LegacyGT.com

Oh to mod...

So I've got about 5000 miles on my Silver GT 5MT Sedan. I absolutely love the car, I still look for excuses to run errands just to drive the thing, but my trigger finger, or more appropriately my right foot, is getting itchy :twisted:. Here is the list of all the stuff I want to do to the car over the next year or so, what I'd like from you guys is to know what order you'd recomend doing the mods, and available brands/dealers to look at. Tighten up the suspension. I've already replaced the tires, that was a no brainer. One other thing I've thought about are swaybars/strutbars, those seem like simple enough bolt on parts to create a more rigid frame. I don't really know what’s involved in lowering the car slightly (3/4" to 1") and lessening body roll, but I'm guessing I'd need new coilovers or springs – educate me here. Power Mods. - ECU (accessport most likely), up pipe, turbo back. I'll probably wait till Cobb comes out with a Stage 2 Kit and pony up the big bucks to get it all at once. Stereo replacement - Are there any USDM console replacements yet for a standard DIN sized head unit? Body Kit - I'd consider doing this as a last step, once I run out of other things to spend money on :D, my understanding is that everything is imported and overpriced currently but if something came out that caught my eye I'd consider it. I don't have any experience under the hood of a car; save to top off fluids and change the oil, my previous ride was a 1981 Mercedes 240D, so this is my first real car. How much of this stuff can I do myself with the right tools and good documentation, and for the stuff I can't do, where in North Carolina should I look to have work like this done? Thanks in advance! -Sam-

Thats what you say now only a stage II... :D Pretty soon you will be out on the corner peddling VTEC stickers and Type-R badges to unsuspecting children just to get your FP Green Fix! Turbocharging is worse than crack, you will do anything just to get to that next level, that extra pound of boost. Watch out! Stories of RobY... Boost addict...

[quote name='Demi9OD']Tighten up the suspension. I've already replaced the tires, that was a no brainer. One other thing I've thought about are swaybars/strutbars, those seem like simple enough bolt on parts to create a more rigid frame. I don't really know what’s involved in lowering the car slightly (3/4" to 1") and lessening body roll, but I'm guessing I'd need new coilovers or springs – educate me here. Power Mods. - ECU (accessport most likely), up pipe, turbo back. I'll probably wait till Cobb comes out with a Stage 2 Kit and pony up the big bucks to get it all at once. Stereo replacement - Are there any USDM console replacements yet for a standard DIN sized head unit? Body Kit - I'd consider doing this as a last step, once I run out of other things to spend money on :D, my understanding is that everything is imported and overpriced currently but if something came out that caught my eye I'd consider it. Thanks in advance! -Sam-[/quote] Well, I might as well give people another reason to abuse me... :lol: The suspension is excellent. Start with rubber, and see where that leaves you. For a mild upgrade, I would try the pink STi springs and the STi pillowball lateral links set. As the GT is slightly undersprung, the slightly increased spring rate and 3/4" drop of the STi springs should be perfect. The danger is in losing the excellent ride quality of the stock GT. Just remember that a body roll-less car can be a handling handful, and it's probably going to be uncomfortable. I don't believe in power mods, so I'll let someone else deal with that one. Apparently the big difficulty with the Legacy is that the console is a one-piece setup, which is something of an impediment to a stereo swap. Many have changed the speakers out, threads that will show themselves after a search. The only body kit I have seen (again, search) is the Corazon. Man, that is one nice kit. Audiesque, but very elegant and (most importantly for me) it look OE, rather than the silly, "Hey, I'm aftermarket" look of most body kits. Good luck with the car, Kevin

[quote name='Xenonk']I guess you havent seen what I already did with my GT huh ;) Keefe[/quote] Hey Keefe, it might be helpful to compile somewhere all that you've done. You're a busy lad, so some of us have had a hard keeping up. But something with what you did and how it works would be of value, particularly from the real-world experience standpoint. Kevin

Get an intake system before or at the same time as the exhaust. The exhaust alone does very little on this car without more air coming in. Also, lighter wheels. It's like giving your car more horsepower, better braking distances, better steering responses, and better gas mileage all in one. Lighter rotational mass, means more power to the ground...which is like adding horsepower without modding the engine. Skip on the body kit. Just adds weight and adds drag which reduces aerodynamics. It might look nice, but the lighter, sleeker your car is the faster and quieter (and better gas mileage) you'll get. Oh, and if you're going to do all this, don't neglect the brakes. Better (lighter) brake rotors and pads will help performance, but also help you reel in all the extra power you're looking to get out of the car. Have fun.

