LegacyGT.com

Foglight DRL mod: Make your fogs work as DRLs

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...

Hello everyone, and I'm sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I'm looking to do this on my 2009. After doing much research on the site to how I can do this based on the wiring differences in the 2009 I have a few questions:

1) I'm assuming you left the white connector unplugged in order to disable your headlights from being DRLs? Based on the schematics I don't see how the headlights as DRLs are disabled without this being left unplugged since the DRL relay can still be fired.

2) With the Grey wire for the e-brake, how does this wire work? How is it activated/deactivated based on the status of the e-brake? IE is it closed when the e-brake is off, is it closed when the e-brake is on, etc?

3) With the 2009's you can deactivate the DRLs (which are the high beams at lower watts) by just removing the blue/white wire from the white plug. I'd assume that using this wire with a relay into the fog light relay would have the same effect (given the wiring is done correctly)?

4) Where did you get your wiring schematics? I'd like to see if I can get a hold of one for the 2009's.

5) This mod will disable the use of the fog lights while your head lights are engaged which is not something I'd want to do. Following the first choice instructions, what if you were to not cut the blue/white wire on the fog light relay, but instead splice into it and attach that wire to the 87 port of the relay, keep the same connections to the 86 and 85 ports, but add a wire that connects the 86 port to the common? Since the GL and OrW wires will be hot when the DRL is activated it will trip the new relay allowing flow through the common and 87 turning on the fogs, but when you turn on the head lights it will deactivate this new relay but will trip the original fog relay (and keep any back flow from happening since the common and 87 ports will no longer be closed since the new relay shut off)? And of course with this option you would need to disconnect the brown wire from the DRL relay so the headlights don't activate.

Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks for the write up....(um 3 1/2 years ago) :)

Looking at the diagram, it doesn't seem like the fogs run at a reduced DRL voltage, correct?

If you switch the fog switch to "ON" when it's in DRL mode does anything change?

I am looking to see if I can find a way to use the parking lights instead of the fogs. This write up gives a good head start.

-Rob

Thanks for the write up....(um 3 1/2 years ago) :)

Looking at the diagram, it doesn't seem like the fogs run at a reduced DRL voltage, correct?

No, they dont

If you switch the fog switch to "ON" when it's in DRL mode does anything change?

No, nothing changes, they fogs still stay on unless you turn your headlights on then the fogs (in drl mode will turn off) but you can still control the fogs using the Fog Lish switch.

I am looking to see if I can find a way to use the parking lights instead of the fogs. This write up gives a good head start.

Never tried.

-Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I followed the 2-relay version of this mod, yet somehow it seems like its functioning like the 1-relay version....

Key in Run position, park brake on, fog switch on stick will turn fogs on and off.

Key in Run position, park brake off, fog switch does the same.

Park brake has no effect on the fogs.

Not sure what's going on here, any ideas?

(FWIW, I'm not a newbie to electrical, or cars in general.)

Ok, so I followed the 2-relay version of this mod, yet somehow it seems like its functioning like the 1-relay version....

Key in Run position, park brake on, fog switch on stick will turn fogs on and off.

Key in Run position, park brake off, fog switch does the same.

Park brake has no effect on the fogs.

Not sure what's going on here, any ideas?

(FWIW, I'm not a newbie to electrical, or cars in general.)

Start the engine... It will then work

Yeah, I figured this out after a while....never seen a vehicle where the Key in Run position was different than the Key in Run position POST start.....:iam:

Anywho...thanks for the awesome writeup, and the mod is so cool.

• 4 weeks later...

I got relays that are missing the 87 which from your diagrams is not in use anyways.

Magicar 896-1bh-d1 t09, coil 12V. Would these work?

I found the spec sheet for it and it says that the 1BH--Singlepolenormallyclosed.

It's 1B type circuit. 85-86 are the coil 30 open to 30-87a energized. THere is a label for the 87 pin but it is not present.

Thanks again.

• 2 months later...

Question about method 1

Will this method allow me to run fog, independent of the high/low beams ?

What I am looking to do achieve is ability to have low + fogs or high + fogs or just fogs as DRL. But I would want to bypass the part where high/low would turn off the fogs(DRL)

Thanks

Thanks for the write-up, I'll add this to my list of things to do! I've had my DRL's unplugged for a while and just use the running lights as DRL's, but this is a much better fix.

• 2 months later...

Completed Method 2 last evening. Not my favorite mod I've done on the car basically from an access standpoint to the harness wires.. BUT, I like the result!

I purchased my relays from Summit Racing. They have the SPDT relays with plugs and wires. Made the installation a little easier. Another thing that helped was having the car up on jack stands to improve access to the under dash components.

Cool mod over all!

- Allen.

• 2 months later...

i know its an older thread...but where do get the relay? radioshack?

im a noob when it comes to electrical stuff....

is a relay all you need for this mod?

Completed Method 2 last evening. Not my favorite mod I've done on the car basically from an access standpoint to the harness wires.. BUT, I like the result!

I purchased my relays from Summit Racing. They have the SPDT relays with plugs and wires. Made the installation a little easier. Another thing that helped was having the car up on jack stands to improve access to the under dash components.

Cool mod over all!

- Allen.

this?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VIA-80237/

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Is it possible to make the Hi beams the DRLs with the functionality of #2 option?

I am interested in this too as I would like to add hid to low beams and still retain drl's to keep the wife happy. Would you simply tap into the high beam wire instead of the fogs, and would the diode help the high beams run at a lower power? One problem that might occur is the high beam indicator on all the time? Any thoughts or ideas?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived