LegacyGT.com

Window Closes on SOA LegSti Sedan

MtnSub

Oh now there is a good marketing strategy.. let's dress up this econo box and use it to gauge how well a Legacy STi might sell...

Well what do you think the Spec. B. is to the Legacy GT? Why did they make the STi Limited? To sell to people who LGTs but with 300 hp? If I could afford an STi, Id want one with the huge ass spoiler...but then Im a kid.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dunno bout that. My roomies 95 Legend is runnin up some bills now. And with this bein Hondas first AWD, who knews what could go wrong. Early 4matics got jammed on and burnt up motors.

plus hondas/acuras rust

A 95 and you expect bulletproof? Come on.

And with this bein Hondas first AWD, who knews what could go wrong.

ummm....'Honda's first AWD'??? Are you nuts? :lol: Honda put AWD in a Civic wagon 20 years ago. They've offered several models since, most popular of all being the CR-V. Let's see....add to that the Acura RDX, Honda Pilot, Honda CR-V, Acura RDX, Acura RL, Ridgeline.....probably something else I forgot. Subaru does not have the corner on the AWD market.

http://i.tnpv.us/pv/2004/08/12/HON2004081272483_pv.jpg

plus hondas/acuras rust

and Subaru's don't, right? :lol:

First I off, I would be shocked if the same people who would be seriously considering buying a Acura would seriously consider buying a Subaru. Maybe I am wrong because of alot of us looked at the TL or TSX when buying our Subaru... but still. I would supose that the Type-S would even outsell a legacy sti because it is a "fast" acura. The Legacy seems to be either sold to older lovers of Subaru, or WRX'ers wanting to move up in quality, not people willing to spend 40 g's on an Acura :D

ummm....'Honda's first AWD'??? Are you nuts? :lol: Honda put AWD in a Civic wagon 20 years ago. They've offered several models since, most popular of all being the CR-V. Let's see....add to that the Acura RDX, Honda Pilot, Honda CR-V, Acura RDX, Acura RL, Ridgeline.....probably something else I forgot. Subaru does not have the corner on the AWD market.

The RL is the only car to have SH-AWD. Those Civics were all 4WD not AWD. Didnt realize that Element and Pilot actually have AWD. The CR-V has full time 4WD piece crap that isnt really AWD, its crap.

And Hondas are notorius for having rusty wheel wells. Each of the Legends I saw at the meet I went to in May had the same rust patch on both rear wheel wells. My Prelude had all four wheel wells. Yet to have a problem with a Subie.

The Legacy seems to be either sold to older lovers of Subaru, or WRX'ers wanting to move up in quality, not people willing to spend 40 g's on an Acura :D

Well take the southern market. Subaru dealers are alot further apart because few feel the need for AWD and why pay the extra cost?

Well then why would one expect a 95 Mercedes to be bulletproof? Come on.

I never said that, either. what exactly is your problem? A 12 year old car is high maintenance, and has no bearing on the conversation. Are you 12 too?

goodbye.

I never said that, either. what exactly is your problem? A 12 year old car is high maintenance, and has no bearing on the conversation. Are you 12 too?

goodbye.

Hi! You said that a Merc wouldnt be reliable. But as any car ages, they accumulate repair bills. The redesigned RL has been out that long. How do you know its any more reliable than the redesigned S class?

Most people would at least expect a 2005 Merc to be reliable. They aren't.

So you say. What information can you give me to support your claim? Secondly, what you definition of reliable? Some people have had problems with their Legacies right off the bat. Every car manufacturer has a few lemons. Its life.

Reading these posts, it appears that SOA may know exactly what they are doing and may understand their sales opportunity (and just as important, the lack of opportunity) perfectly.

Given that Subaru has abandoned its early 04 strategy to use the Legacy to capture Audi and BMW3 market share and retreat to its historic customer base, it looks like SOA is on target with its product offerings. SOA is banking on Tribeca for market share growth, not Legacy.

SOA sedan and wagon customers are a true captive base because they "must have AWD" and because they cannot afford to consider BMW3, Acura, Audi. Thus, Subaru is the only real choice. Maybe even the G35X is too expensive for majority of Subaru market. This basic fact is stated over and over in this topic.

Regardless of all the talk about a super spec LegSti, the current LegSpec B is probably the perfect car at the highest price SOA customers will go and even the Spec. B is sitting on showroom floors for weeks.

Regardless of AWD, the comming Acura TL Type-S will set a standard for a sexy, sporty, tasteful package that is less $ than a comparable BMW3/Audi. Even with an AWD advantage (will not last long), a SOA LegSti will need to be in the ballpark with the TL-S package and that cannot be done for less than $35k.(BTW, that is price of a fully, fully loaded Acura RDX).

Sounds like SOA knows their customer base and it is hard to see them offering a LegSti. But then who woulda thunk SOA would abandon their Legacy performance move up strategy in six months?

Well thought out, but one problem, SOA did NOT try to capture the BMW/Audi market - The didn't ever advertise the Legacy GT.

Second, the Spec B is not a WAGON.

The height of stupidity . . .

Reading these posts, it appears that SOA may know exactly what they are doing and may understand their sales opportunity (and just as important, the lack of opportunity) perfectly.

Given that Subaru has abandoned its early 04 strategy to use the Legacy to capture Audi and BMW3 market share and retreat to its historic customer base, it looks like SOA is on target with its product offerings. SOA is banking on Tribeca for market share growth, not Legacy.

