LegacyGT.com

Updated European Legacy (wagon lovers drool)

Tide

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overall, I welcome the exterior updates. It looks like it borrows a lot of lines / elements from the BMW 5-series and a Saab or two.

I actually like that grille on the OB. It makes it look more substantial. In fact, I like the current USA OB's grille over the current Legacy because of the "more substantial" grille.

No chrome strip on the back of sedan! Woohoo!

But I do agree with most of the negatives here. Red reflector on bumper could be more horizontal vs. vertically oriented.

Pics of the interior would help. Although those in Australia aren't painting a good picture for the refreshed interior, I'd like to see it myself to judge it.

Does anyone know if and when this refresh will be introduced States-side?

That sh!t is dope...NOw I definitely need to trade mine when they get here. Those wheels look like they came off an Audi S8...come to think of it the nose looks somewhat Audi-ish as well.

Actually, the wheels look like big, heavy Audi A8 wheels, not S8. (See pics attached.) In other words, blech on the wheels. Not right on this car.

I just don't know...I like the bodywork overall. I just worry Subaru is trying too hard, moving too fast to try and play the role of a BMW/Audi alternative brand. It's like they're starting to lose their identiy a bit.

2047307734_A8-Wheels.jpeg.jpg.57ad0ef00b6f72f065c0096f5b2c1aed.jpg

1991725676_S8-Wheels.jpg.5cd2f86b24e51b95bc2e166f13ce946e.jpg

Hmmm...I don't know.

The Ray's wheel has 10 spokes, like the Subie wheel, but the spokes on the Subie wheel are thicker, like the Audi wheel. The Ray's wheel is sporty looking, while the Subie wheel is trying to be more elegant. Subaru apparently has a six-spoke alloy as their sporty alternative (see pics.)

The 10 spoke design isn't bad, but IMHO it doesn't look right on a Legacy. It's no different than when people fit Audi A8 wheels to their A4's or even A3's; it just isn't a good wheel+car match.

The more pics I see elsewhere of the different 2007's, though, the more I really like what Subaru has done. Didn't take me long to warm up to it!

Lord help me if they bring the STi wagon here - I think I'd be saying tearful goodbyes to my S4 soon after.

10oikic.jpg.82962875d5002caafff984967a3deacf.jpg

10oiir6.jpg.99b40db25bcec50101d06b8100e2a4bd.jpg

I am sorry, while I like this car, the next one I buy I want to hold onto for a while, and fauxluminum aint gonna cut it.

The sad thing, is for the same price this 08 will prob be, EVERYONE else offers metal trim (Acura TSX, TL, Mazda 6, etc. etc.)

I don't know what TSX you've been looking at, but my wife's TSX has plastic "metal-look" trim. It's either a thin coating of metal on the plastic (like many plastic "chrome" parts get) or metallic paint. The TL is the same way. In fact, I think almost all of the cars have plastic metal trim. Real metal would be overly expensive and potentially unsafe.

I don't know what TSX you've been looking at, but my wife's TSX has plastic "metal-look" trim. It's either a thin coating of metal on the plastic (like many plastic "chrome" parts get) or metallic paint. The TL is the same way. In fact, I think almost all of the cars have plastic metal trim. Real metal would be overly expensive and potentially unsafe.

i beg to differ...although i've been wrong B4, but the TL does have metal trim running down both sides of the radio/hvac. by touch, the trim feels like metal and holds temp like metal. i will try to eat a piece tonight, and if i get that awful feeling...like when you hit a piece of gum wrapper with your filling...than we'll know it's metal.

It definitely needs the hood scoop back!

They made the OB look more SUV-ish...that grill has got to go

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2006/09/subaruoutback.jpg

+1

Reminds me of a Pacifica or an Explorer or something....

But that could be as easily changed as I changed out the wings on my wagon.

i beg to differ...although i've been wrong B4, but the TL does have metal trim running down both sides of the radio/hvac. by touch, the trim feels like metal and holds temp like metal. i will try to eat a piece tonight, and if i get that awful feeling...like when you hit a piece of gum wrapper with your filling...than we'll know it's metal.

The trim in our TSX looks like metal, feels like metal, etc, but it's really plastic. Most of the "chrome" parts on other cars are really plastic too. They just have a metallic coating.

If it really was raw aluminumn, it would need some sort of finish (or frequent buffing) to keep looking all nice and satiny. Real aluminum would show fingerprints, smudges, etc... quite easily unless it were anodized, and the satin finish Acura uses is definitely not anodized.

The grill borrows a feel from Acura.

The wheels are Mazdaspeed.

The rear chrome strip is Chevy Malibu.

The rear reflectors feel like Acura TL.

The grill on 08 Outback is ... something else.

It reminds me of Hyundai - each year their cars look like some other brand. What Subaru needs is a solid brand image. These 3-piece grills on some cars, Forresters that don't match anything else, Tribecca Saabs...

Where's the family trait? How does one *know* its a Subie?

The star badge? Nope, that gets replaced with L7 sometimes...

If you don't have solid brand recognition, you miss out on brand sales. I think Subaru suffers greatly in this area. Sure they can create good looking cars. So can kit-car designers.. and in the end it's a just a little odd, maybe quaint, or "exotic" if you're lucky.

Mind you it's getting better, keep up the good work Subaru and keep pointed in a solid direction. Don't give up all the past - there's some heritage value in there, somewhere.

Cheers

Scott

I'm not quite sure, I got lost in the expansiveness that is the internet. After months of searching and fighting with creatures that speak various tongues of code I have finally found myself back to the homeland. Through the time I have learned many new great skills, these skills will be important in the time that lays ahead and I look forward to continuing the quest.

Cliff Notes: Heineken and school work.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived