LegacyGT.com

2005 GT Rattles

heychusa

I have had a 2005 GT Limited for a little over a year (currently has 14,000 miles on it) and absolutely LOVE IT!

However, it is the worst car I have ever driven in terms of rattles - it sounds like it is made of cheap plastic!

There are rattles from both the C-Pillars and the B-Pillars, to the point where I cannot even turn my music up loud-enough to drown them out!

I have taken it to the dealership no less than 5 times with no success :icon_mad:.

They have now taken to giving me the following BS excuses:

1. There is no rattle in your car

2. All cars that contain plastic rattle like this (I told them I would not dignify this with a response)

3. Well, maybe you have not driven any other car with the sports suspension (I said, "what about my 2004 WRX?")

4. To that, he said, "well, let me call the regional and you can take him for a drive." (I quickly accepted and he backed out...)

So far, I have taken a tech on a drive with me. He heard and identified each of the rattles. They kept the car for 5 days and said it was fixed (but it wasn't).

Just wondering if anyone else has any rattles similar to this, and what you guys would do in this situation?

Thanks.

i also have the rattles.. not as bad as you however.. my rattles are on the front dash board where it meets the wind shield driver side front corner...... dont quote me but i believe i searched this before and it was a big problem. i even think someone took their dash apart and found the broken piece in his dash and just used some folded up paper to keep it from rattling.

that is the only rattle i get, what else are you getting?

I believe that mine are mainly from the four plastic pieces (where the two front seat-belts are on the B-pillar and the two back seat-belts are on the C-pillar). They have also replaced the arm-rest extention twice and tightened the front passenger seat because it was rattling.

I know that these are not affecting the performance of the car (which I love), but they are very annoying...

I just spent about an hour with felt and foam rubber strips. I took off the a pillars and trimmed some plastic off. Though there's already foam rubber on the side that needs it, there's little plastic moldings that stick out past the foam rubber.

I taped down the wire that runs up inside the a pillars and put felt behind the clips. I also put a strip of foam rubber alongside the air-bag "guard" (not sure what else to call it) and felt where the a pillars "clips" into the dash.

This seems to have solved the "buzzing" I've heard from the a pillar (pressing the pillar would make it stop) but not the "clunking" from the dash. Not sure what to do about that.

I've also got a nasty buzz coming from the back. I assumed it was the roof liner against the glass (you can press on it and see it makes a noise when it hits, and doesn't take much to do it) and ran some foam rubber where they meet. However, this didn't fix it so I'm not sure where the rattle back there is.

i also have the rattles.. not as bad as you however.. my rattles are on the front dash board where it meets the wind shield driver side front corner......

Ditto...I was able to take it to the dealership who are going to pull the dash to stop rattle by putting tape and gummi black stuff on the dash guide pins used during production to guide the dash against the firewall.

Confidential Mechanic confirmed that my Subbie was not the onlyone to have this rattle...go figure!

Cheers,

Mike

3. Well, maybe you have not driven any other car with the sports suspension (I said, "what about my 2004 WRX?").

Both my friends' WRX wagons (2002 and 2003 model years) have zero rattles. One of them has a faint buzz that comes and goes when the temperature dips below freezing but otherwise absolutely no other unpleasant sounds.

I am debating between the WRX wagon and the Legacy GT Wagon at this point, and this may be one of the factors that might swing my decision in the WRX's way.

The quality of the materials employed within the WRX are a bit downmarket but the assembly quality is top-notch.:icon_cool

Both my friends' WRX wagons (2002 and 2003 model years) have zero rattles. One of them has a faint buzz that comes and goes when the temperature dips below freezing but otherwise absolutely no other unpleasant sounds.

I am debating between the WRX wagon and the Legacy GT Wagon at this point, and this may be one of the factors that might swing my decision in the WRX's way.

The quality of the materials employed within the WRX are a bit downmarket but the assembly quality is top-notch.:icon_cool

I guess it all depends.. cuz my friend had it bad in his WRX. You heard rattles in his car even with his 3-inch catless indivia exhaust. Just like I bet there are plenty of people with legacys that experience zero rattles.

Ok, I think the issue we're all sharing is that we all have 2005's. I mentioned this briefly in another thread. Because it's the first new model year, I don't think they got the quality control down pat the first time around. Other MYs please chime in.

I'm at 40,000 miles right now and these rattles are starting to get to me. I think the only real solution is to take the interior bits apart ourselves and dynamat it (or cushion) like BlackonBlack said.

I'd really like to be able to drive another legacy (the 2008s look so sexy), but I don't want to put up with the rattles anymore.

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

I had a rattle...it was my garage door opener.

That was actually one of the problems I ran into with my Accord. I'd clear all my crap out, take the car to the dealer for rattles... and no rattles! Finally realized it was just my own stuff ratling.

I've been much more careful with my stuff since then, positioning it in such a way as to prevent rattles.

Don't feel too bad. The 06's rattle too. Its scary. Never buying a car made in Indiana again, thats for sure! Mom's Mazda6 is made in the States, and its completely silent at 40k miles. My 06 doesn't even have 6k miles on it, sounds like its been a taxi in NYC or something.

Ugh! The numerous rattles are really the only issue I have with my LGT. My worst one is in the center cupholder area, or perhaps its underneath the shifter, not sure exactly where it is, but it's definitely driving me crazy. I also have intermittent rattles in the drivers side corner of the dash, in the center of the dash, and occasional pass. side B pillar rattles. This thing rattles more than my old 626 ever did. Great car other than that, maybe I should count my blessings...

in the center of the dash

Do you have the auto dimming/compass mirror?

I thought I had a rattle coming from the center of the dash, but I found out it was actually the mirror (just hold it, buzz goes away). It's like the sound is bouncing off the dash and into me, and MAN is it annoying!

• 5 weeks later...

Those with rattles really must search this forum. Search under my username, because I too had 2 terrible rattles - one from the trip computer/CD player area and one from the dirver's air vent area. I fixed both of them very easily. I used to have to play the strereo wherever I drove and thought I was going to go crazy. My car is now rattle free!

Good luck, Chris

• 2 months later...

Archived