LegacyGT.com

Parking a Manual Trans. Car

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In neutral & emergency brake on, or in gear & emergency brake on.

:rtfm:Try cracking open the owner's manual. Page 7-36 for 05-06 models.

Plus, 'tis not an e-brake, but a parking brake.

When parking your vehicle, always set the parking brake firmly and put the shift lever in the “1” (1st) for an upgrade or “R” (Reverse) for a downgrade for manual transmission vehicles, or in the “P” (Park) position for automatic transmission vehicles. Always set the parking brake firmly when parking your vehicle. Never rely on the transmission alone to hold the vehicle.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

:rtfm:Try cracking open the owner's manual. Page 7-36 for 05-06 models.

I thought the question was quite simple. It was posed as a general manual transmission question. I don't remember asking about an '05-'06, but I'm an old bastard an smoked a ton of weed when I was young. So perhaps I DID say something about an '05-'06 and just don't recall. My car is an automatic...another indication of me being old and worn out. So RTFM wouldn't be much of help.

Thanks for the responses gentlemen, it's appreciated.

2nd gear and e-brake. One time I got distracted and let the foot off the clutch with the car in gear and running. In 1st gear it lurched a little much. So for an experiment, I tried 2nd gear and the car didn't move at all. :lol: Didn't hurt it or anything, but just kind of funny, and if you are in tight quarters, you do not want the car to lurch into something if you get distracted.

In the colder parts the world, the e-brake is a big no no unless absolutely necessary. The snow tends freeze the cable when you park your warm car and engage the park brake and let it sit for a while. I park mine in 1st gear during the winter.

AT or MT. As soon as you stop, pull the e-brake, then gently let off the brake pedal to let the tranny slowly lock into place. Before this though, you should already have it in the gear of choice. "P" for AT, and, for MT, if you're pointing downhill, reverse, if you're pointing uphill or level, first gear.

Following these steps exactly let's you be kind to your tranny. The transmission doesn't just drive your car, it helps keep it place too.

And yes, below freezing, don't use e-brake, unless absolutely necessary

RTFM!

ProTUNED by RaminiSports :icon_mrgr

When parking on flat or almost flat I use 1st gear.

Down or up hill 1st and e-brake and wheels turned so I use curb if something gives or slide out of the way.

Once I was a witness of run away car in city. It rolled downhill and collided with tramway. Not fun.

Krzys

The lower the gear (higher numerically) provides more engine braking (resistance from rolling). Reverse typically is a lower ratio than first.

Reverse gear with the parking brake on. Wheels turned toward curb if on a hill.

It is still ugly.

Archived