LegacyGT.com

SPT intake on a 2005 Legacy GT wagon

spyguy

UPDATED!!! see post 11 and 12

Last night, I installed the SPT intake in my girlfriend's legacy wagon. Pretty easy install.

For those that are going to do this, dont forget to disconnect the batter and reconnect it, otherwise your cruise control light and check engine light stay on (yes, this happened to me last night).

Anyways, i love it.

you can hear the turbo and blow off vavle on WOT.

normal driving, you barely hear anything.

Also, i think i hear the waste gate too , is that possible?

Also, i think i hear the waste gate too , is that possible?

Yes, that's possible.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

on Nasioc forums, they're saying there's a loss of HP with the SPT intake....

can anybody shed some light on this?

i dont plan on autoxing or entering in a rally competition any time soon, but it's disappointing to pay for something that makes noise, at the sacrifice of power..... anybody else know about this?

on Nasioc forums, they're saying there's a loss of HP with the SPT intake....

can anybody shed some light on this?

i dont plan on autoxing or entering in a rally competition any time soon, but it's disappointing to pay for something that makes noise, at the sacrifice of power..... anybody else know about this?

here...this should shed the appropriate light on your cicumstances...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39654&highlight=spt+intake+power+loss

^ And to-note, as a supplement to brother PhilT's cited post, Subaru/SPT has yet to provide the promised datalogs/dyno-graphs to prove their counterpoint, which I had cross-posted in copy-paste format on the last page of the referenced thread. :(

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

i'm bringing the COBB report to the subaru dealership and see if they can help me out with this issue.

i'm pissed i didn't read that report before i bought the intake. I figured if it was from SPT, i had nothing to worry about.

yeah spt really needs to step up their game. I remember getting my hopes up when i read about all the extensive testing subaru had done and it turns out to be a worthless. The spt exhausts had crappy build quality and the intake is not even worth looking at. When will subaru make parts even worth mentioning?

I emailed SPT in regards to the intake power loss and other problems found in the COBB report, here's the response i recieved:

Quite a quick response by SPT when i emailed them earlier today. It makes me believe that they were all over the issue when it arose from the COBB report.

My faith is somewhat restored with SPT....

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/8223/sptfixedoperationshn9.jpg

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/6697/sptfixedoperations2rw3.jpg

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/9325/sptfixedoperations3yh4.jpg

Here is what was said in the email additionally:

Dear Mr. Ng:

Thank you for visiting the Subaru web site and for your message!

We cannot comment on an aftermarket companies testing of our competetive product. We are not in a position to argue with their results, but as a large corporation, we invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in resources designing, developing, and dyno testing this products.

Any intake, even the stock airbox is subject to heatsoak, etc. Our testing in real world conditions around the country, from Alaska to Texas to Florida, over the course of more than a full year, in every climate, and every season, did not result in any power losses.

We are aware of the some of the borderline slanderous comments against our products on the internet. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I cannot speak for Cobb as to how accurate their very brief test of our product was. A four wheel dyno and a fan blowing on the intake is not even close to representative of real world driving conditions.

The new intakes are so popular, they are currently on backorder, and our supplier is working hard to meet the high demand. I will send you some additional, more detailed info in a separate attachment/email. If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to reply to this email!

Best wishes,

Samir Hasan

Subaru of America, Inc.

Customer/Dealer Services Department

-----------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr. Ng:

Thank you for visiting the Subaru web site and for your message!

We cannot comment on an aftermarket companies testing of our competetive product. We are not in a position to argue with their results, but as a large corporation, we invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in resources designing, developing, and dyno testing this products.

Best wishes,

Samir Hasan

Subaru of America, Inc.

Hundreds of thousands ???

They have to be joking right ?

That is exactly the letter that was already talked about in this thread, by TSi+WRX

To date SOA has done nothing to back up their claims. No dyno results, no charts, no nothing. Just a bunch of words on paper.

Unlike Cobb (who doesn't actually gain anything by pointing out the SPT faults) who provided a huge amount of information.

That is exactly the letter that was already talked about in this thread, by TSi+WRX

To date SOA has done nothing to back up their claims. No dyno results, no charts, no nothing. Just a bunch of words on paper.

Unlike Cobb (who doesn't actually gain anything by pointing out the SPT faults) who provided a huge amount of information.

...or misinformation....

We are not in a position to argue with their results, but as a large corporation, we invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in resources designing, developing, and dyno testing this products.

Best wishes,

Samir Hasan

Subaru of America, Inc.

I'm already concerned. Give this guy a grammer check before he sends out emails.

spyguy,

Like myself and other brothers here have already mentioned in posts pre-dating your own, those sheets that you'd posted - as well as the "canned" e-mail response, have already been well-cited here.

While SoA/SPT are certainly entitled to their counterpoints - and some of them do make sense - the problem is that while it's all well and good to say such things and make such counterclaims, they've *YET* to provide any conclusive physical proof to counteract the "accusations" made by Cobb Tuning and several other well-noted tuners in our hobbyist community.

SoA/SPT made promises to do so, but have failed to deliver. And while the written response in the format of the "bulletin" was rather rapid in coming, the physical proof has yet to manifest, and this in and of itself gives our enthusiast community much pause, for if such time and effort (and now, it seems, also expense) was spent in dyno- and road-testing this product, shouldn't such proof already exist? and would't it be prudent (not to even speak of marketing-wise) to reformat (if necessary) and publish those results as soon as possible, to counteract any "accusations?"

As you can see, this is where we as an enthusiast community have started to lose faith in SoA/SPT. Certainly, the initial independent test results shocked many of us, but even then, despite the respect that we had for the tuners who presented such results, some of us were willing to sit and hear Subaru's side of the story.

But alas, their inability to respond with anything more than rhetoric has made us enthusiasts regard this product as nothing more than a joke, and further darkens the black-eye that SoA/SPT has recently incurred upon itself with the first-batch "SPT Cat-Back Exhaust" debacle.

We, as a community of enthuisasts, are neither impressed nor convinced.

:(

spyguy,

Like myself and other brothers here have already mentioned in posts pre-dating your own, those sheets that you'd posted - as well as the "canned" e-mail response, have already been well-cited here.

While SoA/SPT are certainly entitled to their counterpoints - and some of them do make sense - the problem is that while it's all well and good to say such things and make such counterclaims, they've *YET* to provide any conclusive physical proof to counteract the "accusations" made by Cobb Tuning and several other well-noted tuners in our hobbyist community.

SoA/SPT made promises to do so, but have failed to deliver. And while the written response in the format of the "bulletin" was rather rapid in coming, the physical proof has yet to manifest, and this in and of itself gives our enthusiast community much pause, for if such time and effort (and now, it seems, also expense) was spent in dyno- and road-testing this product, shouldn't such proof already exist? and would't it be prudent (not to even speak of marketing-wise) to reformat (if necessary) and publish those results as soon as possible, to counteract any "accusations?"

As you can see, this is where we as an enthusiast community have started to lose faith in SoA/SPT. Certainly, the initial independent test results shocked many of us, but even then, despite the respect that we had for the tuners who presented such results, some of us were willing to sit and hear Subaru's side of the story.

But alas, their inability to respond with anything more than rhetoric has made us enthusiasts regard this product as nothing more than a joke, and further darkens the black-eye that SoA/SPT has recently incurred upon itself with the first-batch "SPT Cat-Back Exhaust" debacle.

We, as a community of enthuisasts, are neither impressed nor convinced.

:(

+1

Well said...

Archived