LegacyGT.com

Logical way to mod an Ls1 Camaro

My friend is deadset on doing an ls6 conversion on his 1998 camaro ls1 with 75000 miles. His car right now has an slp exhaust and intake. He found a conversion ket on ebay for 1025,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=017&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=270041790595&rd=1&rd=1

I thought a more logical approach would be long tube headers, throttle body, and possibly a 4.10 gear. For anybody that knows about f-body's what would be a good route to go. He told me that he and a couple of his friends could do the conversion themselves but It sounds pretty hard.

one more thing, what 1/4 times is his car capable of with just the exhaust and intake?

the LS6 is the same as an LS1 but changes where made by casting windows into the block between the cylinders, improved intake manifold, higher lift cam, higher compression, and a new oiling system better suited for high lateral acceleration. :icon_bigg bosco
Stay Stock Stay Happy

http://www.ls1tech.com

Also, the change in casting was made afer 98 to all LS1 blocks. The 02 F-bodies have the revised intake manifold as well. The oil pumps were also all changed in02 IIRC. Heas, cam and exhaust will get you to around 450 at the flywheel wihout any trouble.

That is a pretty good price. Aftermarket heads and cam will run about that much as well.

How long does he plan on keeping the car? If he is going to keep it for a while or pretty seriously race it, why stop at just the heads and cam? At 75k miles he might as well bore the cylinders, rebuild & balance the bottom and deck the block?

Does the LS6 already require premium?

It depends on what he is trying to do. Get a supercharger. It will make the car faster then all the things you said combind. Paxton make one for about $3500 I think. They have centrifugal SC that mount just like an alternator. Easy to install and at least 100+hp.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Now I am starting to feel at home.

The question is how much power does he want? I have a 98 and I wouldn't even buy the LS6 heads. There are much better aftermarket heads available.

Buy an LS6 intake, cam of your choice ( www.thunderracing.com ), pushrods, springs, longtube headers and be done with it. You can have a 400+ rwhp dependable daily driver. Yes you might take a small hit on gas mileage but it is worth it. It's all in the tune...you guys understand that :icon_bigg

The LSX engines are so lovable :)

Brian

98 Formula

Now I am starting to feel at home.

The question is how much power does he want? I have a 98 and I wouldn't even buy the LS6 heads. There are much better aftermarket heads available.

Buy an LS6 intake, cam of your choice ( www.thunderracing.com ), pushrods, springs, longtube headers and be done with it. You can have a 400+ rwhp dependable daily driver. Yes you might take a small hit on gas mileage but it is worth it. It's all in the tune...you guys understand that :icon_bigg

The LSX engines are so lovable :)

Brian

98 Formula

Glad you are right at home. How much for above said mods if you got decent prices and did all the work yourself, around 2000?

Well, to keep with the roots of this forum, I say TURBO charge it!! :icon_bigg

I know that Lingenfelter does some wicked twin turbo stuff on his vette's.

its really hard to squeeze a turbo in the camaro's engine bay. a lot of ppl do the rear mound setup

Glad you are right at home. How much for above said mods if you got decent prices and did all the work yourself, around 2000?

Buy an LS6 intake, $500

cam of your choice ( http://www.thunderracing.com ), $390 custom That website looked like they would put together a cam/spring package fro you as well.

pushrods, $150 (manley)

springs, $150

longtube headers and be done with it $300

These are pretty much estimates from Jegs, he can probably find some better prices on these. The intake is an estimate from eBay.

That comes to like $1490. Staying under 2k shouldn't be a problem.

Buy an LS6 intake, $500

cam of your choice ( www.thunderracing.com ), $390 custom That website looked like they would put together a cam/spring package fro you as well.

pushrods, $150 (manley)

springs, $150

longtube headers and be done with it $300

These are pretty much estimates from Jegs, he can probably find some better prices on these. The intake is an estimate from eBay.

That comes to like $1490. Staying under 2k shouldn't be a problem.

RangerMan is pretty darn close. You can buy LS6 intakes all day long on LS1tech for $300-350. Thunderracing has cam packages along with gaskets as well to make the swap real easy. You can buy the longtubes used as well and save some cash but a 300 budget won't get you too far b/c you'll need a new y-pipe as well. Find some ceramic coated headers or you'll be buying new ones as soon as 2 yrs b/c of rust.

I am actually selling my cam TR230 /springs Comp 918 / hardened pushrods/ LS6 oil pump / all associated gaskets. I bought the cam/springs/pushrods from a buddy of mine. He put about 6k on it until his wife made him get rid of the car...he de-modded.

Oil pump/gaskets all brand new.

Brian

My buddy has an '02 Camaro SS. Special orderd with the 335hp motor, no rear defogger, ya da de da and so on.

Well, my little LGT ran away from him last year going up an on ramp to the highway. My car was all the sudden "The balls" according to him.

He just had a supercharger installed last week. The installer tuned it to, get this, 436WHP @5000 rpm. Problem is he is making 7.5psi of boost at 5000rpm. So he cant rev it over 5k. They have the biggest pulley they can fit in there....so he's screwed on that.

Here's the result. First gear, useless. Second gear, goes up in smoke after 3500rpm. Third gear it's light out man. That car is nutty, crazy, out of control fast.

My feeling is he will blow it up as he passes me in third.:icon_bigg

My buddy has an '02 Camaro SS. Special orderd with the 335hp motor, no rear defogger, ya da de da and so on.

Well, my little LGT ran away from him last year going up an on ramp to the highway. My car was all the sudden "The balls" according to him.

He just had a supercharger installed last week. The installer tuned it to, get this, 436WHP @5000 rpm. Problem is he is making 7.5psi of boost at 5000rpm. So he cant rev it over 5k. They have the biggest pulley they can fit in there....so he's screwed on that.

Here's the result. First gear, useless. Second gear, goes up in smoke after 3500rpm. Third gear it's light out man. That car is nutty, crazy, out of control fast.

My feeling is he will blow it up as he passes me in third.:icon_bigg

So in 1st and 2nd he just smokes tires?? Well, with 436 whp I guess you need a lot of traction. What kind of tires does he have? I would hope with that much power you would have like 325's or something. Gotta stick to the tarmac to put all that power down!!

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

I am looking to sell my Formula LS1 and buy a SpecB. It will be a huge sacrifice in power...hard to live life without a V8 once you've had one.

I am sure I'll be mostly satisfied with the SpecB once tuned.

Brian

Archived