LegacyGT.com

Window Closes on SOA LegSti Sedan

MtnSub

Acura has been reading your requests for LegSti Sedan and their resposne is quite different than SOA's.

Your posts for the following have been heard and addressed:

Increased linear power band mated to a 6MT.(AT with paddle shift avail).

Brembo Brakes with real sport tires and great looking wheels.

Even better sport seats with higher quality interior materials overal.

Oh yes, the Sti blue that some luv with black interior.

Go to http://www.acura.com and click on future cars. See TL Type-S comming very soon.

In the gallery section, notice how much the center console and control layout, plus overal interior design looks like our LegGTs, just higher quality everything.

Okay, the window may be open a crack for SOA if Acura does not offer the TL-Stype-S with its AWD system offered on the now released RDX and RL Sedan. With the TL Type-S offered at $37K fully loaded beyond anything SOA has ever done, is their room for a LegGT Sti Sedan? I think not, BUT their is room for a LegGT Sti WAGON.

I think Japan Inc. just nailed Subaru back into their Outback/Impreza box.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, we all know that the TL is FWD and I think you guys are right that "Japan Inc." will probably wait a year or two before offering the AWD feature, if at all, but Acura has shown that Subaru does not own the AWD sedan market exclusively, anymore.

I do think this offering does reduce the LegGT Sti opportunity and I found several things very interesting.

1. With the exception of AWD, how closely Acura hit and confirmed market demand for the items you guys have been begging SOA for.

2. How similar the TL Type-S center console and dash looks to our LegGTs. I find Acura/Honda dash designs to be more trendy/boom box looking usually.

It is obvious that Acura thinks their is a market for the car you guys have been begging for right down to the details of your posted specs. The 07 Model year was the optimum opportunity for SOA to deliver the LegGT Sti.

1. With the exception of AWD, how closely Acura hit and confirmed market demand for the items you guys have been begging SOA for..

AWD for me is the biggest issue. I am sick of driving front wheel drive. Have to wait and see how the suspension is, but even in Edmunds http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=116731 first drive, they said it could be stiffer.

The 07 Model year was the optimum opportunity for SOA to deliver the LegGT Sti.

I agree 100%

I like the TL, but 3800lbs (62% over the front wheels), unequal length driveshafts for added torque steer and FWD do not a performance car make, no matter how much you pkg it. I'd expect SH-AWD to be standard given teh marketplace.

looked over the site.....same front Brembo's as are std. on the 6sp TL. Special lighting, seats, a slight performance bump (power and suspension), and some visual cues. Seems more like a Spec B to std. LGT comparison more than an LGT STI competitor.

I test drove the 2006 Acura TL A-spec before I bought the 2005 LGT Wagon.

Didn't like it. Torque steer and the handling felt really squirrelly over bumps (worse than my LGT with coilovers). The heavier car also hurt the handling.

The price was also $10K more than the LGT Wagon. LGTs are heavily discounted in this area but Acura's aren't.

I'm going to test drive the Acura RL for the hell of it. I'ld like to see how well this SH-AWD system works. It seems like they still have unequal length drive shafts in the front.

As someone who owns an '07 spec.B and regularly drives an '06 TL 6MT (the wife's) I can say that this is much ado about nothing. The TL is a bear to launch, and while it's quite capable, it's not even close to the Legacy. And 16 extra hp in a front-driver isn't going to make that much difference. Yes, the color choice is nice, and the seats look great, but that's not enough to cover a $5k difference vs. the spec.B, even if you don't factor in the fwd vs. awd sacrifice.

SOA could undoubted do a LegSTI version for less than that $5k difference that would run circles around the TL-S.

My LegGT-MT wagon will deliver better 0-60 times than the comming TL-S.

Even SH-AWD on the TL-S will not resolve the added weight and balance issue, but an AWD TL-S would have its advantages over anything Subaru has shown.

The TL-S sport suspension may be too soft, but we have heard that about the Spec B and the SH-AWD do offer handling benefit in the the twisties.

TL-S offers superior, sexy brakes.

The TL-S offers better OEM tires and wheels than Spec B.

Everything about the interior and sport seats and options of TL-S are better than Spec. B.

Acura took ownership of the Sti blue for "their" Sport Sedan.

Thread topic is, does this car close window on a LegSti sedan? Will our timid(to be nice) SOA be even more afraid to offer a LegSti with a TL-S in the mkt segment?

It is a given that SOA cannot charge more for a LegSti than the TL-S (AWD or not). It is also a given that SOA will not be able to deliver the same options or interior quality provided by Acura. So how do they compete, if they decide to play?

Match the hardware, Brembos, great wheels & tires, 6MT.

At least match the sport seat quality and sound system option.

Deliver 280+ torque, combined with existing better weight/balance ratio.

Sell this at 2k less than the loaded TL-S.

Even if SOA could deliver that price performance package, would they take the chance, with the Acura TL-S in first?

