LegacyGT.com

Need a project

Last week I was working on my wife’s 2002 V6 Mustang (plugs, wires, K&N recharge – nothing special) and really go to thinking that I want a real project.

Option 1 - Do nothing, drive stock vehicles. Cheapest option. Boring. Sell Ranger and pay off ’02 Mustang.

Option 2 – Work on ’05 Legacy. Tires, break-lines & pads, springs, AP, UP/DP. Sell Ranger to finance mods to Legacy.

Option 3 - Put an intake, throttle body and some shorty headers on the Mustang. When time comes sell Ranger and buy a wagon. Keep ’02 Mustang as project. Again, sell the Ranger to finance mods to Mustang.

Option 4 - Sell ’02 Mustang and Ranger. Buy wagon and classic mustang.

Option 5 - Sell Ranger, buy classic Mustang.

I have to say I am really leaning towards Option 5 at this point which will eventually become option 4. My wife and I both really want an older car and by selling the Ranger, I should be able to pay off the Mustang and go from 3 car payments to 1 car payment (I never said I was very smart). Then the idea is to pay cash for the classic Mustang when we find one that we like. Wrench on it for a while, getting it running reasonably well and then sell/trade-in the ’02 Mustang and end up buying a wagon of some sort.

Other pros for classic Mustang (what we want is a 1968 w/302 and 4 speed if we can find it though an auto is acceptable and would be cheaper to build up) are lack of emission equipment, V8 sound, long tube headers, cool factor and 10 years from now the other cars will just be 10 year old cars with mods while this should maintain it’s value even with some mods assuming car is clean and runs well. I figure 3k into the Legacy or ’02 Mustang is 3k down the toilet (not including the enjoyment of the mods for years to come) while 3k into a 1968 fastback would be 3k I could get out of the car when I go to sell it.

Pros for the other options – well option 1 doesn’t cost me anything. I can still sell the Ranger and pay off the ’02 Mustang. I plan on doing that no matter what since it saves me money for any other option.

Working on the Legacy or ’02 Mustang is about the same though the Legacy will ALWAYS be faster and the 3k of work put into the ’02 Mustang “might” make it as quick as the Legacy…which is highly doubtful. So 3k into the Legacy and I have a car that can stop turn and go very nicely. The upside is that I can work on it a little at a time ($200 here, $300 there) and already have the car so I don’t have to buy another vehicle and use up even MORE garage space.

I don’t like the idea of trading in both cars to get a wagon and classic right away since that just trades around car payments and once that starts to happen money for mods goes out the window and I could end up with a classic ‘stang that I can’t afford to get running…

Opinions?

Feel free to laugh...it is actually a very reliable car since it is riding on a 25 year old design...for completeness I should have also included a Ranger mod option though that is just borderline ridiculous. Seriously mods on the V6 are just a waste of money (in my case, yes you can make it a very fast car though you excede the cost of a GT with mods at that point).

I like the classic Mustang option the best myself. A 347 stroker with long tubes is going to sound a hell of a lot better than anything I could do to the Legacy GT 2.5T engine too :-) Now I need to find one that isn't too nice so I don't mind tearing it apart.

P.s. Th3Franz - nice ride choice!

The Ranger is a 2002 2.3L 4-cyl reg cab, 5spd, short box, no options, 2wd, 45k miles.

It gets good gas mileage and hauls stuff. Probably not a good project car unless you wanted to really tweak out that 2.3L engine. It is too new to drop a 5.0L in there. Something cool would be an LSD diff and put the turbo 2.3L from Mazda in there. The truck only weighs 3300lbs. with me and a 1/4 tank of gas in it.

The V6 won't be modified don't worry. Legacy probably won't either. My wife and I are pretty excited to find a classic 'stang now. If we can find a fastback that won't break the bank that is the route we will take otherwise a coupe will do it.

Actually turboing the 2.3 would be a good route... LOTS of stuff out there, and it can be done pretty cheaply. 250-300whp is fairly easy.

I was considering the 2.3 for my Cortina project (since the guy I bought it from had it about 80% set up for one), but decided to go V8, since I'm really looking for around 375hp, and that would get problematic on the 2.3...

Investment wise, classic Mustang is the only choice, but buy-in is getting steep.

^ Details on the ranger? I have been thinking about a project myself :)

Are you looking for one? I've got a 4x4 4.o liter 4-door ranger for sale, for my 2005 GRP MT Legacy GT... Coincidence?

And no other toys for me right now, selling the ranger to pay down about a third of the Legacy...

Good Luck Rangerman. I'm not sure what I would do... probably classic mustang, if I could afford a decent condition example. always much more money involved to fix things...

A little freaky...do all people with '05 Garnet Red Pearl LGTs have Rangers and are trying to get rid of the Rangers?

Classic mustang all the way. Coupe vs. Fastback is the current debate. Both have pro's and con's but I think for the resto-mod that is being envisioned a coupe will be a better platform. The fastback has a lot of inherent value and is more of an investment and probably a better candidate for a true restoration. With the coupe getting a little creative shouldn't kill the car as long as it is done well and clean.

The only thing that scares me is painting.

Well I sold the truck to Carmax. They gave me blue book, probably could have gotten a little more through a private party but I was happy and felt it was fair.

Now to start looking for a project car.

My wife ixnay'd my other proposal of a early to mid 80's 911 so I guess a Mustang is what I will be looking for.

Archived