LegacyGT.com

42.50 for a Tire Rotation!!!!!

MIKEBRAVO

Am I out of my mind, or is 42.50 expensive for a tire rotation? I went to the dealer to get my oil changed (9.62 price of the filter and haz mat charge)and thought I would add the tire rotation out of convinence. I nearly shit my self when he gave me the price. How long could it possibly take, since the car is on the lift already? It only takes me 20 minutes using the spare and a jack.

I am pissed. I am really thinking about never going back. I know it is just that dealer too, because my previous dealer only charged between 15-20.

Another thing, they denied any knowledge of the keyless remote modification which fixes the remote buttons: http://www.thel7.com/TSB/15-117-06.pdf . :icon_mad:

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

It's kind of a foregone conclusion that dealers will charge extra. I complained to SOA that some of the dealers were charging more than MSRP (up to 100% more on bolts or 50% more on oil filters) but SOA told me that MSRP is just suggested and their dealers are free to re*m ... I mean charge us whatever they like.

HOWEVER, their claim of ignorance concerning the TSB is really just ignorance. It's a simple change and they can back charge SOA. I think SOA allows 1/2 hour charge for this 10 minute job... can't remember... There's really no reason for them to not look it up.

Buy firestone brand tires and go to any Firestone tire shop (you didnt even have to buy your tyres at a firestone) and they'll rotate for free.

Firestone includes bridgestone too btw so that means any subaru owner with factory tires should be able to get there wheels rotated for free at any firestone shop.

Ed

I went in to buy an oil filter and ended up just having the dealer do the oil change the other day. The guy tried to talk me into a tire rotation as well and it was around the same price, I also was in shock. I would have done the oil change myself but I didnt have time, but I'm sure as hell not going to pay someone else to rotate the tires for almost 50 bucks lol Oh yeah the guy looked at me like I was a dumb girl and said that it was to much work for a girl to do when rotating the tires. Ugh lol

Amy

04 FXT vf39 5mt

Buy firestone brand tires and go to any Firestone tire shop (you didnt even have to buy your tyres at a firestone) and they'll rotate for free.

Firestone includes bridgestone too btw so that means any subaru owner with factory tires should be able to get there wheels rotated for free at any firestone shop.

Ed

Thanks, might have to try that.

Denial is your best friend

I wait for Mr. Tire coupons. They usually have a free tire rotation one about every few months.

...sorry checked the Mr. Tire site. Looks like they are only on the east coast. but they have a rotation and balance coupon for $19.

Ed

If you buy tires at Sears or NTB (owned by Sears) you get free rotation and balance for life of the tires.

$42 is cheap. When I brought my Accord in one time to the Honda dealer, they wanted $75 to rotate the tires. My response was, "Over my dead body".

Now I just do a "tire rotation Saturday. " Every 3 months I jack up both Subies and fling around 8 tires. Takes 30 minutes for two cars.

I guess you have to figure the cost for the dealer;

- Salary (service writer, technician, porter, cashier)

- Benefits for above

- Workers comp for above

- Operating Insurance

- Electricity to run the compressor

- Coffee for you to drink in the waiting area

- Magazines

- Facility mortgage payment

- Amortized facility costs (tools, lift, ...)

Being a person who has run a business and have been responsible for multi-million dollar budgets, I can easily see how they can get to $40 bucks for 20 minutes of work.

Hell I just went to the ENT to have my throat scoped due to acid reflux. Bill was $600 for 10 minutes of work by the doctor. That is good coin.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

Depends on what was done. I cannot rotate tires at home in 20 minutes using a floor jack and the spare.

I also carefully look at each tire for embedded road debris, check tread depth with a gauge at multiple spots looking for uneven wear, inspect the flexible brake hoses, inspect the CV boots for damage and spray them with silicone, check brake pads for thickness, and make a casual inspection for damage or leaks. Plus use a torgue wrench for the final tightening.

Maybe you're getting some of this stuff without realizing it, thus more time and a higher price. Ask before you assume the monkey was just hitting the lugs with an air gun and that was all that was done.

It is still ugly.

It takes me 30 minutes minimum to rotate tires... I'm slow. Sometimes, it takes me longer especially when I start looking around and thinking... what's this!?!?

I can rotate my tires with one jack and without using the spare. If you use the jack point behind the front wheel, my rear tire will come off the ground high enough for me to remove it. Pretty easy. This might be because I have coilovers. I don't remember what it was like when I had the stock shock absorber.

I went in to buy an oil filter and ended up just having the dealer do the oil change the other day. The guy tried to talk me into a tire rotation as well and it was around the same price, I also was in shock. I would have done the oil change myself but I didnt have time, but I'm sure as hell not going to pay someone else to rotate the tires for almost 50 bucks lol Oh yeah the guy looked at me like I was a dumb girl and said that it was to much work for a girl to do when rotating the tires. Ugh lol

Was this Joseph?

Don't feel too bad, I went in for my 6k service, which was suspose to be oil/filter and rotate tires. They added $75 worth of 'inspection' charges, and didn't even bother rotating my tires. The service writer said they did it, but I know they didn't since i marked my tires before going in.

Made another appointment 2 weeks later, to pop a dent and rotate my tires. They had my car ALL day, from 7am to 6pm, and they still didn't rotate my tires.

Finally did it myself, tempted to send them a bill for it. :lol:

Archived