SOA sedan and wagon customers are a true captive base because they "must have AWD" and because they cannot afford to consider BMW3, Acura, Audi. Thus, Subaru is the only real choice. Maybe even the G35X is too expensive for majority of Subaru market. This basic fact is stated over and over in this topic.

Regardless of all the talk about a super spec LegSti, the current LegSpec B is probably the perfect car at the highest price SOA customers will go and even the Spec. B is sitting on showroom floors for weeks.

Regardless of AWD, the comming Acura TL Type-S will set a standard for a sexy, sporty, tasteful package that is less $ than a comparable BMW3/Audi. Even with an AWD advantage (will not last long), a SOA LegSti will need to be in the ballpark with the TL-S package and that cannot be done for less than $35k.(BTW, that is price of a fully, fully loaded Acura RDX).

Sounds like SOA knows their customer base and it is hard to see them offering a LegSti. But then who woulda thunk SOA would abandon their Legacy performance move up strategy in six months?

Tantal, Subaru had press releases saying it was using the LegGT to capture lower end Audi/BMW/Volvo customers. The entire advert campaign "faster than a BMW/Porsche Boxter was part of that strategy.

If you mean that SOA never really did an adequate job of marketing the LegGT, I agree. I also agree that the spec B should have been offered as a wagon and the Speck B. I really think the spec B confuses everything and should have been offered as a suspension upgrade option. Benz has AMG, BMW has M and any special sport model for Subaru should be Sti.

But, reading the posts on this topic, and looking at the poll that says 75% of forum readers would not change their mind about buying another Subaru, as a result of SOA direction, indicates that SOA nows their customer base and is doing what is in their business interest.

These posts make me think a $35k LegSti would not sell to very many existing base and would be a hudge risk for SOA. SOA would need to bet that it would get Acura TL-S, Audi and BMW3 customers to save their jobs.

If you mean that SOA never really did an adequate job of marketing the LegGT, I agree.

I think SOA should just start over. They are always a step behind. Look at the Legacy of 95 - 99. Sure it has more power than your typical 4 cylinder, but one could still get an Accord or Camry V6. Sure they added a 2 cylinders to the outback line, but it took way too long to get some power in the Legacy. Its all backwards to me.

I seriously don't know where you get some of this crap from.

My Leg. is the first car I've ever bought that wasn't RWD. I don't need AWD, even though I live in an area that gets a fair amount of snow. It's a nice feature, but it wasn't a must-have for me. And I can afford BMW, Acura, Audi, Lexus, M-B - I was driving a Lexus prior to my Leg - and I bought the Legacy because it offered a great set of features and a lot of fun for a great price. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I definitely don't qualify as "Captive"

Even with an AWD advantage (will not last long), a SOA LegSti will need to be in the ballpark with the TL-S package and that cannot be done for less than $35k.(BTW, that is price of a fully, fully loaded Acura RDX).

This is simply absurd. The link YOU provided gave a range from $37-$39 (w/nav) for the TL-S, which is $4k over the sticker and $5k over what I paid for an '07 spec.B. And if you think Acura dealers will discount the TL-S, please PM me for my address to send along whatever it is that you're smoking. An '06 TL 6MT w/ Nav and HP tires stickers for $36,195. With what Acura charges for accessories, I think even $39k is optimistic for the TL-S with Nav. And a fully, fully loaded RDX stickers for $37,110 (NOT $35k), although dealers are getting in the low $40s for them due to demand. Figure an AWD TL-S would sticker for $42 min.

There is absolutely no reason SOA couldn't produce a LegSTI (even w/ nav) for about $37k, and I wouldn't be surprised if the STI version would delete the nav to save some costs. Of course this says nothing about whether they will or they won't build one - but they certainly could and could easily price it competitively compared to the TL-S

My Leg. is the first car I've ever bought that wasn't RWD. I don't need AWD, even though I live in an area that gets a fair amount of snow. It's a nice feature, but it wasn't a must-have for me.

Ok, but the majority of us do buy the Legacy for AWD.

I think I'm speaking for most people on this forum when I say If it's not AWD, I'm not interested. PERIOD. I don't care how nice the interior is, how comfortable the seats are or what kind of brakes it has. If they do not meet my first criteria (AWD) then I don't care.

In marketing terms, it's not part of my evoked set. Offer the car in AWD and then you're in my realm of possibilities.

if we cared about the packaging....which we do but not priority...we would have gotten the TL or an audi or lexus.....the legacy will outperform the type S anyday...just throw some sports tires on a stock GT and theres no losing to the type S...we (subaru enthusiasts) are drivers.

Honestly, the legacy spec b really isn't needed. What SOA should have done, is added more power (not too much, but some) to the Spec B, or scratched the spec B all together and called it the legacy sti. How many fing models do we want? Legacy sti, legacy gt, legacy spec b, legacy non gt, legacy superman. Freak, The easy way to fix this is drop the stupid spec b crap and and add sti to the car. Shouldn't be that difficult :) Heck, Chevy added an SS model to alot of its cars, why can't there be a STI Impreza, Legacy and Forrester? Or even a tribeca? That is what they should be doing. The STI name automatically is atributed to performance, and they should market that as much as they can.

Change the spec b. to STI. 99.9% of drivers don't even know about the legacy, let alone the "spec b" but I am sure more know about the STI.

Archived