LegacyGT.com

Poll: Have Your Car Been Affected By Studdering Problem?

Hanger

What Year Legacy Experienced Studdering???  

135 members have voted

1. 1. What Year Legacy Experienced Studdering???

• Other...

No stuttering here. This may be a valid concern for some people... however I believe the majority are experiencing the Fulltime AWD pause from flooring the gas pedal. I think the poll needs to be redone. I almost voted with my Model year. There needs to be an option for "I don't have this problem."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The $6k Is not so free and clear, It is to be used towards the purchase of a new Subaru by Jan. 1, 2006. And I joined the the IMBA in June

http://www.imba.com/tcc/subaru.html

I only wish I could hold out for an '08. All you new 2006 LGT owners, if you studder, start bitching to SOA. After a couple trips to the dealer of course.

and studdering is what? just chugging along at a specific rpm range? my car runs great but i would like to know more about it so i can look out for it in the future.

describe studdering. :confused: bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

• 1 month later...
My 05 is heavily afflicted with the studder. It's been like this since new and has close to 30k miles now. I've tried AP, but the studder always comes back a few days after a reflash. I've has my ECU replaced at the dealership (due to cooling fans sticking on) and the studder seemed to disappear for almost a week, but then came right back again :icon_mad:

>i know that all legacy gt's have a pronounced shudder at idle as air/fuel is adjusting<

My newly-acquired 2005 LGT doesn't have that.

I'm also one of those who would like to see a good description of the studdering/stuttering.

YOU KNOW WHAT!!! i hate my dealership, they want to keep my car over night so they perform a cold start on the car and experience this "studdering" problem for this themselves. They told me, pretty much i was wrong about subaru having a ecu reflash for the 05 models due to studdering ... like i was wrong about the dash rattle and SOA having a fix for that one too. Well when push them around enough hard enough on the rattle issue, guess what, SOA did infact have a fix for it. What do you know.

They told me my 'studdering' problem was just internet hype. F You you idiot for a tech who knows nothing.

I love my car ... basically.

I'm also one of those who would like to see a good description of the studdering/stuttering.

have you ever let off the clutch too quickly in first from a stop and the car jerks and sputters? it feels sort of like that, except it happens while in gear and while accelerating, in my car somewhere between 2,800-3,000 rpm, some of the time

i read somewhere once that this is related to humid air being compressed at the onset of boost, but i can't remember exactly what it said or where i read that. i don't think its unique to lgt's, but i could be mistaken.

YOU KNOW WHAT!!! i hate my dealership, they want to keep my car over night so they perform a cold start on the car and experience this "studdering" problem for this themselves. They told me, pretty much i was wrong about subaru having a ecu reflash for the 05 models due to studdering ... like i was wrong about the dash rattle and SOA having a fix for that one too. Well when push them around enough hard enough on the rattle issue, guess what, SOA did infact have a fix for it. What do you know.

They told me my 'studdering' problem was just internet hype. F You you idiot for a tech who knows nothing.

I sent my 05 in two weeks ago for the 30k service, and requested that the ECU be reflashed for the light stutter problem.

The service writer came back and said that if I changed gas stations, the stutter would go away. Who knew the fix was so simple?

I sent my 05 in two weeks ago for the 30k service, and requested that the ECU be reflashed for the light stutter problem.

The service writer came back and said that if I changed gas stations, the stutter would go away. Who knew the fix was so simple?

The salesman mentioned the car is "picky" about gas when I picked mine up. Later I was wondering if the stuttering is what he was talking about, but the gas station I go to has nothing to do with the stuttering as far as I can tell.

I first noticed the stutter after gassing up at a Mobil, which is one of the stations my salesman recommended. Same thing happens with Citgo, which he also recommended. Maybe I should try the Sunoco that he said to steer clear of. He said the lower the amount of ethanol in the gas the better. I doubt it makes any difference.

