LegacyGT.com

Parking a Manual Trans. Car

Always in gear with the parking brake on. I have fond memories of being 17 and coming home from school and leaving my Scirocco in neutral with the ebrake on. Then looking out my window and seeing my car rolling down my street into a neighbors mailbox. I've never parked a car and left it in neutral since.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Always in gear with the parking brake on. I have fond memories of being 17 and coming home from school and leaving my Scirocco in neutral with the ebrake on. Then looking out my window and seeing my car rolling down my street into a neighbors mailbox. I've never parked a car and left it in neutral since.

Damn...I loved the Scirocco!! The 16V one with the tear drop rims was dope! My good friend had one..it would lift one rear wheel on hard turns..ahh good memories.

Anyway..I always roll parking brake and neutral unless I am on a hill but regardless of whether I leave it in gear or not I always seem wiggle the shifter after I start the car but before I lift the clutch..

Because the damn people don't know about this thing call responsibility. Some dumbass started the car in gear and it lurched forward hittng something and said dumbass sue the car company and the dumb people who couldn't get out of jury duty awarded the dumbass a lot of money.

I've driven manual trans cars for 16+ years and I've never owed one that wouldn't move when left in gear. It may take a little more "persuasion", but if it's downhill, it's going to zip down the hill in 1st or neutral just the same.

Neutral + parking brake for me. We don't get snow & ice here.

Why do US spec cars have an interlock to stop you starting the car without the clutch pedal depressed ?

Elsewhere in the world you have to use your brains before starting the car :lol:

At least some German cars have this interlock even in Europe. A parking attendant in Italy asked me if I knew anything about German cars... seems he couldn't get an Audi started that he needed to move, because he wasn't pushing the clutch before he turned the key. I checked after that, sure enough my FIAT would crank without the clutch depressed.

I always park in Reverse with parking brake on. Reverse has the lowest ratio and has the most "holding power." Before starting I shift to neutral.

5th gear? Are you kidding? You can probably push the car by hand in 5th.

In the colder parts the world, the e-brake is a big no no unless absolutely necessary. The snow tends freeze the cable when you park your warm car and engage the park brake and let it sit for a while. I park mine in 1st gear during the winter.

How cold does it take to freeze the parking cable?

I have been parking my car in -40C weather without freezing the parking cable. And I have been doing this for 8 winter straight.

I heard parking a manuel in neutral is bad because some stuff leaks out or something weird like that...any hear aobut this?

You're correct. Subaru uses a KY Lubricant to protect the shifter assembly. As you may or may not know, KY Lubricant has an optimal temperature reange of 98.6 to 102.7 degrees F. If the ambient temperature is not within this range, the KY will leak out of the shifter assembly unless the transmission is left in gear.

http://www.ripnroll.com/images/KY_jelly_lg.jpg

It is important to note, however:

Normal driving warms the KY Lubricant. After 15 to 20 minutes at normal operating temps., you should not park the car in neuteral. Disengaging the transmission after this length of time will cause the shifter and related linkages to turn blue and be inoperative for sometime. At that point, the shifter must be handled delicately, but firmly until a discharge is found underneath the car. Normal operations may resume after waiting one to two hours.

AT or MT. As soon as you stop, pull the e-brake, then gently let off the brake pedal to let the tranny slowly lock into place. Before this though, you should already have it in the gear of choice. "P" for AT, and, for MT, if you're pointing downhill, reverse, if you're pointing uphill or level, first gear.

Following these steps exactly let's you be kind to your tranny. The transmission doesn't just drive your car, it helps keep it place too.

And yes, below freezing, don't use e-brake, unless absolutely necessary

RTFM!

See post #10 of this thread. RTFQ...Perhaps YOU should RTFM. In P THEN parking brake for an auto trans??? And I think it's actually engine compression that helps keep an auto trans car from moving while in P.

Why do US spec cars have an interlock to stop you starting the car without the clutch pedal depressed ?

Elsewhere in the world you have to use your brains before starting the car :lol:

We can thank trial attorneys for that. Back in 1986 or 1987, some stupid woman claimed that her Audi 5000 (100) accelerated when she had her foot on the brake.

At the time, I was putting together an MBA class to tour European car manufacturers and we had invited VW-Audi's PR guy to talk to at the university. He was late because he had spent the entire day on the phone with reporters because the television show 60 Minutes had done a story about "unintended acceleration".

The idea that a driver could step on the wrong pedal wasn't of interest to the media, and soon other incidents were being reported across the country. Nevermind that this problem could have only come about in two ways:

1. Simultaneous failure of both brake curcuits coupled with a runaway throttle. (Happens all the time!)

or

2. Pressing the wrong pedal.

Audi was almost put out of business in the U.S. Later, it was discovered that 60 Minutes had altered the Audi on the television program by drilling into the automatic transmission housing and running external pressure into valve. This,evidently was how they made their car move without applying throttle, but as I recall they ignored the fact that the car could be stopped with the brake pedal.

A few years later, another "news magazine" show reported on how GM pickup trucks exploded when hit broadside. Of course, when the truck they were using for the show didn't blow up, the producers rigged an explosive charge to make sure it did on take #2. General Motors sued.

A few years ago, it was reported that finally, investigations by both the US and Canadian authorities found no problems with Audis.

And that's why we have cars that can't be started without the brake pedal depressed and the auto trans in Park, or the clutch depressed with the trans in neutral.

Of course, the posts on this thread should be enough evidence as to why American market cars have extra "safety" features.

And that's why we have cars that can't be started without the brake pedal depressed and the auto trans in Park, or the clutch depressed with the trans in neutral.

Of course, the posts on this thread should be enough evidence as to why American market cars have extra "safety" features.

you know it's weird, our 96 windstar doesn't need to have the break pressed to be started, but i always find myself pressing it when i'm in the drivers seat for no other reason than i'm used to starting a manual car so i need to push something down - right?

Archived