LegacyGT.com

OMG &%^&#!@!!! 50/50 always

Beanboy

Why the hell can't people wrap their heads around the fact a manual subaru minus STI always has 50/50 torque split of engine output to the axles?

There are NO ADDITIONAL CLUTCHES/GEARS that magically appear when one set of axles slip people. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't need to think about it because I already know the answer ;)

Place your bet and then get ready to pay up.

Just so we are clear: The Legacy (GT, and 2.5i) have a center viscous differential which shifts torque between the front and rear axles based on the variation in tire toration speed (slip) between the front and rear axles.

IT DOES NOT! All it does is a speed diff occurs the viscous limited slip tries to lock the center diff, and since the center diff is 50/50...

First of all, the center diff is not viscous, it is geared. Only thing viscous is the limited slip coupler.

From what you describe, I can call a truck locked 50/50 system the same thing...

Put a 60 year-old pickup truck in 4WD. Put front wheels on ice, rear on pavement. What happens? OMG! Center diff shifts torque rear? No, it is a locked 50/50 system...

IT DOES NOT! All it does is a speed diff occurs the viscous limited slip tries to lock the center diff, and since the center diff is 50/50...

First of all, the center diff is not viscous, it is geared. Only thing viscous is the limited slip coupler.

From what you describe, I can call a truck locked 50/50 system the same thing...

Put a 60 year-old pickup truck in 4WD. Put front wheels on ice, rear on pavement. What happens? OMG! Center diff shifts torque rear? No, it is a locked 50/50 system...

It is not a "locked" 50/50 system.

If it didn't have the viscous diff (which it does) and was a conventional open differential then all of the torque would go to the axel that had no traction and was spinning.

Your description of the trucks center diff has nothing to do with t he Legacy's viscous center differential.

Because the viscous diff doesn't fully lock, eventhough it tries to. And because of that, it actually has a touch more power to the wheels that slip a little more than the wheels that grip, hehe.

OMG!

Using a truck system to prove a point? The Subaru system tries to fully lock, it really can't, so in fact it isn't quite as good as a fully locked system in slippery environment.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru_manual_scans/FSM_Scans/AWDMT_description.jpg

"The center differential uses a highly reliable, bevel gear"

"In addition, the the viscous coupling serves as a differential-action control to eliminate a mechanical lock mechanism"

From the 2007 Subaru Legacy Brochure:

CONTINUOUS AWD Legacy models

equipped with the 5- or 6-speed manual

transmissions use a viscous-locking

center differential. Should wheel slippage

occur, it helps transfer power to

the wheels with the most traction.

The center diff starts at 50/50 but when the oil heats up due to slipping, the viscosity changes and the torque split changes. Even if it doesn't lock, it will change the torque split.

There is no debate, the Legacy has a viscous center differential and it varies the torque split between the front and rear axles.

Yeah, that was my understanding when I bought the car. Apparently up to 90% of the torque can be delivered to either the front or rear axle. 50/50 split is just the "default."

A non-STI manual subaru can't do this:

- VDC and the Transmission Control Module

In addition to its transmission shift control duties, the Transmission Control Module (TCM) aids wheel traction. When a loss of traction is detected, the VDC system signals the Transmission Control Module (TCM) to adjust power distribution between the front and rear wheels, helping to ensure that the wheels with the best traction receive the most power.

There is no debate, the Legacy has a viscous center differential and it varies the torque split between the front and rear axles.

i believe you, just saying this thread was fun to read :icon_bigg

ROTFLMAO

Whether it's tackling a gravel-strewn FIA WRC special stage, or simply running into standing water on tarmac, keeping your car stable by getting the best possible traction is vital. That's where the technology of our torque distribution system sets Subaru apart from conventional 4-wheel drive set-ups. Evolved from the very outset specifically for Symmetrical AWD, it actively distributes engine torque to individual wheels - not just to front or rear axles, as some others do. In fractions of a second, our smart system automatically adjusts the amount of torque, giving maximum grip and stability wherever and whenever it's needed - not only in extreme conditions, but in everyday driving. The result is dynamic handling that feels truly intuitive, making the car behave like an extension of the driver's body and mind. So, even when road conditions change unexpectedly, torque distribution plays a crucial role in achieving the goal of stability and control.

http://www.subaru-global.com/about/awd/performance/index.html

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Archived