LegacyGT.com

Looks like my car is going to rot in my driveway for a bit

My tags expired this past Sunday, and so my car as been sitting untouched since then. The dealership said they'd get right on top of it. That was this past Saturday when I went to find out what is going on. Yesterday, my Dad called (again) and they told him that they don't expect to have them before next Wednesday. He asked for dealer plates, and the sales manager said he doesn't know if he could give them and he has to ask his manager who is out of town. He said that they got in all the extra options I ordered, like the subwoofer and the mirrors. But, looks like I'm going to be waiting until next weekend to drive it and finally finish up with all this stuff. So that's where I stand. I got the car, and it's in my driveway, but I can't drive it. Look, but don't touch. So irrating. They should compensate for this somehow, maybe throw in the heavy duty rubber mats or something. Half a month of not being able to use your car is rubbish. - Mike

this may be a stupid question, but why don't they just make up a new temp tag? A dealership (albeit in Indiana) wasn't able to get the title info out to my parents in time when they bought their new Camry and just re-issued the temp plate for another 30 days. I guess I don't understand why the dealership is being so slow, there's really no excuse. You could always demand a loaner car :-)

[quote name='eamiller']this may be a stupid question, but why don't they just make up a new temp tag? A dealership (albeit in Indiana) wasn't able to get the title info out to my parents in time when they bought their new Camry and just re-issued the temp plate for another 30 days. I guess I don't understand why the dealership is being so slow, there's really no excuse. You could always demand a loaner car :-)[/quote] They said it is illegal to give out another temp. - Mike

Call the dealership and ask them to provide you with a loaner or you're going to seek reimbursement for every day the car sits in your driveway. You're paying for a car you cannot drive. If all else fails call 1-800-Subaru3 and file a complaint. This is a Subaru dealership that's not taking care of its customer. SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Your dealer sucks. My dealer gave me temp tags that were good until 10/26! ( I got my car the first week of August) My plates showed up last week though. You have gotten quite the runaround with your Leg. Hope all the headache is worth the pleasure of the whooooooooshhhhhhhhhhhhh. :)

[quote name='Subietonic']Call the dealership and ask them to provide you with a loaner or you're going to seek reimbursement for every day the car sits in your driveway. You're paying for a car you cannot drive. If all else fails call 1-800-Subaru3 and file a complaint. This is a Subaru dealership that's not taking care of its customer. SBT[/quote] Mike, I agree with this statement. You should either get "dealer plates" or a loaner vehicle. I'm surprised the dealer is treating you this way! Mark

Call your DMV or Attorney General. This is BS, they should be able to issue you a new temp plate. Don't take this sitting down. You need to get on the phone.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Isn't this a breach in your lease contract? Call an attorney, and have him call the dealership. Have your attorney inform the dealer that you are bringing the car back and you want your 'due at signing' deposit back, otherwise you are going to sue them for that, and for a lot more due to the stress this has put on you.

I would demand dealer plates or a loaner. Make up some cock and bull story that you can't get to work. Or you could just drive it and if you get pulled over explain to the cop what is going on. I got pulled over by the cops 2 days after buying the car cause the plates were matching up with the car.....first question he asked was did you just buy it. I said yes...he said goodbye. :)
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

[quote name='Euclid']Just drive the car. It's not like the temp tag is expired by months. No one is going to hassle you for having temp tags that are slightly over due. Sheesh talk about making a big deal about nothing.[/quote] That's supposed to be a joke, right? You are apparently hoping that a sympathetic cop pulls you over for expired tags and won't ticket you and impound your car. Dollars to doughnuts that you would.

I guess you guys must be from places where cops enjoy spending their days pulling people over for having temp paper plates that are expired by a few days, and impounding them.?. I'm sorry but getting lawyers involved in such a matter seems absolutely rediculous to me, but hey this is america and we wouldn't be american if we weren't getting lawyers involved in everything. *edit* And in the chance that it's parked somewhere and the parking patrol sees it and decides to give you a ticket (I'm doubting the impound scenario), walk on into the dealer and give them the ticket.

ON a somewhat related note, how do I know if my tags are expired? I bought my GT on 8/20, and it's now 9/23, and I still have not received my license plate. I checked the little paper temp license and it doesn't have any expiration on them...

[quote name='chinchy']ON a somewhat related note, how do I know if my tags are expired? I bought my GT on 8/20, and it's now 9/23, and I still have not received my license plate. I checked the little paper temp license and it doesn't have any expiration on them...[/quote] Your temp tags should have the expiration date written on them or printed somewhere. They usually last 30 days from the purchase date of the car

I'm from NYC, and yes, I would be pulled over in a heart beat and ticketed. There is no sympathy from police officers, they have quotas to meet, and they been threaten by the city to write more tickets. There has been stories here in the newspapers of people being ticketed for break obscure laws from sitting on a milk crate to a pregnant woman ticketed because she was tired and sat down to rest on the stairs leading down to the subway. Expired registration, they would be on me in a heart beat. And my insurance would turn around and raise my premium. I am not criticizing the police department; they have a job to do and are under a lot of pressure to bring in more revenue to the city. I [b][u]WILL[/b][/u] be calling Subaru tomorrow about my situation. I will be calling the credit card company and putting a stop payment on my down payment on Monday if they don't get my registration fixed. I also expect to be compensated for this aggravation, I expect them to make good for messing up, whether it’s heavy duty floor mats or something else, they have to make good on their errors. I will no accept anything less. If it goes longer than next Wednesday, then I'm also calling the bank that I have the loan with. - Mike

