LegacyGT.com

Winter Storage...

I never done this before and need to know what's entailed.

I seldom drive the Spec.b, most of the time on the weekend for joy riding anywhere I can find a twisty road up north, usually around the Bear Mountain area.

My wife and I also have a 2006 Forester XT, she uses to get to work and back home and I walk to work 3 blocks (it'a a 7 minute walk), so I use the FXT for all my running around since we have the same work hours.

So, I'll be storing it in my garage (car cover on) from Dec. 1st to April 1st.

I have jack stands to avoid warping the rotors, but what else should I do?

Is the gas tank kept full or just a 1/4 tank?

Do I start up the engine for a while every other day?

Is it that simple or I'm I missing something?

Thanks,

Mac

I have stored cars for extended periods of time.

Don't start up the car every other day. You will never get it hot enough to burn off the mosture and will end up having problems.

Pull the battery out of the car

Put some stabil in the tank

Buy a battery charger

Enjoy when salt is washed away by the first good rain in the spring!

I never put the car on jacks.

I wouldn't bother putting it on stands...nothing will be hurt by it stitting on the tires.

Tank full of gas with gas stabilizer added.

Remove the battery and keep it charged.

Make sure the storage area does not allow access by small rodents.

Let it sit and do not start it unless you're going to take it out and and get everything (trans & diffs included) up to operating temperature.

Don't worry about it.

It is still ugly.

I heard you get the flat spots on tires if you keep car sitting on them for exteneded period of time.

Note when storing wheels with tires for exteneded period of time it's recommended to stack them on side.

I heard you get the flat spots on tires if you keep car sitting on them for exteneded period of time.

Note when storing wheels with tires for exteneded period of time it's recommended to stack them on side.

Well, I geuss thats one way to fit more cars in the garage.:lol: But what do you do if they are still on the car?:icon_wink

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

http://vtwinplus.com/Jan2005/PHOTOS/Battery_Tender_Plus.jpg

+

http://www.mclendons.com/img/products/85/85829.jpg

the tires might flatspot if left for long periods of time. I'd also get the oil changed shortly after getting it back on the road.

i got 2 cars that semi-hibernate during the winter here in chicago...

i take them out on occassion on a dry day for fun.

Here's wat I do.

1) full tank of gas, i don't use stabil...

2) tire psi to 40

3) charge battery every 3 weeks as needed at 2A.

4) turn the tires 1/4 turn every other week to minimize flat spot. on a awd, i

just let it roll inside the garage a little bit forward/aft to get it off the same

spot on the tire. for my FF and FR cars, i just jack it up and turn the tire by

hand.

that's about it. i don't use a car cover either and i don't fire up the

motor unless im going out for a spin. when you do take it out,

run A/C (use defrost mode) for at least 5-10min to cycle it.

My winter routine:

-wash and exterior detail

-Oil change before and after storage

-battery connected to the Battery Tender ^^^, negative lead pulled from chassis

-few extra PSI in the tires

-stabil in the tank. I try and leave no more than 1/4 tank so come spring time its easily diluted with fresh 93. My car is very sensative to gas quality so I personally wouldn't chance leaving it for extended periods of time with a full tank.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Lots of geat tips, thanks guys.

But...

Oil change before and after storage,

Why is that? The car is not been used, there is no breaking down of the oil.

Sometime a car sits on the dealership lot for almost a year, I don't think they change the oil before they sell you that car. Do they?

But...

Sometime a car sits on the dealership lot for almost a year, I don't think they change the oil before they sell you that car. Do they?

Oil tend to turn acidic when store in a sedentary enviroment for a prolonged period of time. As we know, acid and metal don't mix. But the chance is not really high, you may not even suffer from this until 10 years later. The choice is yours.

I have a 89 volkswagen golf GTI 16v that has been sitting for 3 years. when I stored it I had 1/4 tank of gas and added the gas treatment. I put a carpet underneath the car. Also I have a car cover and I added 50 psi on the tires, disconnected the battery. I have to get that car out of the garage and start driving it.

bump the tire pressure up. from experiance at a new car dealer. the tires are shiped at 40psi or so and are to be adjusted at the point of sale to keep them from flat spoting

But...

if you use synthetic the break down is apparently less too...

i don't change the oil before/after storage. i just change it once a year or once

every 10k miles (im on synthetic).

if you use synthetic the break down is apparently less too...

i don't change the oil before/after storage. i just change it once a year or once

every 10k miles (im on synthetic).

Well personal philosophies on oil change intervalsl will spark heated debates. I think we can agree that putting the car away with fresh oil is probably a safe bet.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Well personal philosophies on oil change intervalsl will spark heated debates. I think we can agree that putting the car away with fresh oil is probably a safe bet.

no heated debates with me. :)

putting fresh oil before storage is a safe bet... nothing wrong with that,

neither is changing synthetic oil every 3k miles... nothing wrong with that either.

I just don't do it as frequently as others and still have a great working motor

and car.

The only thing I can recommend in addition is to disconnect the fuel pump via the fuse or wire connector. Then crank the engine to purge the lines. Gasoline has parafin wax suspended in it which will settle and clog injectors/lines. Also, when you go to take the car out of storage, crank it over again with the fuel pump disconnected in order to get some fresh oil to the heads and turbo. This will help you avoid those crucial first few moments where the valvetrain is running nearly dry.

Archived