LegacyGT.com

Foglight DRL mod: Make your fogs work as DRLs

I just did the two-relay mod a couple weeks ago in my '07 and it works as described...

...except that tonight I tried using my brights and they didn't work, the fogs just shut off and the lows stayed on. After reading elsewhere, I've seen that unplugging the DRL harness is only recommended on 05-06 cars. Is that my problem? Any suggestions on what I should do?

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I know, but it should also turn on the high beams lol.

I did some more reading, seems to be a problem only with the '07 models. I need to remove a couple wires from the harness and plug it back in. Hopefully this mod will still work after that.

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

• 4 months later...

I did mod #2 and it works great. Thanks for the details.

I was considering switching the DRL connection at pin A5 from low beam to high beam. Seems simple enough but then the high beam indicator lamp would be on while the DRL was active. The only way around this that I can see would be to install a high current diode in series with the high beam circuit (anode) and the cathode to the B3 pin. That way the DRL module could dim the high beam without activating the high beam indicator lamp. When I find a suitable diode, about 10amp or more I think, I may try it...

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting an old thread here for some clarification -

Relays are in hand and I'm about to do this mod today or tomorrow afternoon. Before I do so I'd like to clear up the following - with method 1 my understanding is that with the ignition on the fog lights will be on regardless of handbrake position. They will be turned off when low or high beams come on but are still manually selectable and therefore I can still have high/lows + foglights on during the night if I choose to do so. Is this correct?

With method 2, my understanding is that fogs will only come on with handbrake down and engine running. They will not turn off when lows/highs are selected unless they are manually selected off. Is that correct?

Ok maybe someone can shed some light on this for me (no pun)

I did mod 2 with the 2 relays but had really shitty wire splice connectors so I am 100% sure some of my connections are not working properly. Anyway I was able to fiddle with it for way longer than reasonable and finally get the fogs to work as DRLs. Here are some issues I have though:

1) fogs are always on when ignition is on regardless of handbrake position and foglight switch position

2) foglight indicator is always on (not sure if that's supposed to be on or not)

3) when I turn on my headlights everything works right EXCEPT - and this is the really weird part - my handbrake indicator comes on.

As I said I am 100% sure this is due to 1 or more of the connections being shitty but I don't really want to spend forever down there checking them all as this was a very difficult area to access. If anyone knows anything about this part of the electrical system and can tell me which connection(s) is/are faulty that would be extremely appreciated. Thanks!

• 6 months later...

What if I want to use a pair of small LED light bars for the DRLs (with a switch for ultimate control) and then feed 12v to the fogs so I can use them independently (but have them turn off when I turn the key off......)

On my 2002 acura tl I jumpered switched 12v using an add a circuit to the fog lights. I want to do this on my bp6...

• 7 months later...
Ok maybe someone can shed some light on this for me (no pun)

I did mod 2 with the 2 relays but had really shitty wire splice connectors so I am 100% sure some of my connections are not working properly. Anyway I was able to fiddle with it for way longer than reasonable and finally get the fogs to work as DRLs. Here are some issues I have though:

i did this mod , it work as advertised !

i had problem with it too at first , the cause was the connection with the splice wire . hard time to get some contact !

let me know if you resolve it

• 1 month later...

I wasn't 100% sure if this mod works on the 08-09s, but I went ahead and tried it. I used the two-relay method, and wired it just as described. Works perfectly...I can use just my fogs, I can use fogs plus running lights, or I can use my fogs and low beams. Or I can run with no lights at all. 10/10, would recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put something here like all the cool people, except there's nothing cool to put here.

Honestly I didnt even put relays in cuz its not necessary all I did was splice the foglight wire into the drl wire and that was it. Everything works fine!

Did you cut the wire to the low beams and then tap into the foglight? I'd like to do this, but do it to the high beams instead. Does anyone know how much power is cut to the lights w/ the factory DRL module?

• 4 months later...
I wasn't 100% sure if this mod works on the 08-09s, but I went ahead and tried it. I used the two-relay method, and wired it just as described. Works perfectly...I can use just my fogs, I can use fogs plus running lights, or I can use my fogs and low beams. Or I can run with no lights at all. 10/10, would recommend.

Hey Fotofan, I have an 08-- using the two relay method, do you know if you are getting full voltage to the fogs when used as DRL's? I only ask, because I'm using LEDs and don't want to ruin them since they aren't designed to run lower than 9v.

Thanks.

Hey Fotofan, I have an 08-- using the two relay method, do you know if you are getting full voltage to the fogs when used as DRL's? I only ask, because I'm using LEDs and don't want to ruin them since they aren't designed to run lower than 9v.

Thanks.

Sorry for the super late response man! AFAIK they're getting twelve volts but I never put a tester on them. They work perfectly tho and I'm pretty sure there's no way to get less than twelve volts with these simple wiring mods.

I put something here like all the cool people, except there's nothing cool to put here.

Archived