LegacyGT.com

call me crazy, but why not?

ok...i have a 2.5i, love the car to death, but ive been doing some research.

i own a 2005 legacy 2.5i with approximatly 30,000 miles on it. engine is bone stock other than the intake silencer removal and a k&n drop in panel filter.

stock, the engine produces 168hp, it does not have the i-Active Valve Lift that the 2006 legacy 2.5i has that bumps up the power to 175hp. anyways, i have been thinking about a turbo for a few weeks now. when i first got the "idea" i compared the 2.5i's engine with that of the GT's. both the motors are the same EJ25 block, except that the GT is a DOHC and the 2.5i is an SOHC. im not sure i could sqweeze 250hp like the GT's out of the block, but i know i can get an ass load of torque because of the Single Over Head Cam configuration.

if i decide to do so, this will hopefully happen after next summer.

now, i want to be clear....im not just slapping on a turbo like you would a civic and drive it for a week just to blow the motor and not even care(thats how they do in erie PA anyways..) im not being cheap in anyway about this...if i do it, im going to do it right.

that means i havent forgot the essentials: (i have never turboed a car, so let me know if i leave anything out)

high compression pistons

remap ECU

replace inatake manifold with GT or STI

install high strength cams

more requirements? please let me know.

currently, there are no legacy specific turbo kits available, this does not suprise me because if someone wanted a turbo one, they would buy a GT. and i know thats the responce ill probably get from everyone, just buy a GT, you'll be spending just as much....well lets just think dumb for a bit, say thats not at all and option for me, because well, it isnt. this is something that i want to do, and i am going to do it right, and it will be extreamly custom and expensive, but also extreamly badass.

ive already begun to think of parts i will choose to do this:

all turbo piping, compressor, manifold, headers-GReddy.

front mount intercooler-Perrin.

Cat back, uppipe, downpipe-Greddy

what are your thoughts? other than, "your a f***ing idiot.":)

You are not going to want high compression pistons ... most turbo motors have lower compression than their NA conterparts.

If purchasing a GT isnt an option, perhaps an engine swap would be an easier way to go. You sould be able to find a 2.5GT motor around somewere (a few guys here have killed their cars). This would be a lot easier and probably cheaper in the long run. You could also sell you NA motor for a decent amount to recoup some cost.

Just a thought

I vote supercharger!

THAT would be a rare and really cool thing to see. Also, you will want to look up Maximum Boost or Supercharged! by Corky Bell. They both contain much of the same basic information on forced induction but specialize in turbos and superchargers, respectively.

Good luck with the project, I can't wait to see what you decide!

Wouldn't it be cheaper to trade your car for GT?

For price difference you will get better engine, larger brakes, better resale value if it is important, less time spend under the car and more time driving it.

The last thing might be important if it is your daily driver.

The things that you miss going GT:

unique car - modified Legacy 2.5i are rare I suspect;

all the stuff you learn doing it.

Krzys

Hmm....that makes no sense. For all that work and $$$$$ spent, just sell it and get a used '05 GT for a few grand more. Just my .02.

EDIT: Sorry, did not read your post completely to the end where you recognized that you wanted to do the turbo mod right and not buy a GT...

But still???

I'm thinking crazy.

There are many reasons it would be smarter to sell your car and buy a GT. Things like

--reliability

--resale

--cost

--warranty

--driveability

But no doubt you already know all of this. So, care to shed more insight on your reasons for wanting to go the conversion route?

Guest *Jedimaster*
I vote supercharger!

THAT would be a rare and really cool thing to see. Also, you will want to look up Maximum Boost or Supercharged! by Corky Bell. They both contain much of the same basic information on forced induction but specialize in turbos and superchargers, respectively.

Good luck with the project, I can't wait to see what you decide!

Me too-they're a lot more fun than turbos, IMO and it should be cheaper to put together.

Superchargers are better low-end, but not as good high end. Think less lag, but more drag (on the engine).

When paired with direct injection turbos can also be nearly lag free. Add better fuel economy with a turbo, and superchargers might have a limited future.

Superchargers are better low-end, but not as good high end. Think less lag, but more drag (on the engine).

