in Mass! :lol: I know I know, not quite what you wanted (nor where you wanted!) but for the price I was stunned. :)

P.S. I just like GRP but this one's opposite of mine (I have Taupe and MT)

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

anywhere in the northeast is fine, actually I fly for free, so I'm not too worried about where would prefer not xcountry tho. AUTOMATIC though I have a problem with!!!!! sorry :( no dice on this one, i think black is sexy anyway :D

unfortunately just getting out of college that will be way out of my price range (and is now). i do appreciate everyone's help though, I'll find something soon. going to check out a car next weds, we'll see how that goes!

Matt

Hmmm...that looks familiar. Or course, it's one of our cars! :icon_wink I was going to recommend it but I know it was pricier than he wanted to pay.

BTW groff, what is your price range? I may be able to help out here

Hmmm...that looks familiar. Or course, it's one of our cars! :icon_wink I was going to recommend it but I know it was pricier than he wanted to pay.

BTW groff, what is your price range? I may be able to help out here

Well, I wish I knew I had a buddy at farrish before I bought by last LGT, would probably have been helpful.

:)

Semper Fi.

16.5 cash in hand, i'm really not sure what I can get for my durango yet until I put it on the market, but i'd rather not have to use that money for the vehicle, i'd like to give it to my parents as an xmas present...

Archived