Intake + Subaru FI = Confused MAF= Lean= Bad Any Questions? Most high horsepower subarus run stock intakes up to stage 4. Adding an intake to a Subaru Forced induction vehicle without engine managemant leans the car out, confuses the MAF, and in most cases decreases overall horsepower. :D

North Carolina you say... Try Teague's Auto: [url]www.boxer4racing.com[/url] in Asheville (ask for Dale) or Prestige Subaru in Asheville (ask for Kent) or Folger's Subaru in Charlotte (ask for Stephen) tell whomever you call that Opie sent ya! :D

[quote name='RobY']Intake + Subaru FI = Confused MAF= Lean= Bad Any Questions? Most high horsepower subarus run stock intakes up to stage 4. Adding an intake to a Subaru Forced induction vehicle without engine managemant leans the car out, confuses the MAF, and in most cases decreases overall horsepower. :D[/quote] Yeah, sorry, I should have been clear about the ECU retune though with that. But since he mentioned he was planning on doing that anyway, I figured that part didn't need to be said. Thanks

By the by, anybody just add a K & N drop in filter into the airbox (do they make it yet for the LGT?) Any CEL thrown from it? When I get my car dynoed, I might just bring one along and try a run with the stock airfilter. Then let the car cool a bit and do a run or two with just a drop in K&N and see if it even adds one hp. I know dyno runs can fluxuate by several hp anyway, but I'd look at an average of the runs and what the graph says and draw a conclusion from that. I've always been curious if it much.

[quote name='Driver72']By the by, anybody just add a K & N drop in filter into the airbox (do they make it yet for the LGT?) Any CEL thrown from it? When I get my car dynoed, I might just bring one along and try a run with the stock airfilter. Then let the car cool a bit and do a run or two with just a drop in K&N and see if it even adds one hp. I know dyno runs can fluxuate by several hp anyway, but I'd look at an average of the runs and what the graph says and draw a conclusion from that. I've always been curious if it much.[/quote] I tried to find if they made one which would fit the LGT this morning actually. Didn't have anything listed, but i would assume one of the sizes they already make will fit, just need to figure it out. I doubt it will make much of any difference though...

[quote name='Driver72']Get an intake system before or at the same time as the exhaust. The exhaust alone does very little on this car without more air coming in.[/quote] I have been told in numerous posts that the intake system in the subi shouldn't be messed with due to changes in MAF that throws off the turbo. Any thoughts? I've done the turbo back exhaust. My next upgrade will be the cat-less up-pipe next week. I am hoping that the turbo will spool quicker. After that I am heading to Cobb for the Accessport. John

[quote name='Opie']AVO has a drop-in reuseable filter availible, I ordered mine earlier this week, hope to have it soon: [url]http://avoturboworld.com/avoshop/index.php?cPath=1_58_3_63[/url][/quote] Geez, that looks like a direct rip off of the K & N filter. For shite sake, AVO could of at least pick a different color then what K & N uses.. AVO better watch out, they may get hit with a suit.

[quote name='Deer Killer']dyno before and after (from idle)? puhleeese?[/quote] Deer, it will be several weeks away. I just got the car two days ago and only have 60 miles on it so far. I probably won't do a dyno until it has AT LEAST 1000 miles on it. I've set up a deal where I'm going to dyno the car a couple times completely stock. Then run down the road and have the Falken Ziex Ze-512's put on the car (they're 3 pounds lighter per tire) and return for a couple more dyno runs. I want to see what results just losing those 3 pounds does. Of course I'd let the car cool a bit before hooking it back up. Then I'm going to possibly drop in the K & N filter (or similiar if there's a tested one that's supposedly better) and do a couple there too. And for the h3ll of it, I may then let the car cool for 15 minutes, throw in a bottle of Octane Booster and do a couple more runs to see if that shiite really makes a difference or not. I, of course, will post complete results. I figure this will take place in a month give or take. Then I'll return when the car has about 5K miles on it and run it again to see what the additional 4K miles has done for break in and power.

