LegacyGT.com

Gas Treatment . . . good idea or waste of money?

I save about $2 per tank at Safeway rather than Shell, Chevron, etc. I figure I'm still taking care of the engine while saving a few $ if I refill 2-3 times/month and periodically use a quality additive. A service writer told me the additives are worthless. My feeling is better safe than sorry. I'm going to try that BG stuff.

After a (costly) repair for clogged fuel injectors in my last car, I've sworn off cheap gas. I used to fill up at Arco, and only Arco, because it was typically a good 5c/gallon cheaper.

Anything I saved by buying that cheaper gas was lost with the ($100+) service.

I generally use Hess (close to my house) 93 oct is what I get. I think I'll be getting some bg44k to go in the tank when I do my next oil change.:) I don't generally use an octane booster/injector cleaner, about the only thing I add is alky/h20 inj.:icon_wink
Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

• 3 weeks later...

Very much so a waste of money.

I have owned a few cars and my parents into the 250k range and never a fuel system issue or significant performance drop. This was using the least expensive usually no name brand fuel.

However the justification is like vitamins. They make you feel better but may not really do a thing, but that in itself is worth something for the placebo effect and mind ease for some of "doing good".

Archived