Wow... so many people hating on us dealership types. Guys.. please... before you get bent out of shape consider the following 1. It is ILLEGAL to issue 2 30 day tags for the same car. The dealership can/will get fined as well as losing it's ability to write them in the first place. 2. 99% of the time the delays in getting a real tag is due to the DMV taking forever to get the paperwork. Sorry guys.. we have no say after the paperwork is submitted. 3. Chances of you getting in trouble over the 30 day tag are next to nothing. Have a police officer call the dealership if there is any confusion should you get pulled over. So please... stop hating on all the dealerships when it's not really us causing the problems. In the 6 months I've worked for the dealership I've really come to respect the work that goes into putting our butts in nice new seats. Just so you know.. throwing a fit just labels you as a trouble customer and demanding free things will get you no where. Being calm and asking to speak with the title clerk to get some answers will yield much better results. -Tim

Euclid, I have never sued anyone in my life, but if placed in this position I would certainly threaten to do so. One time, about 4 years ago, I bought a '98 Trans Am. As the 30 day limit approached on my temp tag, my title had yet to arrive. Then, I get this phone call from the dealer. "Ummm, the car we sold you was a stolen car. We bought it at auction in Oklahoma City, but were unaware of its status until now, and we need you to return the car to us ASAP. We will refund your purchase and reimburse for any expenses incurred." WTF? Did I sue, considering that HAD I BEEN PULLED OVER, I probably would have been cuffed and booked? Nope, I just took the car back, chalked it up as a free ride for 25 days, and when on to buy a '99 model TA later that day. Are you reading this, Crazyhorse? I'll address your concern as well in this post. Back to GodwhoisMike's situation, to me it seems absolutely inexcusable to let something this important slip given the fact that Mike can't drive his car now. I'm afraid I don't really understand how the Leasing/Tag thing works though, you haven't had your car for 30 days yet, if I recall correctly the timing of your "I just got my new Legacy" post. Let me open up another browser and do a quick search here... Okay, here it is [url]http://legacygt.com/viewtopic.php?t=2653[/url] According to this you picked up your car on Tuesday, August 31st. So your temp tag should not expire until next Thursday, Sept. 30th. Unless the temp tag for a leased vehicle is different or something. At any rate, on the other subject Crazyhorse has brought up, there are good dealers and there are crappy dealers out there. I'll bet everyone here has a story about a crappy one they've encountered at some point, though. :roll: So forgive me, but I'm going to label this outfit a "crappy dealer," if they did indeed let the temp tag expire on their leased vehicle. -- P.S. Crazyhorse, the last TWO times I've bought a vehicle (1 used, and 1 new), the salesman was super awsome. But then, both times, the paperwork guy in the office that I had to finalize everything with damn near blew sale with me. The pushy little bastards try to sell extended warranties, number-etching, and if you don't have perfect credit {which I finally achieved this time and was spared} they bash you, make you feel as small as a worm, and then try to stick you with an extra couple percentage points on your interest rate. When you say no to the warranties, and the other garbage, they become downright rude and overbearing. Horrible paperwork drone: "Well let me ask you this, what will you do if say... 4 years down the road, your transmission goes out and you have to come up with $2500?" Me: "STFU you pushy little MFer, my payment is lined up to be $325 a month, why would I choose to pay an extra $20 a month for the next four years, considering I'll most likely be selling the car well before the tranny decides to go? What's your kickback on this deal? (Of course that's what I WANT to say, but instead I just say no and pray that my time with his terrible individual ends soon) Don't ever move up to become that deal-closer guy, Crazyhorse. Once you take residence in that office, you become the devil :twisted: ---

im sure LA is as bad with cops as NYC. my friends and i bought our cars within the same year , we had our temp tags on forever, and no bullshit, i didnt know they expired:) i had mine on the longest, 6 months...it saved me from one of those red light cameras:), i even got pulled over for speeding and the cop gave me a warning...then my dad told me to put it on. just my experience, but seriously, someone at the dealership screwed up, i mean how often does this really happen? ive never heard of it in the 4 years ive been in online forums. the dealer handles this, so they should take responsibilty. look, salesmen are in it for the money, and if on commission only, they have to be ruthless(especially the closer). my friend moved into car sales, i thought he would be cool, but after training and their "motivation" he became a dick and i saw how it works. i cant be like that, thats why im an average salesman, i wanna keep my dignity and respect for others. ive only done sales for 5 years tho, maybe if i had a mortgage and property tax, id be a ruthless ass also:)

I hate going off topic... but... You're right there are good dealerships and bad ones. I'm just tired of working 12-13 hours a day helping people out and all I see on the internet is how all dealers are trying to rip people off. Face it guys... we're there to make money like every other business. Don't expect to walk into a dealership and get everything free. I have an STi that I have to make a car payment on afterall. ;) As for the business manager... they need to make money as well. Some of them can be jerks... but it is their job to try and sell you a warranty. Just understand next time that that's what they get paid to do and don't get bent out of shape about it. If they get insistant simply tell them you reallize they're doing their job but you prefer to work on your own car and you understand the risks you're taking not getting it. Chances are in this case it's not the dealership and it's the DMV... that's usually the cause of the problems with getting registrations and tags I'm afraid. I had a customer chew me out because his hadn't come in and he had 10 days left on his 30 day tag. But you definitely don't have any legal grounds for a lawsuit really. Oh... reason we can't put you out on a dealer tag... the law states that if you wreck a car with a dealer plate on it the dealer is liable. So... we can't very well turn you loose with one because the DMV dropped the ball.

This dealer was scum from the beginning so it is not suprising that there is more trouble now. [url]http://www.legacygt.com/viewtopic.php?t=2422[/url] Crazyhorse, I wouldn't assume that the laws in New York the same as in North Carolina. There is no doubt that ther are good dealers and bad dealers - this is a bad dealer.

Archived