LegacyGT.com

If it weren't for the shifter...

I'd absolutely love this car. But man, it just seems the faster I want to shift - the more it balks and the notchier it gets. It's better when everything's cold in the morning, which is opposite what you'd expect. Anybody else notice this? Is the gear oil too thin or something? Is it the linkage? What is it that causes this thing to not be so smooth when you hurry it even just a little?

I'd absolutely love this car. But man, it just seems the faster I want to shift - the more it balks and the notchier it gets. It's better when everything's cold in the morning, which is opposite what you'd expect. Anybody else notice this? Is the gear oil too thin or something? Is it the linkage? What is it that causes this thing to not be so smooth when you hurry it even just a little?

Change M/T oil to Red Line MT-90 synthetic. Makes a world of difference in smooooothing the M/T operation.

I also use Red Line 75w90 synthetic gear oil on the rear diff.

Change M/T oil to Red Line MT-90 synthetic. Makes a world of difference in smooooothing the M/T operation.

Excellent advice. I haven't done anything to my LGT yet, but tightening up the shifter and changing all the fluids are first on my list. :)

On a side note, what do people think is the best STS? Cobb? Kartboy? STi from Subaru? Has anyone tried all 3 and have an opinion on which is the best? Thanks.

I've tried the Cobb and STi. Cobb is on the car now along with a full complement of front and rear bushings, STI transmission mount and Specialty Formulations synthetic in the case and diff. I'm happy.

I'd say the Kartboy and Cobb are similar, but the nod goes to the Cobb for adjustability (the primary reason I bought mine....I wanted the knob lower than what the STI was).

I've tried the Cobb and STi. Cobb is on the car now along with a full complement of front and rear bushings, STI transmission mount and Specialty Formulations synthetic in the case and diff. I'm happy.

I'd say the Kartboy and Cobb are similar, but the nod goes to the Cobb for adjustability (the primary reason I bought mine....I wanted the knob lower than what the STI was).

Thanks man. I was leaning towards Cobb anyway. I can't wait to stiffen this shifter up (I'm used to my old FD shifter).

Re: the transmission mount, what is your opinion on the performance / NVH tradeoff? Worth it for a daily driver?

I had the tranny mount on my WRX and the NVH increase was minimal.

Tom

i think this might be my next task. it would be great if it helped smoothing things out.

I got my Red Line oil at Summit Racing through Amazon.com. Price/service was very good @ 7.95/qt. and under $10 shipping for 9 quarts and 4 day delivery. I could not beat the deal anywhere else.

I got my Red Line oil at Summit Racing through Amazon.com. Price/service was very good @ 7.95/qt. and under $10 shipping for 9 quarts and 4 day delivery. I could not beat the deal anywhere else.

When I went to syn ATF in my old J, I noticed that the tranny ran cooler. Have you noticed any other benefits from going to syn in your LGT?

When I went to syn ATF in my old J, I noticed that the tranny ran cooler. Have you noticed any other benefits from going to syn in your LGT?

I have just changed to the Red Line in my OBW and my wife's Ford Escape(be nice now :icon_wink ) over the past few weeks so I have not had a lot of time to evaluate the benefits yet.

However, the gearboxes seem to shift much smoother and the cars seem to have less rolling resistance (very noticable when coasting). I am hoping that it will translate into less wear and better fuel milage as well as smoother shifting.

back when I had my 2000 2.5RS (which has a pretty similar tranny/shifter to the Legacy), I installed the Kartboy shifter with bushings, which made a world of difference! Really good buy for the price.

I also added the STi transmission mount, which tightened things up further, but I found it to be a little unforgiving and a little too loud for my tastes.

IMHO, not worth the price + installation of the peice. Unless you're hardcore, I wouldnt really recommend it.

MT-90? aren't we supposed to use 75W90NS for the transmission/front differential?

Also try adjusting your technique in shifting. Bob Bondurant suggests using the open palm of your hand to shift; do not grab the shift knob and force it around the gate. Instead, GUIDE it. For example, 2nd to 3rd shift: just push shifter forward with open palm so it disengages and slots into neutral. The shift lever will now move to the center on its own from the spring tension, and then just guide it into 3rd again with just forward pressure of your open palm.

Your shifting will be much smoother and much less subject to the notchy feel you complain about. Try it.

I have the Kartboy SS with a Subaru MOMO knob and I love it. I haven't felt the need to switch out the bushings yet.

The Kartboy SS, although shorter than stock, was still a little tall for me so I took my handy dandy dremel, ground the wider part down (where the knob ususally hits when you screw it on) and cut an inch or so off the thread.

So now, the knob is able to twist all the way down until the shifter hits the top inside of the knob. Much lower than stock. Not as low as you can get a Cobb to go, but IMO, the perfect height. I'll try to get some pics posted.

JDM GT Bilsteins (F-Tanabe R-Pinks)

JDM RSB - Modded Kartboy SS - Subaru Momo Knob

Subastyle Grille

MT-90? aren't we supposed to use 75W90NS for the transmission/front differential?

As I understand it, MT-90 is GL-4 rated and is formulated to smooth the shifting of manual trans. whereas the 75W90NS is GL-5 rated and is a more General Purpose gear oil for non-posi diffs and can be used in manual trans/transaxles.

MT-90

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp?productID=46&subCategoryID=17&categoryID=7

http://www.stealth316.com/2-mtl-tech.htm

75W90NS

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp?productID=47&subCategoryID=17&categoryID=7

Archived