LegacyGT.com

How often should Tires be rotated

Sorry to be a post hog, but I just found these articles which might be interesting to some:

About AWD vehicles:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=18&currentpage=16

About general tire rotation:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=43&currentpage=136

About where to put the better tires:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=52&currentpage=43

Again, sorry to be a post hog here.

Ed

every oil change (3k) and after every driving event (autox/track).. if the tires are directional, I get them unmounted and "flipped" every other oil change.

I've always thought about this (flipping)...seems like the "inside" of tires would get less wear unless you do lots of highway miles.

^ if you run exessive camber with a lot of hard braking, it will wear the inside.. but under track driving, this will all even out as you will corner harder.. so the only thing about the middle part of the tread that will get worn will be based on getting your tire pressures correct.
Keefe

FWIW, the CarTalk guys (who, along with James Woods, are my alma mater's most famous grads) have a slightly different take on tire rotation:

http://www.cartalk.com/content/columns/Archive/2004/September/03.html

Basically, they say it not really worth it since the typical amount you spend to do the rotation is roughly equal to the savings in extended tire life. Of course, this is just for the average consumer, and not geared towards racing, diy-ers, etc.

The thing that bugs me most is places that charge you 50 or 80 bucks to do a tire rotation with an oil change. I mean, once you have the car up on a lift, it really doesn't take that much extra time/effort to rotate the tires. I'd do it more often if it cost less.

But they also aren't dealing with AWD cars. When you have a diff that doesn't like more than 1/4" difference in circumference, that becomes a different problem.

With 2wd cars, if you don't rotate the tires, no big deal.

buddy went 25K without rotating on his Subaru, hehe. AWD is nice in helping tires wear fairly evenly especially compared against FWD. Been rotating once a year, roughly 12K miles.

I had an issue with "feathering". The tires were run at Sube OEM pressure until the 7.5k service interval. I have since increased the pressure to 40/40 psi and the they have been rotated. We'll see.

• 2 years later...

I read this on tire rack :

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=18&currentpage=16

I got 3 "good" tire, one is broken that I need to change. Tire are at 8.5/32 (was 10/32 OEM). I think I'm ok to buy only 2 tires, but my question is... should I place the new on front or on rear ? Then, I may "skip" a rotation to make sure they will be equal ?

I used the search... trying to find the "Why all tire should be equal" thread :p

Using search is against the policy on this forum :p

You don't want to use different tread tires, it will mess up the AWD. I believe tirerack can shave tires before they send it to you so you have the exact right tread.

Shaving tire... could be good idea.

I'll look into this with my local dealer.

But, on tirerack, they also said that Subaru are OK with 2/32, I'm more like 1-1.5/32 difference (I said it's 8.5/32, but almost 9/32, OEM is 10/32).

But, if I understand, tire should always wear all equal on the car ? If so, why rotate ? Rear tire should use more faster ?

I do a "rotation" by swapping out the snow tires, so the summer tires get about a 10,000 mile interval, while the snows get maybe half that.

I do your system too , but more like 12,000 interval and go to winter tires... cant be too far off I've never had an alignment and got 76,000 miles out of the RE92's :)

Just changed the oil on the LGT, and I'm not rotating these tires.

I did my first rotation at ~6-7k and haven't rotated since. 23.6k miles now. The tires look dead even all the way around and have worn in their patterns (which also appear even). They don't make alot of noise and aren't creating any problems, so why rotate them?

The stock re92's at 23.6k miles look to have about 50-60% life left (i.e. I think we'll get 45k out of them). We'll see when they start to hydroplane.

Joe

Shaving tire... could be good idea.

I'll look into this with my local dealer.

But, on tirerack, they also said that Subaru are OK with 2/32, I'm more like 1-1.5/32 difference (I said it's 8.5/32, but almost 9/32, OEM is 10/32).

But, if I understand, tire should always wear all equal on the car ? If so, why rotate ? Rear tire should use more faster ?

Tire's don't wear evenly sometimes. Alignment can be off on one side, one tire can have a defective tread that makes it wear faster, all sorts of stuff.

The idea behind rotation is to keep them wearing as evenly as possible, and also to inspect the wheels and tires/wear pattern every so often.

If the tires are wearing evenly and the wheels and tires are good, no real other reason to rotate AFAIK.

Archived