LegacyGT.com

Poll: Have Your Car Been Affected By Studdering Problem?

Hanger

What Year Legacy Experienced Studdering???  

135 members have voted

1. 1. What Year Legacy Experienced Studdering???

• Other...

My studder is also when the car is cold.

I made an appt with my dealer and they said that they would only do the re-flash if it they can experience the studdering.

The tech told me that it costs Subaru a couple of hundred dollars to reflash because an O2 sensor has to be replaced also when the ECU is reflashed.

Is that true?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My studder is also when the car is cold.

I made an appt with my dealer and they said that they would only do the re-flash if it they can experience the studdering.

The tech told me that it costs Subaru a couple of hundred dollars to reflash because an O2 sensor has to be replaced also when the ECU is reflashed.

Is that true?

no, we have done flashes but never replaced the o2's at the sametime unless they are faulty. have replaced a few #4 injectors for misfires on 05 gt mt

I just picked up my '05 LGT. Mine stutters/studders a LOT. All times. When cold, when warmed up, in all rev ranges as well. It's really noticeable as well. It'll be going in to the dealer VERY soon. I'm researching stuff now, on possible fixes (but there are many threads to weed through).

2-3k rpm under low load (like 20-25mph) partial throttle... every time

+1 on my '06 LGT

Studdering may be slightly less after the car warms up, but it is hard to say.

I wonder if the car wants to get up and GO, but the ECU detects this and then holds it back?

The owners' manual mentions that the 2.5L turbo engine will be rough when it is cold. I'm sure not many people read the manual from cover to cover like I did. Of course they don't explain why it will drive rough when cold. I'm always very light with the throttle until the engine temp levels out. I never rev past 3k when the engine is cold.

All after S.O.A. re-flash... Went on test drive with tech, he logged the 20 mile trip on his fancy Subaru computer. Tech clearly felt the issue, yet the A**HOLE service writer declared on my R.O. thats " customer complaint could not be verified " this is illegal. VERY ILLEGAL. Then I called Subaru and nicely bitched, and now I have until Jan. 1, 2007 to use $6,000 towards the purchase of a new Subaru. All it took was one phone call. But, I gotta but a new subbie. But $6,000, i'll take it! good luck!

All after S.O.A. re-flash... Went on test drive with tech, he logged the 20 mile trip on his fancy Subaru computer. Tech clearly felt the issue, yet the A**HOLE service writer declared on my R.O. thats " customer complaint could not be verified " this is illegal. VERY ILLEGAL. Then I called Subaru and nicely bitched, and now I have until Jan. 1, 2007 to use $6,000 towards the purchase of a new Subaru. All it took was one phone call. But, I gotta but a new subbie. But $6,000, i'll take it! good luck!

Is the 6k free and clear or are they wanting you to trade in your car?

WOW. $6k ???

No brainer you should get a new one. Either keep it, or sell at a profit.

Studdering problem on my SpecB. Wasnt sure it was the fact that I was new to driving a turbo vehicle but it can be rather pronounced at times, with no clear indication of engine temp being the culprit. 3k on my baby and will see if I can pinpoint it, if it continues with no resolution I'll be very discouraged :( I'd rather not get rid of her...she's way too damn sexy and fast!

Well, im not sure, my car seems to studder under engine breaking and when i hit the gas while the car is at high 2 to 3 thousand RPM in low gear. Im not sure it i should take it to the dealer, i have just thought of it as bad driving on my part, as in im in too high of a gear. Ususally when the car studders, i downshift quickly and have no problem. Should i take it to the dealer or learn how to drive a manual better lol.

EDIT: is it doing this under engine breaking because of the turbo? or lack of turbo power when i get the accellerator, even gradually because its under vacuum??

I love my car ... basically.

Every Legacy GT I've ever driven stutters during WOT starting from a stop.

^ WOT from a stop - at what RPM is the launch taking place?

If the revs are too low, WOT-launches pretty much will guaranty that the car will fall flat on its face from bogging, and that's distinctly different from "stutter/studder."

Bogging is a launch-technique issue.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Okay, has anyone ever had this problem completely fixed for good by having the dealer reflash their ECU?

^ Yes, if you check some old threads, you'll find that there have been cases reported where the dealership-performed service has gotten rid of the stutter/studder, permanently.

However, there are just as many who have not reached successful resolution via that route.

Similarly, there are those who report elimination of the stutter/studder after using aftermarket engine-management solutions or after seeking custom tunes thereof. But just as with the above, there's also a population of such individuals who have not reached successful resolution even through this route, although this percentage is much smaller, particularly in the last instance.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

^ WOT from a stop - at what RPM is the launch taking place?

If the revs are too low, WOT-launches pretty much will guaranty that the car will fall flat on its face from bogging, and that's distinctly different from "stutter/studder."

Bogging is a launch-technique issue.

Stutter is still there from 3rd to 4th redlined.

^ Now that's bad....

Typically, "studder/stutter" is reported as an off-boost phenomenon - I can't imagine what would be causing such an episode throughout the rev-range, particularly once the vehicle transitions into boost at higher RPM.

Are you sure that these vehicles you've test-driven haven't been fed sub-optimal fuel by the dealer?

^ Now that's bad....

Typically, "studder/stutter" is reported as an off-boost phenomenon - I can't imagine what would be causing such an episode throughout the rev-range, particularly once the vehicle transitions into boost at higher RPM.

Are you sure that these vehicles you've test-driven haven't been fed sub-optimal fuel by the dealer?

That's probably right. Mine doesn't do it as bad as the dealerships cars, but I thought maybe it was a spec b thing. The new spec b doesn't do it, but it feels very slow. I was thinking it was an EM problem that the SI drive fixed.

Car goes in next friday for an ECU reflash most likely. I called my dealer and them doing it to the car wasnt on their records. I figured they havent. I would take it to an omaha dealer but my dealer knows im the customer from hell and that they better do it right the first time. lol.
I love my car ... basically.

Archived