I think "Japan Inc" is keeping Subaru in their Outback/Impreza box.

it's been their bread and butter since the company almost went under in the 1990's. Why does this surprise anybody? They keep trying new formulas to come up with another 'hit' and haven't struck one yet, sales figures wise.

The TL is great in a straight line or on the highway, but if you really dig in during corners its nose heavy character comes out and it tends to plow alot, which is why when I had an acura i chose the handling of the TSX over the performance of the TL, even though i ended up trading the TSX for a LGT :wub:
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

So, I hear and understand all the reasons you we didn't buy an Acura TL and why we all bought LegGTs, BUT I do not hear any comment on whether you think a Very attractively packaged TL-Type S will increase SOA reluctance to send us a LegSti?

The Acura TL with its shortcommings has been very successful with a much broader general market than the LegGT enthusiasts. SOA has done everything, but hit us between the eyes with a 2x4 to let us know they are not interested in the small Legacy enthusiast market. The broader market that will buy the TL-S just see more HP, V6, much more sporty looking cosmetics, including sexy red brakes and nicer interior.

Given that this car will be offered, at some point with AWD, will this car give SOA more reasons not to provide a LegSti?

286HP 3.6 Vtech.

286 HP is not a lot from the engine. Stage II Legacy will easily keep up with this.

Actually a stock LGT will easily keep up with this...Edmunds has the new TL at 5.7 to 60. 286hp+3800lbs+FWD FTL!!!

The LGTSti woulda been perfect for the 07 model year. I definitely think they missed the boat..SOA better come through for 2008 when the "freshened" LGT styling comes out, or I may be signing on for a G35x.

I don't ever see myself buying a non-AWD car again.

My friend and I recently traded cars for a test drive. I drove his TL aspec and he drove my LGT 05 wagon, with a couch in the back and me in it too. He couldn't believe how fast it was. His quote was that this was the fastest car he had ever driven with a couch in it. I then drove his TL which does have a cai on it. I couldn't beleive how slow it was. It was a very nice car and wouldn't mind driving one, it was just too slow. He couldn't believe the torque.

First, we are talking about soon to be introduced "3.5" TL Type S, see web link.

Second, All of us that own LegGT/MT sedans or wagons know how fast these things are.

I am considering using my LegGT/MT/wagon as a slightly moded, extra utility "Great" car and buying what I want for a fun "prestige Newport Beach" car. My youngest just left for college, $ is not a real limiter and I even considered a Porsche Cayman, but unless I buy the MT Cayman "S", the standard Cayman MT is no faster than my 05 LegGT/MT wagon. Hard to get your brain to accept that. Yes, the standard Cayman is superior in every other category except value and utility.

The Acura TL "TypeS" is very sexy, has so much of what the big market wants, is there space for SOA payback on a LegSti sedan? I accept that the obvious choice for a market killer LegSti WAGON is out of SOA's thinking.

One comment. As long as the Spec B comes with Bridgestone RE 050 tires, there's no car available with _Better_ stock rubber. Several much more expensive cars offer tires like the pilot sports, contisportcontact 2's, etc, but none of these tires is significantly better than the RE 050, developed for the Enzo.

It's truly great rubber, for summer only.

My LegGT-MT wagon will deliver better 0-60 times than the comming TL-S.

Even SH-AWD on the TL-S will not resolve the added weight and balance issue, but an AWD TL-S would have its advantages over anything Subaru has shown.

The TL-S sport suspension may be too soft, but we have heard that about the Spec B and the SH-AWD do offer handling benefit in the the twisties.

TL-S offers superior, sexy brakes.

The TL-S offers better OEM tires and wheels than Spec B.

Everything about the interior and sport seats and options of TL-S are better than Spec. B.

Acura took ownership of the Sti blue for "their" Sport Sedan.

Thread topic is, does this car close window on a LegSti sedan? Will our timid(to be nice) SOA be even more afraid to offer a LegSti with a TL-S in the mkt segment?

It is a given that SOA cannot charge more for a LegSti than the TL-S (AWD or not). It is also a given that SOA will not be able to deliver the same options or interior quality provided by Acura. So how do they compete, if they decide to play?

Match the hardware, Brembos, great wheels & tires, 6MT.

At least match the sport seat quality and sound system option.

Deliver 280+ torque, combined with existing better weight/balance ratio.

Sell this at 2k less than the loaded TL-S.

Even if SOA could deliver that price performance package, would they take the chance, with the Acura TL-S in first?

haha RL. Way too expensive for a Honda. Ill take a new E class with the new 4matic system if im gonna spend $53,000.

Yes, grossly speaking, BUT . . .

Merc build quality these days is poor, and maintenance costs will be way higher than on the RL.

Honda FTW, if you can deal with the styling. Of course, both of these cars are boring, non-performance cars, so who cares ? jk.

:lol:

Merc build quality these days is poor, and maintenance costs will be way higher than on the RL.

I dunno bout that. My roomies 95 Legend is runnin up some bills now. And with this bein Hondas first AWD, who knews what could go wrong. Early 4matics got jammed on and burnt up motors.

plus hondas/acuras rust

Archived