LegacyGT.com

LGT vs. E39 M5....

I went to the dragstrip tonight. And although I didn't do that well, it was predominantly my fault. Don't have anyone else to point the finger at...

I am plainly scared to launch the car hard out of the hole, so with 3500 rpm's, it bogs, then gets up and goes. My times:

13.03 @112mph

13.22 @111mph

Other notable cars there were a E39 M5(exh) & E60 M5(stk), E46 M3(intake/exh) C6 Vette(stk)

E39 M5 went 13.2 @109

E60 M5 went 12.6 @115

E46 M3 went 13.3 @104.6

C6 Vette did 13.2 @109 (bad wheelspin)

So I guess I didn't do too bad, speedwise, just had lousy launches. I was also fully loaded, cars seats, extra meth, small toolbag, laptop. Car weighed a hefty 3,635 lbs with me in it. I didn't attempt to lighten it up, so this is true street trim for me!

Also, while waiting to stage, the car definitely started to heatsoak the TMIC, as the IAT's went up to 66-68*, and then during the run came down to about 46-47*. Air temp was 42*. And although the temps did come down during the run, the ECU still pulled timing during these runs(2-3* lower than when I do my acceleration tests on my private track). So I know I was giving up power right there! So if I can someday bring all these things together in one run, I will have one badass LGT:lol:

As a matter of fact, I performed some tests after the track, and my timing came right back! +8 KC across the board. The car felt substantially more powerful too!

So what this tells me is that I think the TMIC is heatsoaking from idling while waiting to stage, plus since my boost doesn't seem to hold past 6.3k rpm's, the stock airbox at this point is a restriction. I have tried cranking up the wg duty %, but this has little if any impact, so it is pointing towards the stk airbox as the culprit.

I am happy to say that this tune was done on my own, using a combo of ST & Enginuity. So for that I can at least hold my head up, and come next spring, a 12 sec timeslip has my name on it. In the meantime, I'll continue to hunt unsuspecting prey in the open waters......this car packs one he$$ of punch on the topend:icon_wink .

What where your 60 foot times ?

Ross

2.16 & 2.21, respectively. Terrible I know....I was really bad on the launching. I just didn't have the guts to rev it til 4.5-5k to get that 1.8-1.9, even though I know it would have gotten me mid 12's....

I didn't even mention that I bumped the rev limiter in 1st, and on the last run in 2nd. My limiter was set for 7450!

Nice times and some ideal conditions.

I'm not sure why you suspect the intake is a restriction.

From logging, and seeing that I know I'm not much faster than my Sr40 setup was on my 40-120mph tests.

Best times with sr40

46* IAT

40-120 11.55

AVO 450

44* IAT

40-120 11.36

This thing is pulling 4.92v, whereas the best I ever saw on the sr40 was 4.84v. That's a pretty big difference, and should account for far more than 2 tenths of a second, for almost 12 seconds worth of WOT.

In addition, I cannot hold onto boost, up top, specifically around 6.3k it starts dropping boost. It goes from 20.3 to 19 to 17.8psi by 7k in 4th. With the sr40 it held 18.9psi clear til 7.1k. And it did so with only 72% wg duty. I'm running 80.5% on the Avo, and still cannot hold it....

I also have spoken with a couple of tuner's, and they both agree that the stock airbox is a restriction at this point, for my setup. We'll see once I have an intake....

If you're scared to do a full on launch then you might want to try to shallow stage and launch low enough to where you don't bog but just build up as you roll out, if that makes any sense. I talked a Galant VR4 friend of mine into trying this several years ago and it worked for him. A full on launch would be better (except for the whole diff exploding, cv snapping stuff ;) ) but atleast with this you are skipping the .2~ seconds that the bogging takes from you.

Sounds like you have a hell of a setup. I would think that with those numbers/speeds you can probably expect mid 12's. I had a VW Rabbit that ran 12.5's @ 113 so you're not terribly far off from that, just need to get the launching sorted.

If the MAF and DC are up then you are getting more air. Maybe the turbo can't move enough air at that engine speed :hide:

If the SR40 can then for sure the 450 can!

I think with an AVO400 (now 420) the stock airbox proved to be at least a 12 hp restriction, it has got to be 15-20 hp restriction on a 450.

should have bought my intake....

THAT... and you should get a clutch. clutch + launch = 1.8 60' = sub 13

maybe?

To be honest, I don't think the clutch is what's holding me back...I'm pretty sure I make less peak trq than most, if not all, of the protuned Stg 2's out there! I make more power, because I can sustain that trq for much, much longer:icon_bigg !

I'm just a sheep when it comes to launching, because, I know I will likely break something that'll leave me stranded, and the mrs. will not be pleased!

I have always said, I'll take MPH anyday over ET. Cause with MPH(read power), you will overtake ET. ET can run from the start, but trust me it cannot hide for long.....

Did you get that AVO intake yet?

Not yet, you guys seem to snatch them up too quickly:lol: :lol: :lol:

The last shipment that came in on the 25th, was gone by the 27th....I am waiting for the next shipment, and I will see whether my assumptions are correct.

I won't be able to track it this season, but I can datalog it, and have a direct comparison....stay tuned...

Next time you goto the track try putting the heat on full at 85 degree's with the AC on. I heard that helps keep engine bay cooler to lower heatsoak possibility. I've done it on one run then not on another and it definately helps as my times were better with the runs I did it so now I do it all the time. Just remember to turn it off at the gate so AC doesn't rob any power at launch.

Guest JessterCPA

This is real nice.

edmund, when we all went down to ETown, you remember Chruisser when he was launching down at the track? It was nuts. I cringed everytime he did it, but he got ridiculous results from it. He pulled 12.6-12.7 or so. Who am I to criticize? If you are launching lighter & still almost breaking into the 12's, I think you have a good setup.

Jesse

Archived