LegacyGT.com

OMG &%^&#!@!!! 50/50 always

Beanboy

That is exactly my understanding. A locked center differential (i.e., 4WD) can go from 0/100 to 50/50 to 100/0 depending on relative traction. A viscous locked center diff ought to do something similar once it starts locking.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ok what i think beanboy is talking about is gearing not power. example my camaro has a rear lsd with 3.73 gears. they will always be 3.73 gears one wheel will never have 4.11's will the other has 2.72's or something of that nature. It's always geared for 3.73:1 even though the power output can be different between the two wheels. now he's saying the center diff is geared to split power 50-50 but due to a viscous coupling the front and rear may get different amounts of power to them. i hope this helps out a bit if not just add me to the others watching and smiling.

Viscous Coupling Locking Center Differential AWD For 5-Speed Manual Transmissions

In vehicles with the 5-speed manual transmission, the All-Wheel Drive uses a viscous coupling in a center differential inside the transaxle case. It contains a series of opposing discs attached to the front and rear output shafts, surrounded by a silicone fluid. In normal operation, power is distributed equally between the front and rear wheels (50/50 power split). Loss of traction at either the front or rear wheels causes a rotational difference between the front and rear discs in the viscous unit, which then shears the silicone fluid.

The shearing action heats the fluid, causing it to thicken. As the fluid thickens, the discs lock together to transfer power from the slipping wheels to the wheels with the best traction. When traction is regained, all the discs turn at the same speed, restoring the 50/50 power split. The process is quick and unnoticeable to the driver and passengers.

The 5-speed All-Wheel Drive system is simple, compact and virtually invisible in operation. Its traction adds a significant margin of safety on all road surfaces.

Read it here.... http://www.irvinesubaru.com/enthu/awd.html

You're wrong Bean... sorry.

Umm.. buddy.. the 5MT is a viscous locking center differential, not a viscous coupling. There is an open differential combined with a viscous locker.

Power is split front and back via solid gears, not through some goop that heats up and thickens.

Wrong... see my above post... :rolleyes:

I think the key concept is net applied torque. Front wheels, for example, that are spinning faster than the rear cause the viscous fluid to stiffen sending more actual drive train applied torque to the slower spinning axle. For me, its a little weird to think about because it is a dynamic viscous liquid system that I'm still trying to get straight in my head.

Yes, it is clearly a viscous coupling to limit differential action, not a viscous coupling instead of a differential. mccorry is wrong.

I never said there wasn't a differential! :rolleyes:

Read much?

I meant that Bean is wrong in saying it is 50/50 all the time... it isn't. If you wanted 50/50... there WOULDN'T be a viscous element... you'd just have hard prop shafts and bevel gears....

I'm not wrong. I referenced Irvine Subaru.

So THEY must be wrong. :lol: I referenced their site. I'd think they'd know... since they work on them all the time.

Ok so i'm wrong about the MT, that's just how someone explained it to me when we were taking it apart (didn't rip open the center 'diff')

So the center is a limited slip diff. easy enough. but that still means that the rear end has to slip a little bit before it "locks"

Archived