LegacyGT.com

Foglight DRL mod: Make your fogs work as DRLs

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I seriously doubt subaru or any car manufacturer would put high beams as the DRL.

Saturns use high beams as DRLs and DRLs SUCK lol

on 05 - 06 Legacys you can disable DRLs by simply unpluging the connection from the DRL modual, i did and man i lov not having stupid DRLs

there's a thread here some where i'm sure, if i find it i'll link it

here it is WOO HOO http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2117

Well first off, the low beam is housed in the projector.. and the DRL is the light besides the projector.. so it IS the high beam. And secondly, DRL's do not run at 55watts, it's 35watts if I remember correctly. So it will not cause excessive glare, especially during the day.

Yep, several manufacturers do this. Unfortunately, it does cause glare....

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Too bad fog light based DRLs are illegal in the USA. Here is an excerpt from the federal regulations:

"S5.5.11(a) Any pair of lamps on the front of a passenger car,

multipurpose passenger vehicle, truck, or bus, whether or not required

by this standard, other than parking lamps or fog lamps, may be wired to

be automatically activated, as determined by the manufacturer of the

vehicle, in a steady burning state as daytime running lamps (DRLs)......"

Where did you find this? I'd like to see what else these idiots have to say...

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Re the parking lights - note that it's actually the turn signals that are legally used as DRLs, such as the brighter filament of the 1157s in my Canadian-converted Miata.

We've used this Daytime Runing Light Module to convert the bright amber turn signals on my wife's vehicle into DRLs and they work really nicely.

On my LGT I installed a rocker switch in the low beam DRL circuit so that I can turn them on or off as appropriate for conditions.

I've also added the WebElectric Products third brake light pulser to my CHMSL to catch the attention of distracted drivers following me.

We've used this Daytime Runing Light Module to convert the bright amber turn signals on my wife's vehicle into DRLs and they work really nicely.

On my LGT I installed a rocker switch in the low beam DRL circuit so that I can turn them on or off as appropriate for conditions.

I've also added the WebElectric Products third brake light pulser to my CHMSL to catch the attention of distracted drivers following me.

i use these front (modulators) and rear (wigwag) on my motorcycle, good products. bosco

http://www.kriss.com/

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Nice thing about this CHMSL pulser is that it has a timer circuit that disables the pulsing action if not enough seconds have elapsed between when you last let off the brake and its next application. This keeps from annoying the person right behind you with a flashing 3rd brake light in their face as you're creeping along in stop and go traffic.

Nice thing about this CHMSL pulser is that it has a timer circuit that disables the pulsing action if not enough seconds have elapsed between when you last let off the brake and its next application. This keeps from annoying the person right behind you with a flashing 3rd brake light in their face as you're creeping along in stop and go traffic.

the one on my bike does the same thing so when you creep along in traffic it doesn't pulse. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

• 4 weeks later...
I seriously doubt subaru or any car manufacturer would put high beams as the DRL.

Might be an unnecessary bump, but I can corroborate that the 08's have hi-beam DRLs. I think I read somewhere in the literature that they are not at full intensity, in DRL-mode, tho...

Maybe Subaru made the switch because H7s are the origin of the short life of the Subie lights that people have been b!tching about on here... The Hi-Beams are 9005s, I think.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Has anyone thought about just swapping the wires between the fog lights and low beams. I know it would mean you'd have to run the fogs whenever you want low beams but it would eliminate any cutting and splicing under the dash. It would also run the fogs at the reduced voltage drl level during the day. It would be nice to ultimate control over everything wouldn't it.

• 3 weeks later...
Great walkthrough. Thanks for taking the time Zuczek.

One question. What's the purpose of the diode? Is it necessary or just a precaution.

Thanks!

Mostly a precaution in case there is any feedback.

Archived