I remember seeing one post on this forum saying that getting an external waste gate will fix the stutter, though I don't know why that would be. Another poster suggested that the stutter is caused by the clutch components?

have you ever let off the clutch too quickly in first from a stop and the car jerks and sputters? it feels sort of like that, except it happens while in gear and while accelerating, in my car somewhere between 2,800-3,000 rpm, some of the time

Hmmmm, mine doesn't feel like that at all. Mine feels like there's something physically holding the car back, like a giant has his hand in front keeping it from accelerating fully (for lack of a better way of describing it). It also has a 'on/off' feel during this.......like if you were to take a lawnmower with it's motor running at full RPM and had a switch that could quickly turn it on and off about 10 times a second.......that's what mine feels like, those two things put together.

I use 92 octane BP/Amoco gas, i dont think that is the cause the the studdering problem, if something and prove it to me i will switch to shell.

I love my car ... basically.

I'm going to put this in bold and italics. (how about that?)

I have had my new 06 LGT for a few months, 6K miles. I do experience studdering under cold engine temp, high gear, low rev loads. I anticipate a stage 1 flash to remedy the problem, or at least help. But as far as those factory LGT drivers who say "I have never had the studder..." (and I have said it b4) These people may not know what the studder is, or don't want to admit it.

Please, I apologize if I come off like I know what I'm talking about, but it seems to me that the studder is a low-ball turbo psi issue. Is it possible that Subaru, in an effort to improve the longevity of their cars(waranty) made a design decision that involves a low/safe amount of boost that studders/fizzes out under certain low rpm conditions?

I think my theory is more likely than Subaru producing 50% of their cars with an identical flaw. Subaru knows how to make solid cars, I find it hard to believe that some do and some don't have the problem.

The poll is flawed, it is flawed by misunderstood votes.

My opinion only, And I have been wrong before, anyone have input?

fwiw i replicated the studder for christian at cobb week a go friday and produced some real odd logs...one series of data points timing went from 30 to -9 to 25 deg around 2400 rpms at ~20% throttle

the more i think about it i think it may be the sprung flywheel and sudden spool not the advance or throttle mapping

ill throw it out there ..

i bet a round of beer that if you put in a solid flywheel it will go away

Late model 2006 LGT, stutter is there and noticable when cold and under load. It feels like a very light, very rapid and repeating fuel cut.

What I'd like to know is if anyone with a boost/vacuum guage, AFC or any other monitoring instrument and has stutter can see it in their guages? One of the subie techs made some allusion to the drive by wire being the cause of the problem. If you search other forums with cars featuring DBW (BMW for example), there are complaints about this bogging. Since the DBW interacts closely with the TPS and ECU, perhaps a problem with any of the three will effect the others?

The only couple of times I have experienced what I think might have been the studder was after a gear change from 2nd to 3rd on medium hard acceleration. I changed the way I apply the clutch and have not had the studder happen since. Because I hadn't driven a MT in some years, I thought it was my technique so I changed it. Perhaps the studder is directly related to the transmission.

>i know that all legacy gt's have a pronounced shudder at idle as air/fuel is adjusting<

My newly-acquired 2005 LGT doesn't have that.

Nether does mine.:icon_bigg

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

I'm going to put this in bold and italics. (how about that?)

I have had my new 06 LGT for a few months, 6K miles. I do experience studdering under cold engine temp, high gear, low rev loads. I anticipate a stage 1 flash to remedy the problem, or at least help. But as far as those factory LGT drivers who say "I have never had the studder..." (and I have said it b4) These people may not know what the studder is, or don't want to admit it.

Please, I apologize if I come off like I know what I'm talking about, but it seems to me that the studder is a low-ball turbo psi issue. Is it possible that Subaru, in an effort to improve the longevity of their cars(waranty) made a design decision that involves a low/safe amount of boost that studders/fizzes out under certain low rpm conditions?

I think my theory is more likely than Subaru producing 50% of their cars with an identical flaw. Subaru knows how to make solid cars, I find it hard to believe that some do and some don't have the problem.

The poll is flawed, it is flawed by misunderstood votes.

My opinion only, And I have been wrong before, anyone have input?

Sorry dude, That my GT don't have your problems. I've but over 46k on her in 14 mos. I drive 100 miles a day & do all may own work. My GT run's like a raped ape. Although that it seems that allot of GT owners have this problem. DON'T assume that every owner has this problem. Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Archived