LegacyGT.com

Please post what tire pressure you run..

Spec B

great thread. i am runnng the stock tires. door says 32/30. i've stuck with this but wondering if it's safe to add more air.

Totally safe, man. As long as you always add air to your tires when they are cold, you can safely fill the tire to the max pressure listed on the sidewall of the tire. No problem at all.

Now, at max pressure the car will handle differently and ride differently. You'll lose ultimate grip but add turn in responsiveness and a harsher ride.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You CAN go too high with tire pressures. If you can find that there's no difference in driving feel between, say 38 and 40 lbs, then I would suggest that you stick with the lower pressure of the two - staying away from the max pressure and also lessening the chances that you will get premature wear in the center of your tires - a classic sign of over inflation.

This is strictly for standard road driving, of course.

You CAN go too high with tire pressures. If you can find that there's no difference in driving feel between, say 38 and 40 lbs, then I would suggest that you stick with the lower pressure of the two - staying away from the max pressure and also lessening the chances that you will get premature wear in the center of your tires - a classic sign of over inflation.

This is strictly for standard road driving, of course.

The tires will not be over inflated at their max cold pressure even when heat build up from driving increases pressures to 4 or 5 lbs over cold max. Some common sense would be in order if, let's say, one day you inflated your tires in the mountains where it was close to freezing and then drove down to the plains where it was 80F plus. In fact, if you're carring a heavy load of stuff, you want to have to pressure nearer to cold max to reduce sidewall flex. This is where load range comes into play.

jogging down notes... hmm i don't never check my tire pressure... how often should i do that?

^ :)

For me, it depends - I'm more lazy when I know I'll just be doing the average workaday commute (which itself is short, and on which I rarely, due to enforcement and also out of simple consideration for the residential neighborhoods through which I travel, ever flog her), I may not check pressures but only once every other week.

However, during times when the weather is rapidly changing - which, for NE-Ohio, is late Fall and early Spring - I'll religiously check every week, and sometimes even more frequently than that, if foul-weather is anticipated (as my Falkens seem so sensitive to even a couple PSI difference).

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

40+ psi is too high to run daily IMO. For the perceived responsiveness of the tire at that pressure you loose a bit in bump-absorption and grip (a tire needs a little give in the sidewall to help it maintain a good contact patch), and really your MPG won't be be that severely affected unless you run for hours at a time on the highway.

I only go that high when I auto/rallycross and when I go on long trips.

• 2 weeks later...
I Ran 35/33 in my RE92's, but bumped up to 39/37 when I made the awitch to my Avon Tech m550s (a pothole claimed by last tire, so I thought it couldn't hurt). I'm getting a LOT more road noise with the Avons, dispite the reviews lauding this tire as relatively quiet. Is the increased tire pressure responsible for this?
The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
How do you guys run such high pressures? I have mine at 35/f 35/r which is what the door says, If i bump up the tire pressure handling becomes sloppy, i find that the higher tire pressure makes it easier for the tire to slide. you also have to remember i live in NY and there is sand, salt and cold roads.

How do you guys run such high pressures? I have mine at 35/f 35/r which is what the door says, If i bump up the tire pressure handling becomes sloppy, i find that the higher tire pressure makes it easier for the tire to slide. you also have to remember i live in NY and there is sand, salt and cold roads.

Are you sure about that? I thought the rears should be 2 psi lower than the fronts. I run 38/36 for my all-seasons (18s), 37/35 for winters (17s).

What you guys also have to realize is that if you are running lower profile tires, tire pressure is pretty much all that is keeping your wheel from getting bent when you hit a pothole.

I usually run around 38-40 psi in my summer wheels (on my old car, that was 17" with 225/45 tires). On the Legacy, I am going to run at least 40 psi (cold). I would rather have a slightly harsher ride than a bent wheel.

As far as track use, it depends on the type of tire that you run and your car. If you are using street tire on the track, you want to run slightly higher tire pressures, and has been mentioned before, you want to set them hot because the goal is to have your tire at a certain pressure while on the track. This means setting it at a level cold where you think it will rise to your hot target level, and check accordingly after a couple of hot laps.

For R-compounds, it depends entirely on the tire. I used to work at a performance shop, and a majority of our customers were either track guys or club racers. While I was pit crewing, the Michelin Tire engineer at the track actually recommended a lower hot pressure for the Sport Cup, around 36 psi, on our customer's car; while Hoosier recommended around 40-42 on their tires.

Archived