LegacyGT.com

I like claying but...

sorry guys. i hate getting into arguments with people that

get real nit picky on things most of us already know.

but i do know that there are newbs here too so want to

make sure we get the facts down before someone with

less experience start doing something and damage their

paint.

Well, not to be nitpicky but it's "noobs" not "newbs."

:icon_wink

Carry on.

had to do an emergency claybar session last night. :lol: I was driving to a meeting with my VP in the new MINI and there was a DOT truck painting lines. We had to turn into the building we were going to, but the truck had slowed down right after the turn-in. :eek: I was going to wait, but traffic was bearing down behind us, and a dump truck was coming at us fast. I did my best to blast across the new lines straddling the stripes.

Got home last night and noticed I had white spatter on the driver's side of the car, and a bunch in the wheel wells and on the fender plastic. <bites nails> Pulled out the pressure washer, sprayed it down, used my finger nail n the plastic, then dried the car and claybarred the sides. Sprayed it clean, then washed it and all traces are gone. Total time = 30 minutes start to drinking a Corona. :lol:

had to do an emergency claybar session last night. :lol: I was driving to a meeting with my VP in the new MINI and there was a DOT truck painting lines. We had to turn into the building we were going to, but the truck had slowed down right after the turn-in. :eek: I was going to wait, but traffic was bearing down behind us, and a dump truck was coming at us fast. I did my best to blast across the new lines straddling the stripes.

Got home last night and noticed I had white spatter on the driver's side of the car, and a bunch in the wheel wells and on the fender plastic. <bites nails> Pulled out the pressure washer, sprayed it down, used my finger nail n the plastic, then dried the car and claybarred the sides. Sprayed it clean, then washed it and all traces are gone. Total time = 30 minutes start to drinking a Corona. :lol:

dang, you got two MINI's in your garage? nice! :icon_mrgr

good to hear your clay worked on removing the paint. Did you wax it afterwards?

I've used both the Mother's and Meguiar's. Feels the same with respect to the clay itself, though the color is different. The Mother's was $10 cheaper and has better smelling spray....if you need a reason to pick one over the other.

FYI 3M now also do a clay bar which I have used, and although no better then Mothers or Meguires was slightly cheaper. 3M is a very large organisation and to get involved in this arena indicates there is something to the clay. I am at least a believer.:wub:

Regards,

What can I use for lubricant while claying my car? I've used up the bottle of lubricant that came with the clay bar, but as far as I can tell, the clay is still good and I would like to use it again. Would something like some soapy water work?

Rocket

as inexpensive as the kits are i would just buy a new one. anyway after so many uses are you sure there no grit in clay? why take a chance. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

as inexpensive as the kits are i would just buy a new one. anyway after so many uses are you sure there no grit in clay? why take a chance. bosco

I've only used the clay twice, so it's got a few more cars in it. But like I said earlier, I'm out of lubricant.

I have used both brands mentioned here and Mothers is far superior.

THe best thing with mothers is the clay is a light color, so you can see when it's time to knead over beacuse of the dirt it picks up. The other brand I believe is a blue color clay, which doesn't knead as well and doesn't show the dirt as well either.

What can I use for lubricant while claying my car? I've used up the bottle of lubricant that came with the clay bar, but as far as I can tell, the clay is still good and I would like to use it again. Would something like some soapy water work?

Rocket

That's what I use. I just mix up some soap and water and that works out great. It makes a mess on the car while you are claying, but that is the only difference. With most clay lubes you can wipe down the paint as you go and you don't have to wash the car afterwards. If you use soapy water then you just need to wash the car again when you are through, but other than that it isn't a problem. I'd rather do it that way than drop ten bucks on clay lube every time I detail a car. This way I don't have to be chinsy with the lube.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Buy any detail spray, that is all the lubricant is...

Not exactly, but QD does work too. Clay lube is typically more slippery than normal QD. Clay lube wouldn't be a good QD, but QD works as a clay lube. You wouldn't want to dust off your car with clay lube. It would make a mess.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived