LegacyGT.com

Finally a DIY front lip!

Spec B

I'm in the process of making a garage foam/fiberglass lip. I couldn't find any rubber lips and the foam one seemed a little flimsy, so I put it in place with painter's double sided tape (weak stuff so that it would be easy to remove) and put a layer of fiberglass and resin on the bottom side so that it would hold the shape. Once it dried I took it off the car and tomorrow I am going to wrap the entire thing in fiberglass. I'm hoping that it will turn out well!

150566322_DIYFrontLip003.thumb.jpg.48268a5f6fe1fd9b6451cd35013f3895.jpg

1686855440_DIYFrontLip004.thumb.jpg.03ceb61308dfbfb817dd1cd20868079a.jpg

862868356_DIYFrontLip005.thumb.jpg.e64faf1ee562ae2508d4fb7ec517acf9.jpg

2470192_DIYFrontLip006.thumb.jpg.d8776c0d8556ed0cd20459c9095f10c4.jpg

447990974_DIYFrontLip007.thumb.jpg.e6e0a3822c6459b546ec609495506303.jpg

550123731_DIYFrontLip008.thumb.jpg.dbef85c7c962c3e2a2f396408e429b82.jpg

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i did it against my better judgement...

but... it looks amazing. these pictures dont do it justice.

that pretty much was how i felt till i finished installing, stepped back and smiled. a co-worker of mine who owns an 08 GTI with lots of perf. and tasteful appearance mods saw my DIY lip and was very impressed with it. i never told him it was a $10 home depot lip but only because he didn't notice or ask.... lol. everytime i walk past the front of my car i still take a look at it and i'm still impressed with the way it turned out.

I'm in the process of making a garage foam/fiberglass lip. I couldn't find any rubber lips and the foam one seemed a little flimsy, so I put it in place with painter's double sided tape (weak stuff so that it would be easy to remove) and put a layer of fiberglass and resin on the bottom side so that it would hold the shape. Once it dried I took it off the car and tomorrow I am going to wrap the entire thing in fiberglass. I'm hoping that it will turn out well!

Oh man, I was thinking of the exact same thing. I vote for a new thread to track the progress on your project.

i used some "back to black" on the lip as well as the other black plastics on the car and it matches perfectly

i dont think i'll ever get a real lip... i can find a much better way to spend $300+... i dont care how ghetto my home depot lip is, i like it!

Alright, so I have the DIY lip sitting here, but I can't bring myself to do it. I don't trust myself to put it on good enough for it to withstand constant highway speeds. I don't wanna put it in there with a bunch of screws and tape and then have it turn into a spike strip on the highway. Plus, I don't really like the idea of drilling into the bumper. How many holes do you drill in the bumper?

The first time I did it, it held on quite well with the 3m Heavy duty indoor/outdoor double sidded tape (the red backed one) and it held there for about a week w/out issues with 50% mountian highway and 50% freeway (65-80mph) for 70 - 80 miles a day. I Then decided that if it was going to hold up in the heat, the sticky of the tape I don't trust in triple digits and sitting in the sun. So I got some self taping/drilling screws and they work great. When I take it off, you would NEVER know that there were holes in it, uless you looked under the bumper, and honistly, how often would someone do that.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

I don't remember. I would have to count.

Edit:

I looked back at the first pictures I posted. On each side (I have the Outback bumper guard on mine) I have 8 or 9 on each side.

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Yep they are there. But the arn't for anything in USDM world. In JDM, AUDM, and EDM markets, they have factory and aftermarket lips that use them.

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Oh man, I was thinking of the exact same thing. I vote for a new thread to track the progress on your project.

The project crashed and burned. You would need to have a lot of layers of fiberglass to keep the lip rigid. Otherwise the bondo layer on top will crack when you move it around.

In the end, I held up the poorly finished lip to the car and decided that the black lip on white car didn't look like I wanted it to, so it's in the trash can. Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Thanks Gullableone, if I had thrown another $30 at it for more fiberglass and resin, I probably could have mad it work. But as it stands, I've already put $60+ into it and 12+ hours. My wife is already calling my Legacy "the Mistress"! :lol:

Thanks Gullableone, if I had thrown another $30 at it for more fiberglass and resin, I probably could have mad it work. But as it stands, I've already put $60+ into it and 12+ hours. My wife is already calling my Legacy "the Mistress"! :lol:

Well, lesson learned. Not a total loss. Guess i'll go back to my original idea of a lost-foam fiberglass cast. Should be fun sculpting a fluorescent pink lip on the front of my car :)

Archived