When paired with direct injection turbos can also be nearly lag free. Add better fuel economy with a turbo, and superchargers might have a limited future.

^Nothing new here...

Don't mean to be a dick, but my recommendation was based on creating a unique car that would be something new for the forum, not achieving an all-out performance sedan.

but i know i can get an ass load of torque because of the Single Over Head Cam configuration

Superchargers = low-end grunt

and it should be cheaper to put together.

I know he's saying should, but I agree with him... even if your only setting it up for 6-8 PSI, it will still give a lot better response at a fraction of the cost and complexity.

____

Based on the OP's request, I think a high tech turbo will not be the solution he is looking for. Plus the exclusivity would be really cool.

One more thing: why should the SOHC be better for low-end torque? Both engines are 16-valve. The DOHC just has fewer and smaller bits in the valvetrain, so it should be able to rev higher. Might also have a more efficient angle between the valves.

i really do not understand the thought of this... why not just trade in for a GT? or a used GT at that..because in the end your going to end up spending the same amount...

so you wnna be unique?... buy a used GT for around 20k and still have the luxury of warranty

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

Guest *Jedimaster*
^Nothing new here...

Don't mean to be a dick, but my recommendation was based on creating a unique car that would be something new for the forum, not achieving an all-out performance sedan.

Superchargers = low-end grunt

I know he's saying should, but I agree with him... even if your only setting it up for 6-8 PSI, it will still give a lot better response at a fraction of the cost and complexity.

____

Based on the OP's request, I think a high tech turbo will not be the solution he is looking for. Plus the exclusivity would be really cool.

I wasn't clear- I was agreeing with you.

just to blow the motor and not even care(thats how they do in erie PA anyways..)

what are your thoughts? other than, "your a f***ing idiot.":)

Well, being from Erie, PA my thoughts are "your a f@@@ing idiot:lol: ...

Sorry, couldn't resist :) .

I'm with the guys who suggest a trade. Email Jim Corey, the internet manager at New Motors and see if you can work out a deal. I don't think they have any GTs in stock (I checked their website...actually drove through their lot the other day and it was EMMMMMTY....I was lookin for an STI LTD) ......but he could probably get an LGT for you. If not, there are plenty of other dealers that could.

You are probably better off with an LGT as a platform for future mods because something tells me that future mods are in your future :icon_wink

Cheers.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

heres one thing to consider:

Evo guys laugh at lancer guys the turbo their cars...typical resposnse is... why didnt you just get an evo?

well lets see...8k for a used lancer plus 3-5k for turbo, and your only at 13k...

EVO=26k for the RS ~30k for the GSR, plus insurance sucks on the EVO...Lancer guys Cannot Afford another 13k to Finance...

in your situation however...you can get what for your 2.5i? 16-18k?...a used GT is going for 20-22k, 20 is you shoup around enough...giviing you a difference of 3-6k

it seems like a lot right now...but a custom turbo kit or S/C kit, will run you about 2.5k-4k...also dont forget about all the supporting mods...and tuning/fuel management thing like that... byt that time, you would have made up for the differece between the 2.5I and the GT already

i would just weigh your options if anything

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

Guest *Jedimaster*
^ you were plenty clear :). I was responding to mkaresh by citing your support...

I still want a link to that av pic BTW...

sorry dude, not sober.

The idea of a supercharged 2.5i is cool!

I'm just glad there are people out there wealthy enough to do things like this! Because once you get the horsepower boosted, you'll also have to upgrade the transmission, suspension components, brakes, etc.

This is not to mention overcoming the engineering challenges of mounting a turbocharger on a boxer motor. Trying to keep the tubing runs short, and engineering sufficient airflow through the intercooler should be a blast! Then you can start in on the exhaust!

Once everything is tuned up and running perfectly in 100 degree summer heat without detonation and winter cold, you can work with a mechanic to keep it in perfect tune - since no dealer will touch it.....

I think it's wonderful that someone is willing to spend $10,000 on a $22,000 car to make it the equivilent of a $28,000 car. But I am not one of them.:icon_wink

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Archived