[quote name='Demi9OD']I don't have any experience under the hood of a car; save to top off fluids and change the oil, my previous ride was a 1981 Mercedes 240D, so this is my first real car. -Sam-[/quote] Wow a 240D! Years ago a friend had one of those and it was quite possibly the slowest car anyone could possible own. Solid as a rock, and about as fast a one too! I know you have 5K miles on the LGT, but after a 240D I'm surprised that you are itching to mod for more power. I believe the 240D had 72 hp!

[quote name='Boostjunkie'][quote name='Demi9OD']I don't have any experience under the hood of a car; save to top off fluids and change the oil, my previous ride was a 1981 Mercedes 240D, so this is my first real car. -Sam-[/quote] Wow a 240D! Years ago a friend had one of those and it was quite possibly the slowest car anyone could possible own. Solid as a rock, and about as fast a one too! I know you have 5K miles on the LGT, but after a 240D I'm surprised that you are itching to mod for more power. I believe the 240D had 72 hp![/quote] 67 my friend.

[quote name='Demi9OD']So I've got about 5000 miles on my Silver GT 5MT Sedan. I absolutely love the car, I still look for excuses to run errands just to drive the thing, but my trigger finger, or more appropriately my right foot, is getting itchy :twisted:. Here is the list of all the stuff I want to do to the car over the next year or so, what I'd like from you guys is to know what order you'd recomend doing the mods, and available brands/dealers to look at. Tighten up the suspension. I've already replaced the tires, that was a no brainer. One other thing I've thought about are swaybars/strutbars, those seem like simple enough bolt on parts to create a more rigid frame. I don't really know what’s involved in lowering the car slightly (3/4" to 1") and lessening body roll, but I'm guessing I'd need new coilovers or springs – educate me here. Power Mods. - ECU (accessport most likely), up pipe, turbo back. I'll probably wait till Cobb comes out with a Stage 2 Kit and pony up the big bucks to get it all at once. Stereo replacement - Are there any USDM console replacements yet for a standard DIN sized head unit? Body Kit - I'd consider doing this as a last step, once I run out of other things to spend money on :D, my understanding is that everything is imported and overpriced currently but if something came out that caught my eye I'd consider it. I don't have any experience under the hood of a car; save to top off fluids and change the oil, my previous ride was a 1981 Mercedes 240D, so this is my first real car. How much of this stuff can I do myself with the right tools and good documentation, and for the stuff I can't do, where in North Carolina should I look to have work like this done? Thanks in advance! -Sam-[/quote] suspension. i would slap some sti springs or wait till eibach kit come out with it for moderate drop of 1 inch,, should kill lot of the body roll without sacrificing too much ride quality.. alos i would get a rear strut bar ans some endlinks to tighten up the rear powermods- i would start with upipe first, then full turboback exhaust then an ecu upgrade. i wouldnt upgrade the airbox unless u r gettin a turbo upgrade, cause its just pointless bodykit- there will be lots available soon.. i say go for something subtle.. big chunky kits look like crap

[quote name='Demi9OD'][quote name='Boostjunkie'][quote name='Demi9OD']I don't have any experience under the hood of a car; save to top off fluids and change the oil, my previous ride was a 1981 Mercedes 240D, so this is my first real car. -Sam-[/quote] Wow a 240D! Years ago a friend had one of those and it was quite possibly the slowest car anyone could possible own. Solid as a rock, and about as fast a one too! I know you have 5K miles on the LGT, but after a 240D I'm surprised that you are itching to mod for more power. I believe the 240D had 72 hp![/quote] 67 my friend.[/quote] Thought it got an upgrade from 67 to 72 hp in 1979 or 1980, but I could be wrong... either way I looked up the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times: 1980 Mercedes-Benz 240D (4spd) 19.7 21.4 :o That is really movin'.... for a moped! :D In all seriousness, the old MB diesels were great cars. My parents had a 1982 300SD. Slow as hell around town, but one you got up to speed it was steady cruiser. Sorry for the off-topic tangent :oops:

Archived