LegacyGT.com

Continuously variable Tranny

matthewluke60

CVT might just be the thing to push me back to a manual. Let's see what they're like after a 30 to 40 year track record. I absolutely hate the high revs just hanging there waiting for the road speed to catch up. Steps FTW.
It is still ugly.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Railroad locomotives have CVT and huge torque. Oh yeah, their CVT is generators plus electric motors. ;)

Locos have huge torque because they are diesel powered, either EMD or GE.

The Williams F1 team tested a CVT transmission on their FW15C CVT 1993 car, it worked so well, the FIA banned CVT in F1 in 1994 :lol:

If all goes well my next car will be the Evo X that they better bring to Canada finally grrrr.

And if they have it I will get the DCS, no more finicky, stinking slipping clutch, quick awd launches all the time.

I wonder if it will have launch control <dreams>....

CVTs are still banned in F1 today because of the advantage of a CVT being always in the right "gear" at the optimum engine rpm. No need to worry about being in the wrong gear or wrong part of the power band.

Hahaha, come on guys, I wasn't actually gonna leave. (if you talk a little shit more people tend to answer. ;p) Anyway, so you guys told me alot more than I knew already. My buddy just test drove the Nissian Maxima with the CVT, he said it was fun, however, stick to either manual or DSG since I'm all about performance. And on that note, how could ya'll really think I'd leave subaru over a tranny.....come on now, I'm a newbie at subaru's but not a total idiot. ;p Hahaha.

maybe, but bore you to death before you hit the speed limit.

True :lol:

At least it won't take long.

As it is, I swear this car if freaking viscous in 1st gear. Full throttle turns are crazy. Not at all uncommon for me to bounce off the limiter.

Death would come really quickly then since you don't waste any time decelerating while you are shifting.

The downside to CVT is the rubberband feeling when you step on the gas. You don't feel a direct connection between throttle position and acceleration. That's a little disconcerting.

I feel that way a little with the GT. When I first step into it, acceleration is a little tepid, but as the turbo spools, the acceleration rate rapidly increases, necessitating easing off the throttle to keep my speed in check.

It's the first turbo car I've owned, so it's been a bit of an adjustment, but I sure do love that progressive shove in the backside when the turbo spools!

Ugh! I was put in a Ford 500 rental car for a week and YUCK! That transmission made the car feel like driving an old worn out diesel Cube truck with an I6 and a blown turbo (ask me how I know).

If done right I'm sure they are great. Snowmobiles, go karts and mini-bikes are all a blast...I just didn't care for the constant engine noise, lack of connectivity and delayed response. The car seemed to perform well once going 40 mph but to pull out into traffic was borderline life endangering.

As it is, I swear this car if freaking viscous in 1st gear. Full throttle turns are crazy. Not at all uncommon for me to bounce off the limiter.

sorry to hear that your car is slow as molasses...

Main Entry: vi·cious

Pronunciation: 'vi-sh&s

Function: adjective

Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French vicios, from Latin vitiosus full of faults, corrupt, from vitium vice

1 : having the nature or quality of vice or immorality : DEPRAVED

2 : DEFECTIVE, FAULTY; also : INVALID

3 : IMPURE, NOXIOUS

4 a : dangerously aggressive : SAVAGE <a vicious dog> b : marked by violence or ferocity : FIERCE <a vicious fight>

5 : MALICIOUS, SPITEFUL <vicious gossip>

6 : worsened by internal causes that reciprocally augment each other <a vicious wage-price spiral>

Main Entry: vis·cous

Pronunciation: 'vis-k&s

Function: adjective

Etymology: Middle English viscouse, from Anglo-French viscos, from Late Latin viscosus full of birdlime, viscous, from Latin viscum mistletoe, birdlime; akin to Old High German wIhsila cherry, Greek ixos mistletoe

1 : VISCID

2 : having or characterized by viscosity <viscous lava>

• 5 weeks later...
wow you keep closing threads ...wonder why???couldnt find a gt but here is a wrx (which i know is not quite as fast but it still gets my point across that after 100 ill begin to reel your gt in ...........http://www.car-videos.net/performanc...?ID1=258&ID2=3

I know you can't reply, because well, you're banned...

But what in the world are you talking about?!

Archived